Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
TPMS, which one?

Pretty much...
My fancy new coach is going to get a tpms.
As I tow, I suppose it makes sense to get a 10 sensor system, even though I figure the odds of a modern car getting a flat to be about 1:250,000 miles.

Anyway, which one?

TST 510, old style system, currently $299 free shipping for 6 sensors, add'l sensors $100/pair, 3 year warrantee, non replaceable batteries, $499 total
I like this one a lot, until I add the 4 extra sensors. If I go this route I'd probably skip the toad. TST assures me replacement sensors will remain available, and battery life should be 4-5 years.

TST 507, new system with replaceable batteries, marketed directly at
rvers at VERY high cost. $259 with 2 sensors, then 100/pair. $459 for 6, $659 for 10. Outragious.

Hawkshead Talon, new and also marketed right at us. $339 with 4 sensors, add'l are $45 ea, so $429 for the bus, $609 for the toad too.

Hawkshead pressure track HD, the old system, still has replaceable batteries, $225 with 4 sensors, add'l sensors @ $39, $303 for the bus, $459 for bus and toad

PressurePro, 16 wheel monitor oddly is cheapest at $190. Sensors (not replaceable batteries) $50 each. $490 for the bus, $690 for bus and toad.

Which of these system will probably work without a repeater?
(40 ft DP towing a wrangler)

Which of these companies has the best customer service and is most likely to honor the warrantee?

I'm leaning toward the old hawkshead system. Great price, replaceable batteries, and very good reviews read in the past. I also like the look of the olkd tst510.

What say you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First, I strongly recommend you get sensors for the toad ...if I were doing only a few wheels I would do the toad FIRST, then the MH duals, then the fronts. I have had only toad flats in my past six years of fulltime travel, and you most likely will not know it has happened until you really do some expensive damage to the toad.

I can tell you that TST has great customer service. They worked very well with me over the nine months I had their system with repeated failed sensors and toad flats due to sensors coming loose, and they refunded my money when I totally lost faith in the system. I do know other TST owners who say their system works great.

I now have a TireTraker, which is the same system as the Hawkshead or Tire Minder. I am not familiar with the differences between "old" or "new" Hawkshead, but my system has worked great for about 9 months now. The sensors are smaller/lighter than other brands. I have a 40' motorhome with closet across the rear. The TST system always had missing sensors on the toad until I bought the booster. (I do know 40' MH owners who do not use a booster with their TST system.) After several months of travel with the TireTraker, I bought the booster about a month ago as I occasionally had a dropped sensor signal on the toad. Vendors I have talked with suspect the rear closet and other unique construction issues in my Winnebago (front steel cage, etc) are the reason I had dropped signals.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is the system I use Tire-SafeGuard by GENCO Distributors. It doesn't need a repeater and it even picks up the Toad when my wife is following me. I chose it because of the flow thru sensors. I picked up a nail in the Toad and it alerted me to the slow leak before I damaged the tire and rim.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Wayne, that one looks good too. I like the flow thru sensor concept. $490 / $690 is right in the ballpark with the more expensive systems
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgot to mention that the customer service has been outstanding.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought the TST 507 10 sensor system. I got mine from Plug It Right . At the time I bought mine Diana was holding the pricing at 499. She may still have some on sale. She is great to work with and is an RV'r also, so she and her husband understand what we need and what kind of service we expect. I did have a sensor fail right out of the box, but it may have been due to user error. We'll wait for TST to us which way it went. All in all, I LOVE my system. I really like having the temp shown also. I'd also add that I did not need the extra antenna for it to pick up my toad.

After having a flat and beating the inner fender off a Pontiac G6, I'll never tow without a system again.
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABrede View Post
I bought the TST 507 10 sensor system. I got mine from Plug It Right .
Sold!!! The 10 sensor replaceable battery 507 system is on their website at $499, and I just bought one.

Thank you very much for the tip!!!
Jim
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

We have the TST system and it seems fine overall, but the sensors have a very small rubber washer in them which, when it wears out, causes the sensor to leak air from the tire!

I wanted to air up one of my tires so I removed the sensor, aired up, put the sensor back on, and heard air leaking from the tire. I removed the sensor and saw that the washer in the sensor was shredded from having removed the sensor from the tire, and I couldn't put the sensor back on without continuing to leak air. The sensor was about a year old at this time.

I called the company and they seemed to acknowledge that this was a problem, but I was told that they had stopped selling the individual washers. I'd have to send the whole sensor back in, with a fee, to get a new sensor/washer combination. I'm now looking for someplace I can get just a bunch of these little tiny rubber washers to keep on hand.

dave
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshinnick View Post
We have the TST system and it seems fine overall, but the sensors have a very small rubber washer in them which, when it wears out, causes the sensor to leak air from the tire!

I wanted to air up one of my tires so I removed the sensor, aired up, put the sensor back on, and heard air leaking from the tire. I removed the sensor and saw that the washer in the sensor was shredded from having removed the sensor from the tire, and I couldn't put the sensor back on without continuing to leak air. The sensor was about a year old at this time.

I called the company and they seemed to acknowledge that this was a problem, but I was told that they had stopped selling the individual washers. I'd have to send the whole sensor back in, with a fee, to get a new sensor/washer combination. I'm now looking for someplace I can get just a bunch of these little tiny rubber washers to keep on hand.

dave
How old was the system?
Warrantee right now is 3 years, and I'd think that would be warranted.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Ever see a warranty without a fee or deductable ? Few and far between, sad but true !
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Anyone out there have a TPMS that is more or less "bullet proof" ? This is after all the age of electronics and thats what these systems are, after all ?????

Having just suffered a Blowout I now see there is a valid need and am looking to buy !
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MegaRoadie,
What do you mean by bullet proof? They all work. What is it you are looking for?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #13

After I posted the note about the washers going bad I called the company back. In contrast to what I'd been told before, they now said they were willing to send me 12 of the washers for free. Can't beat that. But I was concerned that they might eventually stop making the washers in this size, so I ended up paying $10 for 30 of them. That should cover me, eh? And even leave a few left over for anyone I meet who has an emergency need of some.

dave
Old 04-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I've had the 510 "Older system for two years now. They did have an issue with sensor washers and mine have been replace at no cost to me! Great customer service. I agree with the earlier comment. You need to get sensors for the toad too. If you get a flat back there you'll never know it until it's too late maybe even a fire with rims on the road for too long! Not worth the trouble for a couple of dollars. A TMPS is like a seat belt for your tires. You use it when the hope that you never have to see if it works!

Dan