Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
TPO rubber roof question

Hi, I recently purchased a 2012 Coachman Mirada 32 ft class A with 5000 miles. My last RV had a fiberglass roof. I was looking at this roof and it is a flexible weave looking material. The owner manual says it is TPO. My concern is that it appears to be somewhat loose from the substrate. Camping World says it needs to be sealed and treated for the questionable sum of $1700.00. Not real excited about that and have watched several youtube videos and can do it myself. I am wondering if the sealer treatment will make this surface more like a solid rubber or ??? Do I have a real problem or are the TPO roofs loose , woven material ???? Thanks in advance.

kengardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

A rubber roof treatment , won't change the overall stiffness of the material, it is not unusual for the rubber roof to bubble , over the seams of the roof plywood, where there is no glue to hold it down.
Those bubbles should be less than 1/4" high, and in a straight line along the seam. Any large areas where the rubber isn't held down , have to be dealt with , by injecting glue and rolling the rubber back down.
Any chance you could post a picture of your problem?

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
TPO roof

Thanks Skip. Camping World has it right now for some paint repairs. I'll get some pics as soon as I get it back. It does not look like bubbles but more like the large areas are not tight and can be moved slightly. The looseness is not all over so maybe it was glued down poorly to begin with. Ken
Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC
No coating should be used on the roof per the mfg. Sounds like CW wants you to pay 1700 hundred to recaulk your seams.
2008 Tundra
2015 ST29SS Crossroads TT
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Thanks HondaValk. Very interesting site. I was getting real confused by the many different roofing materials out there. Mine definitely looks like the Alpha system.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

Rubber vs. Fiberglass is akin to a Ford/Chevy debate. It comes down to R&M.

The roof on my Mandalay is dead flat and seams are correct. That said, I get up there every year with RV seam sealer and do R&M on it.

Sorry to hear about your roof, but I think that you could find and seal just as easily (?) as a CW guy for $1600 less.
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
TPO stands for Tri-polymer Olefin. This is the same material that is
used in outdoor carpet and artificial grass/turf. It is very resistant to
UV damage and holds up well in an outdoor environment. The TPO
is bonded to a fabric back and is used in many motorhome roofs.
It is tough and durable, but it is a fabric that is stretched over the
roof structure. Being "loose" is not often a problem. The advantage
of the TPO is its flexibility. Generally maintenance is gentle cleaning
with any soap you would clean the coach with, and many folks use
303 protectorant on it to help against the UV. Silicon bonds well to
it in case of any damage, and to seal around any thru-roof fittings. It is not a "rubber roof".
Anyone who wants to "seal and treat it" for $ 1700.00 is a moron.
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Thanks all !!! I called Coachman and determined my roof is Dicor TPO Diflex. I then called Dicor who advised me it needs nothing except regular cleaning and lap sealant if cracks are evident. They advised against using any protectant. Now I have $1700 more fuel money !! Thanks for trying to rip me off Camping World :((((((
Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
Ken, Great lesson. Take what those places say with a grain of salt. Do your own research because you may save lots of $$$
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S
LouieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure CW was trying to rip you off. Some folks think that sealing a TPO roof is necessary. They also provide products and staff to do it.

Others are more reticent about doing it. I took a 10 year TPO roof off of our 5er because the A/C had leaked and damaged the sheeting. There was nothing wrong with the fabric at all.

Loose spots are not to worry about. UNLESS they are getting bigger. Our 5er had some spots that were loose. Manufacturer said they would not replace it unless they were growing. I marked the edges of the loose spots with permanent marker. Not one of the loose areas increased in the 10 years until I repaired the roof. When I was taking the roof off the glue was holding extremely well in the rest of the roof.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used Murphy's Oil Soap at the recommendation of Fleetwood on my TPO roof with great results.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
Wow, great advice. Thanks all
Old 06-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by kengardner View Post
Now I have $1700 more fuel money !! Thanks for trying to rip me off Camping World :((((((

I'd love to hear what CW has to say based on the response of the manufacturer. I just cant stand retail establishments that want to simply bilk the consumer.. Or (best case) are so incompetent that they are billing the consumer for work that doesn't need to be done.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote