Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Since the Tire Safeguard sensors also screw onto the valve stems then I don't see any advantage in being 'flow through'... there is no difference in the amount of effort to fill the tire (you still have to remove the valve cap, which is no less effort then removing a valve cap sensor) and the flow-through design only adds another unnecessary valve to the system, reducing reliability. It does appear that Tire Safeguard allows you to select either flow through or valve cap sensors and personally if I was purchasing that system I'd just order the valve cap sensors... simpler, more reliable, and no difference in effort to fill the tires.

Actually there is a big difference as each sensor has a socket head set screw to insure it's secure to deal with. Taking off a valve cap versus a sensor is a big difference in my opinion.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
Actually there is a big difference as each sensor has a socket head set screw to insure it's secure to deal with. Taking off a valve cap versus a sensor is a big difference in my opinion.
A locking system is not required for valve stem sensor caps. Maybe it is for a heavier flow-through sensor though, I don't know.

And I don't see how there could be any significant difference between unscrewing a valve cap and unscrewing a small sensor as the effort involved is virtually identical. Unless I am missing something a flow-through sensor (if installed at the end of the valve stem) adds nothing but greater weight/complexity.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
A locking system is not required for valve stem sensor caps. Maybe it is for a heavier flow-through sensor though, I don't know.....
I have a TST flow-through system. smiller, your points have merit, but I still prefer the flow-throughs. I removed the set screws the first time I demounted the sensors for a long stay. Non-essential. But there's another point, at least with TST. The batteries on the flow-throughs are user replaceable, but the valve cap sensors require total replacement when the battery dies. Even with a supposed longer battery life this is possibly less efficient, definitely more costly, and certainly more of a PITA.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #46

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I have a TST flow-through system. smiller, your points have merit, but I still prefer the flow-throughs. I removed the set screws the first time I demounted the sensors for a long stay. Non-essential. But there's another point, at least with TST. The batteries on the flow-throughs are user replaceable, but the valve cap sensors require total replacement when the battery dies. Even with a supposed longer battery life this is possibly less efficient, definitely more costly, and certainly more of a PITA.
Another point; the regular caps require the special tool to remove them, as they are self locking to prevent theft. The flow through is locked in place by the set screw to prevent theft. Therefore it is simple to simply remove the stem cap from the flow through vs getting the special tool to remove the cap type simply to add air.

Another point; with the new TST cap type sensors, they have the user replaceable batteries. That was the older style you are talking about.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
But there's another point, at least with TST. The batteries on the flow-throughs are user replaceable, but the valve cap sensors require total replacement when the battery dies.
Then that's an advantage with the flow-through sensor with the TST. But the batteries in the valve cap sensors for Tire Safeguard and Tire Trakker are replaceable, so that's not a factor for those systems.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #48

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Then that's an advantage with the flow-through sensor with the TST. But the batteries in the valve cap sensors for Tire Safeguard and Tire Trakker are replaceable, so that's not a factor for those systems.
As noted above, not an issue with TST either.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 507 sensor batteries are replaceable. I will replace them with flo-thru when and if they malfunction. The batteries last about 1-2 years. Just about all of mine have been replaced at least once.

Oh one thing forgot to mention, mine gives both audio and visual alarms. Red light flashes with audio and the alarm is displayed when it cycles on the tire in question. So three ways to catch an alarm. Sure wish the battery alarms were silent since once you get a battery alarm you have plenty of time to replace them before they quit.

No repeater needed.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before I bought my Tire SafeGuard system I did a lot of research. I read where some had leaking sensors and it was o rings which could not be replaced. I chose the flow thru sensors so I never have to remove the sensors and possibly damage the integrity of the o rings.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
507 comes with extra o rings. Not a big problem for me. Of course they are replaceable.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Mounting 507 on Outer Rears

I bought the 507 system with 6 flow-through and 4 caps for the toad. When planning the installation I noticed that the outer drive wheels have valve stems that point toward the center of the RV, and end behind the wheel. I bought a tire gauge that will work "backwards", but I don't know how to reach the "innies" to put on the sensors. (Yes, I'm very new to this with a grand total of 300 miles of motor home driving under my belt).
Old 03-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine has flexible steel extenders that make all four rear wheels easy to mount sensors.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #54

have the TST 12 tire set up, all flow through, toad, dolly, coach, system works great, used repeater as the rear tires of the car have to be 65 feet back from the dash give or take a few feet, only lost sensors when batteries started to die, had a minor problem with battery covers, several where cracked after replacing batteries, TST replaced the sensors and provided new covers, no questions asked, top notch company and their product is reliable and does what it is supposed to do, this is my second TST set up and I recommend them to all my friends and aquantances.
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the info. After learning the criticality of tire pressure I'm investing. Appears TST is favored brand. Any thoughts on 507 vs 510? Any bad experiences with flo thru or non flo thru?

My hearing not great either, glad to see multiple alarm inputs (and I thought a legit post as well)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #56

I have done a lot of looking and am down to 2 different systems.
The first one that I am thinking about and may get is this one plus I would remove the locking caps on the rear outside to get them on the valve stems
YouTube
EEZ RV PRODUCTS - LED Lighting and Recreational Accessories for the RV and Boating Industry
and
TPMS SYSTEM (10 SENSOR)
and second place
10 Tire RV Cap Sensor Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) : Amazon.com : Automotive
I am not interested in the Flow-Through Cap Sensors
When I had my Alpenlite 5er I used Pressure Pro for over 6 years and the batteries still worked. Sold the system with the 5er, it is a great system but spendy.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote