Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #1

Tpms question

I've had good luck with our Tire Safe Guard flow thru TPMS for the last five years but now need to replace some batteries and am considering getting a new system. I like the ability to add air without having to remove the sensor but they stick out and over the years I have managed to knock two off the toad and came close on one on the front of the MH. My question is, has anyone had good luck with flow thru's and do you really think it's the way to go? Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
RJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
I've had good luck with our Tire Safe Guard flow thru TPMS for the last five years but now need to replace some batteries and am considering getting a new system. I like the ability to add air without having to remove the sensor but they stick out and over the years I have managed to knock two off the toad and came close on one on the front of the MH. My question is, has anyone had good luck with flow thru's and do you really think it's the way to go? Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
RJ
I have the same system as you. On my toad I use the non flow through cap style. I have never had any problems except an occasional loss of signal that seems to take forever to come back. I do have the repeater, and it hasn't made any difference. Now I need to replace the batteries as well, and they have quoted $300 for 10 new sensors with the new style replaceable batteries. I am in the same quandary as you. Tire Safe will sell a complete new unit for $450 with the new sensors, but they say there is no difference in functionality.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Cbones
Is the tire safe a flow thru? I'm not going to do anything soon and would appreciate knowing what you decide.
Thanks,
RJ
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Commercial Member

If battery cost is an issue have you considered searching for TPMS systems that have replaceable low cost watch batteries ($1 to $2 each).
I know of at least three such systems.
OE style internal sensors do not have replaceable batteries as far as I know.

RE knocking off the sensor. Have you looked at shorter valve stems? I find TR500 series bolt in valves at 1.13, 1.5, 2.0, 3.13 3.38 plus three longer lengths
Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If battery cost is an issue have you considered searching for TPMS systems that have replaceable low cost watch batteries ($1 to $2 each). ...I know of at least three such systems.....
I've had the TST system with flow-through sensors and replaceable batteries for over a year. No system problems, but a couple of my batteries have recently died. The 1632 batteries at local retail run anywhere from $3 to $6 each. I found some cheap replacement batteries online (Amazon) at $9 for a pack of ten. They're completely Chinese-- even the engraved info on the battery disc itself. We'll see how they hold up.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just got and installed the TST system. Used two of the "cap" type (fronts) and four of the flow through on the back. Got one bad cap type sensor. Just sent it back today.
Do need to work on the limits as I got an overpressure warning on one tire, went off at 108 psi and the tire has 90 psi in it. It was only in the low 70's at the time. On the way back I didn't get that but the temps were only in the 60's too. I set the limits as per TST's instructions too.
I also have the repeater and just wired a 12 V cigarette lighter type plug onto it. Just plug it in when ready to roll and leave the repeater in the bedside stand. Works fine and it's not on all the time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Flow through sensors are the way to go in my book. Not that I adjust my tires daily but I do like to be able to and not worry about damaging the small rubber o'ring in the sensor from removing and reinstalling. Just makes it so much easier. I have a hose setup that I run off the onboard compressor. No messing around with caps and cap wrenches, simply plug the hose in and walk around topping off the tires that need it.

I would not want to inflate a flat or very low tire through the sensor as the sensor does somewhat restrict the airflow.

If you are concerned with knocking off the flow through sensors you might consider shorter valve stems.

I have the TST System with 6 flow through sensors on the coach and 4 cap style sensors on the toad.

Mounted the repeater in the rear closet and tied it into the closet light for the 12v.

The flow through sensors on the rear coach tires to not stick out past the tires. The front sensors on the coach stick around 1" so no issue with hitting those.

The cap style sensors on the toad are pretty close to flush with the side wall of the tire.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too have the Flow-Thru TST's on the coach and the cap-style on my Toad. I had to modify (i.e. dent) the front hub caps in our last gas coach to accommodate the flow-thru's, but thankfully the aluminum wheels on our new DP worked fine. Though I haven't tried to fill the tires on the new DP with the sensors on yet, I anticipate a bit of a challenge with the rear outside tires because they came with inward-facing valve stems. It was all I could do to carefully spin on the sensors without dropping them in between the two tires! (Careful, Careful, don't drop it now... GOT IT!) But I do think (hope!) that my air filler will manage, as it has the fill tip that you can either push on or pull on.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Commercial Member

deleted by poster
Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I too have the Flow-Thru TST's on the coach and the cap-style on my Toad..... I anticipate a bit of a challenge with the rear outside tires because they came with inward-facing valve stems. .
I have small stem extenders on my dual outers. They incorporate about a 135 degree turn to bring the valve around to where its pretty much facing outward. I didn't put them on-- my service guy did-- but I believe they're widely available. Google "valve stem extenders".

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote