Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

Just took delivery of my new 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. trying to decide whether to get a TPMS or do it the old fashion way....trusty tire gauge? YOUR THOUGHTS???? Thanks in advance. Steve

sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have done it the old way for years, then I became a dealer for one of the systems and haven't been without one since. Just keeps tabs on the tires closer than you can using a tire gauge once a day. Realtime monitoring can catch a tire going low so you can, hopefully, see it and prevent a blowout.

Bought a TST 507 system after I quit handling the other system, kept it when we traded the old rig off. The present rig came with a SmarTire system, which, while not supported for RV's anymore, you can still find parts for and keep up to date. My SmarTire sensors will need replacing soon at $80 or more each so I think I'll use the TST instead.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's so very convenient being able to do the daily preflight tire pressure check from an easy chair. Especially when cold, raining, etc.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
I'm a fan of the pressure monitoring systems myself. You can check it from your chair (as vsheetz pointed out) and you can monitor tire conditions while in motion (as Mr D pointed out). Maybe your tire pressure was fine at 7k feet, but once down the mountain the temp and pressure exceed the maximum of your tires recommended range. Maybe you catch a nail at a truck stop and your tire is dropping pressure as you drive. A TPMS will warn you in both cases, usually with an alarm. Personally, I just feel a bit better with one.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #5
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Just took delivery of my new 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. trying to decide whether to get a TPMS or do it the old fashion way....trusty tire gauge? YOUR THOUGHTS???? Thanks in advance. Steve

Mike Benson 770-889-9102
TST Systems
Tell him what pressure you want on the front tires, rear tires and toad and he will set everything up for you.
I have had the TST for 2+years, works great plus great service and they are a vendor here also.
2 stroker
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:22 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

You don't say if you tow (toad or trailer). If you do, adding TPMS sensors to the tow gives you peace of mind. Most coaches are powerful enough to pull a toad or trailer with flat tires without the driver noticing it, much to the detriment of the tow.
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:11 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your towing something, its worth its weight in gold. I have on more than one occasion, arrived at my destination only to find one of my trailer tires completely gone accept for two rings of rubber sidewall left on the rim and never noticed a thing while driving. It also tore up the aluminum sidewall of the trailer pretty good. Since the tpms, I've been alerted to a low tire on the trailer and saved some costly body work.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO - running without a TMPS system is similar to running without an oil gauge or temp gauge or a fuel gauge only worse because of poor results. Again IMO, tires with correct pressures and temps are the single most important safety system while you are underway. Physical observation of tires before moving and the TPMS while moving goes a long way to preventing a blowup or a fire from being overheated.

We also have the TST 507. Mike Benson has been great!!
US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gauge.. You really should check your pressure daily, Till you have done it you have no idea how much work that is.

TPMS.. I can easily check tire pressure every minute and while doing 60 MPH (more or less) down the freeway.. in fact I don't need to check it cause if say 30 minutes into an 8 hour day of driving I pick up a nail in a tire and the pressure starts to go down, down, down, I'm going to get my ears pierced (ok it's not that loud) by that very annoying BEEPER and a flashing pressure that is far too low and blinking wheel position on the dash display.

True story time
Picked up a screw in left front on Towed.. Got alarm, pujlled off freeway Aired it up, arrived and parked, next morning aired it up to shop, then the next morning aired it up for some reason, Church, Trip home, (Stopping to air it up half way) next Day (Monday) Aired it up and off to tire store where they told me I'd been Screwed (Ok I already ruined that joke) they removed the screw, replaced with a patch, Roach hazard warranty no charge.

RVer #2 who's name I have long forgotten got same system I have, tossed it into his basement intending to install it when he go home.. about 15 minutes out of the campground people are honking and pointing.

Blew left front tire (Same tire as me) on towed, but no alarm, tire toast, Rim toast and 2,000 in secondary damage to the car.

Personally.. i'd say my TPMS was paid for... and then some.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
I have a Tireminder and it is one of the best purchases I have made. You can see pressure changes as you are driving down the road. Importantly, you can monitor the tire pressures on the toad. You do not want to drag a toad with a flat tire!
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #11
We did it the old fashion way for years. Unfortunately the one time we had a problem it was in the middle of nowhere Nevada. As it turned out we had a leaking valve core. While the TPMS may not have prevented it, it would have certainly alerted us to the issue long before it became a problem.

In our case we had to pull into a rest stop, unhook our Jeep and drive about 50 miles to get a compressor and valve core tool. Since then we keep a compressor and proper tooling onboard. Having a TPMS would have alerted us to the problem before we were in the middle of nowhere and saved us several hours of time.

Since that incident we went with the TST 507 system and have never regretted it. I remove the sensors when it's in storage and reinstall them when it's time to travel. The first year we left the sensors in place, but since the batteries only last about a year (when air pressure is present on the sensors) we decided to remove them from the coach to prolong the battery life.

The additional peace of mind is well worth the expense.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #12

Old System: People drive past honking and pointing back at your toad! You finally pull over after towing the toad on a blown front tire for 30 miles. Tire$ Rim$ Front Valance$, maybe $fender and other ancillary damage . . .

New System: Preflight in the morning from passenger seat, drive for 200 miles, alarm goes off on left front toad tire. Pull over with PSI dropping through 20. Either change tire, or use tire repair kit, cigarette lighter compressor, air back up, back on the road in 20 minutes. Have tire permanently repaired at your convenience if you feel the necessity. . . . . . . We have EezTire TPMS, Love it!

Old System. . . . , New System. . . . ,
You choose . . .
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
What does a system like this cost? No toad at this time, just 6 expensive 22.5" tires.
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
What does a system like this cost? No toad at this time, just 6 expensive 22.5" tires.
I bought my 6 tire TST system for $259 from Tweetys RV, then added four sensors for the toad for another $189. The whole system costs a lot less than one tire.

Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote