Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The ultimate in tire pressure systems Vigia Automatic Tire Pressure Systems
The Vigia system might be "the ultimate" but it is totally impractical and for RV use. How many RV owners are going to put air plumbing IN their axles. Does any RV owner actually have a Vigia system?

f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
The Vigia system might be "the ultimate" but it is totally impractical and for RV use. How many RV owners are going to put air plumbing IN their axles. Does any RV owner actually have a Vigia system?
Actually I have seen a number of the systems installed on motorhomes. The system is required for over the road buses in Mexico so it is a proven system. It is very easy to install. I see no reason for it to be "impractical" for any use.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Actually I have seen a number of the systems installed on motorhomes. The system is required for over the road buses in Mexico so it is a proven system. It is very easy to install. I see no reason for it to be "impractical" for any use.
The Vigia System is not required on Buses and Over the Road Trucks in Mexico they simply have a dealer in Mexico. The PSI Auto Inflation System sold by Meritor the one you see on 85% of every trailer in the US, as well as 49 other countries is by far the best Auto Inflation System on the market, and they have partnered with TST(the Exclusive Aftermarket TPMS of PACCAR parent company of Peterbilt and Kenworth) and have patented a new hose that has a port for the TST Sensor, this will allow the end user to not only have Auto Inflation but real time TPMS. I would be very leary of having anything connected to internal rotor system. Directly to the valve stem is easier safer proven way to go.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
" I would be very leary of having anything connected to internal rotor system. Directly to the valve stem is easier safer proven way to go."

The Vigia system does have an external rotor system that goes directly to the valve stem through a one way valve so that no air is lost from the tire if one of the hoses breaks.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With a cross fire system, if one of the dual tires suddenly loses air, how do you prevent the other dual tire from losing air too?

I think having a TPMS is absolutely essential. Based on my experience, I think it's important to have a complete set of tire pressure monitors as a backup spare.

Most know of our experience last year, when TST sent our new tire pressure monitors to our billing address instead of our travel address. This put us on the road with non functioning tire pressure monitors, and during that time we had a steer tire failure. That was scary to say the least.

This year, I sent our TPMS system to TST on Feb 2, for evaluation, repair or replacement and immediate return for our upcoming planned trip near the end of February. The folks at TST repaired the sytem and shipped it back on Feb 17. The package has been lost in the vast sea of the U.S. postal service ever since.

We just completed a 2000 mile run with absolutely NO TPMS.

Scary stuff!

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
With a cross fire system, if one of the dual tires suddenly loses air, how do you prevent the other dual tire from losing air too?...
See my post #6 on previous page.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
With a cross fire system, if one of the dual tires suddenly loses air, how do you prevent the other dual tire from losing air too?
From Crossfire documentation:

"Crossfire has a safety feature that automatically isolates the “good” tire in the event of a blowout. When a blowout occurs, the internal safety valve closes immediately with only a slight loss of pressure to the “good” tire.
In slow leak situations, the valve isolates both tires after a pressure drop of approximately 10 P.S.I."
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #22
WDW

So why can't you put one TPS monitor on the crossfire valve? That would mean just buying 4 sensors and not six?

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I could get the Crossfire properly installed I'd use both.

Crossfire you can get an optional model with two valve stems

Put a SINGLE TMPS monitor on one of them

Use the other as a Fill Port

Question: How does this protect both tires?

Answer. Assuming 100 PSI (Due to making the math easy).

IF one tire develops a slow leak, BOTH tires will drop to the cut off point,but long before that the TPMS will alarm and you can re-inflate

IF one tire goes suddenly flat,,THE TPMS will alarm

IF it alarms at ZERO, it is the tire the TPMS is connected to
at 75PSI it is the other one.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #24

TPMS or CROSSFIRE DUAL TIRE EQUALIZER?

All well and good, but I don't see a true benefit.
100 bucks of Crossfire vs 100 bucks of sensors, and all it saves is topping off 2 tires a couple times per year. I have 12 sensors. Going to 10 is not a bonus, me thinks. But I will know which dually has a slow leak.
Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #25
WDW

Equal points of interest in the last two posts. I'm thing new more accessible valve stems especially because oft wheel liners and going with 6 sensors.

Thanks for your input.

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote