Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Alright, this is an expensive system... But "Smart Tire" is about as good as you can get... The sensors mount inside the tire, strapped to the center of each wheel. The beauty of the system is two fold, first it provides a "No Kidding" indication of your tire temperatures (because the sensor is internal to the wheel/tire combination) and MOST IMPORTANTLY, it provides me a delta pressure reading for each tire... meaning that the system provides an absolute tire pressure reading BUT, more importantly, it also provides the delta pressure from "optimum" based on the tire temperature... So rather than looking at a tire pressure and tire temperature and wondering if my pressures are still good, the system provides a plus or minus figure, in PSI, telling me how much over or under inflated each tire is based on the tires current temperature! So for each tire I receive: 121 PSI (Tire Pressure) 88 F (Tire Temp) +1 (Delta pressure from optimum - this tire is 1 PSI high)
my tires had smart tire system but the batteries inside the tires were out after 4 years and i had no way to replace them. when i bought new tires, i took the system out. external TPMS is so much easier - effortless - to install and maintain. (I still have the smart tire monitor, if somebody want it, pm me you can get it for free + postage).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Bought my "Tire Tracker/Tire Minder" type system on EBAY last summer.

10 Tires monitored for about $360. No repeater needed for my 38', but I do not have a rear closet if that is important.

So far it has been accurate and reliable.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
my tires had smart tire system but the batteries inside the tires were out after 4 years and i had no way to replace them. when i bought new tires, i took the system out. external TPMS is so much easier - effortless - to install and maintain. (I still have the smart tire monitor, if somebody want it, pm me you can get it for free + postage).
That's very unusual... the batteries are sized to last a minimum of 7 year's. They don't broadcast until exceeding 6MPH... so one would think on an RV, that's not rolling everyday, the batteries would last longer... I agree external sensors are easier... BUT, they can't give an accurate tire temp so they can't provide an accurate delta-P thus that CRITICAL safety factor is gone...
Old 02-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire-SafeGuard for me. No repeater required and tech support is fantastic.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
After looking at the systems, I'm leaning towards the 507.
With regards to the TST 507 system.
Which would be a better sensor. The flow thru type or the cap
or is it a personal preference?
Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't have the flow through sensors but wish I did on the MH. Since I only use the sensors on the toad for trips, don't need the flow thrus for the toad.

I have not had a sensor failure yet but as they fail I will get flow thrus.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #21
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
After looking at the systems, I'm leaning towards the 507.
With regards to the TST 507 system.
Which would be a better sensor. The flow thru type or the cap
or is it a personal preference?
Thanks again.
I have been using the TST for several years with no problems. Recently I purchased the newer system with the flow through sensors and will install it next week when we leave for a trip.

Trucker's Supply has been great with their service.
TST Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been using the TST system for about two years now. I use the flow through on the coach and the cap type on the toad. I usually remove the toad sensors when not out on the road. At 80 mph they do tend to throw the wheels out of balance!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the TST 507 system. It did not work for me.

First reason...Too many false alarms. All of a sudden the alarms going off and you are in a panic to get to the side of the road safely. Only to find that there is nothing wrong.

Second reason...I cant hear the alarm AT ALL. DW will say there goes the tire thing again. It is a very high pitch beep that is out of my hearing range.

I would like to buy a TPMS that is more dependable, flow thru sensors and an alarm that I can hear. Any suggestions??
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #24

I just installed the TST system, 10 sensors. On my 34 ft DP, I don't need the repeater at. All. I am very pleased with how it has performed so far.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #25

Carolina Campers
I use TST with 507's on the coach and caps on the toad. I love the system and it has saved me several times. It has definitely paid for itself.

People that have false alarms simply don't know how to set them up correctly because they usually don't know how to read instructions, or simply don't ask for help.TST has the best customer service and will solve most any issue if you simply call them.

I only get alarms when something requires attention.

If you can't hear, you need to get hearing aids.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
People that have false alarms simply don't know how to set them up correctly because they usually don't know how to read instructions, or simply don't ask for help.

If you can't hear, you need to get hearing aids.
Thanks for the reply Tedgard. I will see if someone can teach me to read. I have hearing aids to help with my hearing problem. It doesnt fix the problem. What do you suppose you could use to help with your personality problem?

I didnt think my post was out of line.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rockcrawler - I agree, I also don't think your post was out of line.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #28

Along with several others in this thread I also use the Tire Trakker/Tire Minder (they are the same unit.) If you need to see a +/- 1 psi pressure differential correlated to temperature and the phase of the moon then you probably want one of the higher-end systems, but if you just want to know when a tire is low on pressure or leaking then Tire Trakker/Tire Minder's price is reasonable, installation is dead simple, the sensor batteries are easy to replace, and more importantly... it just works.