Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

TPMS for the Toad

We are newbies, currently researching TPMS for our coach and toad. Our toad has a tpms installed form the factory, I believe it is inside the tire. How will that work with tpms on the coach? If we put the same tpms on both coach and toad, will the external tpms override the factory installed? Any ideas?

Thanks!
imfuzzybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use an aftermarket TPMS that screws onto the valve stem. I install them when I'm getting ready to go on a trip, then remove them when I get home.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

Putting an external one on the toad to match your coach will not interfere with your toads internal. Have used both for several years.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

We blew a front tire on the Jeep while towing and even though we had a rear monitor we couldn't see it because of the fender. With the power of a diesel motorhome we didn't even feel any difference while driving. I don't know how long we drove with it before someone passed by with the dreaded hand pointing to the rear. We pulled over and we were practically riding on the rim. Within days we got the TPMS for the Jeep. We had already had it on the motorhome. We think they're very important.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't found or heard of an aftermarket TPMS system that will interface with a toad OEM system unfortunately. Also I haven't heard of an aftermarket TPMS sensor installed on a toad that interfered with the OEM system.

Good thing to have on the toad. The cost of four additional sensors will quickly pay for the cost the first time there's a problem. I don't always travel with the toad so the additional sensor, which I only install when towing, double as back ups for the coach incase I have a low battery or other such problem with a coach sensor.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

The internal TPMS on your car will not communicate with any aftermarket TPMS system. That's why you need external sensors on your coach and toad.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I haven't found or heard of an aftermarket TPMS system that will interface with a toad OEM system unfortunately. Also I haven't heard of an aftermarket TPMS sensor installed on a toad that interfered with the OEM system.

Good thing to have on the toad. The cost of four additional sensors will quickly pay for the cost the first time there's a problem. I don't always travel with the toad so the additional sensor, which I only install when towing, double as back ups for the coach incase I have a low battery or other such problem with a coach sensor.

That will work but you neeed to reprogram them PITA!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the one I bought and use on my toad when towing behind the MH.

A couple notes:

1) The solar panel doesn't do a good job of keeping the internal battery charged. I would plug the power cable into the receiver to charge the battery every couple days.

2) The transmitters don't have far enough range to provide consistent readings to the receiver when I mounted it on the MH dash so we placed the receiver on the wall behind me. I could hear any alarms, and we'd look at the pressure readings during stops or whenever walking to the back of the MH.

It did sound an alarm one time, we evidently picked up a nail and the pressure was slowly dropping in the tire. Had to buy a new tire at Walmart.

Solar Wireless TPMS Car Tire Pressure LCD Monitoring System + 4 External Sensors | eBay
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
That will work but you neeed to reprogram them PITA!

Shouldn't have to reprogram them. Just label them so that you always return them to the correct tire and you shouldn't have a problem. At least I don't with mine (Pressure Pro)
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
Shouldn't have to reprogram them. Just label them so that you always return them to the correct tire and you shouldn't have a problem. At least I don't with mine (Pressure Pro)

Not if you take one from your toad and use it for a spare for the coach! Hopefully they are set to different parameters.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
TPMS for the Toad

I have 6 on the MH, 2 on the tow dolly, and 2 on the rear wheels of the toad. MH all set at 110 (haven't weighed the MH yet), dolly set at 45, and toad set at 35. I have signal extenders at the back of the MH. One inside and one outside. I installed the outside extender just today because I kept getting Loss Of Signal on a couple sensors. Explained this to company and they sent me the outside extender to fix. Will know for sure next trip. IMHO, you should have a TPMS sensor on every wheel on the ground. The sensors are much less expensive that possible damage without them.
http://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder/
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not if you take one from your toad and use it for a spare for the coach! Hopefully they are set to different parameters.
Can't speak for every make and model TPMS available but my TST based system individual tire position parameters (high/low pressure and temp alarm) are preset for each tire position and sensor address programing establish which sensor is on which tire. I never need to change tire parameters only sensor address, a four digit alphanumeric code, when I move or replace a sensor. Takes maybe two minutes. All my sensors are marked for which position and which vehicle.

Once programmed for the coach the sensor stays with the coach. The dead one goes back to TST and when the new one arrives it gets marked, programmed for the toad tire position needed and set aside for the next time we take the toad along. Reprogramming for a new or moving a sensor between toad and coach isn't much harder than resetting the dash radio time twice a year for the spring and fall time shift or scanning for new radio station as we move on down the road.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Of course. I did say that they had to be returned to the same position as removed (hence the label). Obviously, if you change the position of the sensor, the receiver doesn't know that and you'd have to reprogram.

And, you don't run your toad tires at 120# ???? No wonder I keep blowing tires!
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad