Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dually valve stems for me: Duallyvalve Kits for Wheel Sizes 22-24" I have the Tire SafeGuard with 10 sensors, no repeater required.

Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been there/ done that on valve extenders for my TPMS... My experience is that they aren't worth the trouble. I now run without the extenders. My outside dualies' stems face in-ward, so I have to squeeze my fingers in the rims to remove the TPMS sensor when airing up, and it usually drops to the ground in-between the two tires. It's not hard to grab from there.. Is it a pain in the butt? Yup. And someday when I have the rig in for chassis work I will get those stems turned around. But it still beats going unmonitored, and the flow thru sensors have proven unreliable in my experience. I now just run with non flow-through from TST, with the "security" caps removes for easy spin on/off. They are now no more difficult to remove than a standard valve cap, and if someone steals them from me, then I hope karma gets them back!

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Did you need the range booster?

Not sure. I just didn't want to take a chance of not getting a good signal from the toad sensors!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #18
We use the TST 510 TPMS. We chose it over the 507 only because of the user replaceable batteries. I didn't want to have to send the sensors to the company, wait a couple weeks and pay $50.00 for each replacement when the batteries die.

The batteries for the 510 system cost about $2.00 each and can be replaced in about 10 minutes. The only downside is that the batteries only last a year or two compared to 5 years on the 507 system.

As far as Statgeek's problem with the valve stems facing in the wrong direction, they can be loosened, turned to face the proper direction and retightened as long as the stem itself is short enough that it doesn't hit the wheel when attempting to turn it. I did it to the outside duals on our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer (19.5" steel wheels) and also to the outside duals on our 2013 Adventurer with 22.5" Accurride aluminum wheels
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
What brand of TPMS are you guys using? Been thinking about getting some for my rig, lots of choices. Randy
I just purchased the TST 507 pass thru system and my inner dual tires have an extension. I have steel rims with chrome covers. I have found out that my extensions are a air-less system that do not carry any live pressure in the hose chamber, and is only activated when the schrader-pin is depressed during inflation or deflation. This would be a problem of sensors not working when connected to an extension. I attached the sensors to the rigid valve stem and then attach the stem extensions. They work just great in this configuration. My dual outer tire had the rim valve stem pointing inwards so I had to purchase a 180 degree extender (without the air-less system) and then bend the end out about 35 degrees to attach the sensor. However, when airing up a tire the sensor do restrict the flow so it takes longer to air up the tire. All sensors are working on the monitor and I am not using a repeater. (When I purchase four additional sensor for my tow vehicle I will purchase the repeater.) When all 6 sensors were installed, a few did not register with the monitor. Called tech support at TST and Dan said to wait a few minutes more as sometimes it takes longer for some sensors to register. About then all sensors registered with the monitor and it looked great. (I just needed more patience.) Dan at TST said that when I install the repeater the sensors will actually report sooner when first turned on.
2001 38' Dutch Star | Freightliner Chassis | 300 Cat Diesel
Kulgpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
X2 with Statgeek
I run without extenders. Never had good luck with them. YES - It is a pain to air up the dualies – I remove the chrome Versa Liners that make the rims look “pretty” then wiggle my hand inside the hand holes and air up the inner and outer dualies. Then add the EEZ tire sensors without the security anti-theft devices. (if someone is going to remove the versa liners, wiggle their hand in and steal them – they have more problems than being a thief!) I also leave the sensors on the rear of the toad all the time and no one has stolen them yet – only an RV’er or trucker would probably know what they are anyway. I find it easier to put the sensors on the dualies then the little valve caps! My tire dulie pressures are calculated to be 82 PSI – when I air up I add a little to that 4-5 PSI. With the sensors continuously indicating pressures I don’t usually air up until they start to get close to the 82 PSI mark on any of the tires. From what I understand, a little overpressure is not an issue where under pressure is bad.
2014 Coachmen Mirada 29DSSE - EEZRV TPMS
ACME Tow Dolly - 2016 Buick LaCrosse
AZCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #21
Only time I have had a valve cap stolen was kids on bikes. They took them off my Corvette to put on the bicycle.

Now I just have to decide between the TST or the EEZ system over the winter and then speak nicely to Santa
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #22
I use eez pass tru, no extenders .
2005 madp m4030
high voltage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #23
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm reading all about TST tpms and am considering buying them. I do not have valve extenders on any tires. Stems are short and outside duals point inward per truck tire center install. Inside duals are the same stem pointed outward and oriented 180 degrees from outer stem.
Trying to confirm what Hickerdogs and others have stated. Is there enough room to install the sensors and not bind against the rim while tightening! Are the flow through sensors the same diameter? Seems I should consider flow through sensors for the inside duals so I don't have to take the sensor off to add air?
Bottom line, will I have any issues installing TST sensors on my coach? I will not use extenders of any kind. Once burned is enough.
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by high voltage View Post
I use eez pass tru, no extenders .

Can you tell me again why you went with eez system over tst? They appear to be about the same in price and aren't the sensors the same?
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #25
I use the EEZ Tire sensors without the pass through - the pass through sensors are just a little longer that they would not fit on my dualies the way the tire air valves are oriented without touching - or coming too close to touching - the other tire or rim. I will not use extenders and I like a nice gap between the sensors and anything else.

I don't know about TST but the customer service with EEZ Tire has been fantastic.
2014 Coachmen Mirada 29DSSE - EEZRV TPMS
ACME Tow Dolly - 2016 Buick LaCrosse
AZCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #26
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We have 22.5" wheels on our 2013 Adventurer. We do not use any valve stem extensions for the TPMS senders. The only drawback is I have to get on my back and slip my hand between the wheels to install the sensors.

I decided not to install extenders mainly because the ones on our 2001 Adventurer showed signs of wear where they passed through the outer wheels. At some point I may rethink the situation, but for now I'll continue to crawl under and install them in the spring and remove them when the motorhome goes into storage.
Signs of wear means you did not have the extenders properly tied down. This is imperitive if you want to avoid problems such as lbroken or leaking extenders. Here is what I have used for 27,000 miles over six years with zero leaks.

Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote