Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Trace inverter

Have a 2000 watt Trace inverter. 1999 age that I would like to send to be rebuilt. Only allowing 106 volts through. Any recommendations?
Woody57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Replacing it with a Magnum pure sine wave inverter would be my choice. Many others have favorites but this is mine. Here is a link to their product lines: Product Categories

If you find an inverter of interest take your time and search online for a good deal. Magnum support is very good when needed.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #3

Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

My Recollection is that Trace was either a division of or acquired by Xantrex. Suggest you give Xantrex a call to determine whether they can still service them or recommend someone who can. These were good units and are worth saving if the price is reasonable.
BTW...are you measuring that voltage with an RMS meter?? If not, you may not have an issue at all. Get your hands on an RMS meter and take a reading. MSW inverters will often read low on a standard voltmeter.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #5

Thanks. Did read with a good meter and was able to bypass through the unit and get 120 volts. Problem is I only now charge house batteries when on shore power. I agree these were units ahead of there time and I hope worth saving.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Please think twice before doing business with Xantrex. I has a well rated inverter of theirs that had problems charging AGM batteries without destroying them. The inverter was only a few years old. They told me that it was unfixable and the throw it out. I have heard others talk of poor support from them. Magnum on the other hand has a great reputation as a manufacture of power equipment and service providing for their products.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Please think twice before doing business with Xantrex. I has a well rated inverter of theirs that had problems charging AGM batteries without destroying them. The inverter was only a few years old. They told me that it was unfixable and the throw it out. I have heard others talk of poor support from them. Magnum on the other hand has a great reputation as a manufacture of power equipment and service providing for their products.
FWIW rick...I entirely agree about Xantrex...they've made some great products but their service sucks and they could care less. Would never BUY another product from them.
Still...If I owned one....I'd check out the cost before laying out a grand or two for a new Magnum.
Sometimes just a good local electronics repair guy can spot something obvious and save an otherwise perfectly good inverter for a few years.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We just replaced our old, rebuilt 1500 watt Freedom with a 3000 watt pure sine Xantrex. We have had no problems and the customer service has been nothing but nice and fast with any questions we have had over the last 6 months.

Personally I would not rebuild but just bite the bullet and buy a brand new pure sine inverter. Either Maginum or Xantrex are good choices. Thou you can get more bang for your buck with a Xantrex. For the same money we paid for the 3000 watt one from Xantrex we could have bought a 2000 watt from Maginum. Both pure sine.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Trace (now Xantrex) will not service or provide parts for any of their older models. Mine is a 2004 and they had no parts for it as early as 2009, but I was able to find a repair shop that still had the circuit board I needed in stock. Xantrex was totally unhelpful - they just said replace it, and by the way your existing remote panel and AutoGenStart system won't be compatible with the new one either. They didn't even say "Sorry 'bout that".

Magnum Energy was formed by some former Trace people and gives much better customer service.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody57 View Post
Have a 2000 watt Trace inverter. 1999 age that I would like to send to be rebuilt. Only allowing 106 volts through. Any recommendations?
I have had our unit repaired due to a AC sense issue with no issues. The repair facility is a marina store in tenneesee. turn around was less than a week with ups and cost was 90.00 less than a new unit. here is the contact info:
pj gonzalez 615-285-0611
email pgonzales@inverterservicecenter.com

hope this helps
intow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by intow View Post
I have had our unit repaired due to a AC sense issue with no issues. The repair facility is a marina store in tenneesee. turn around was less than a week with ups and cost was 90.00 less than a new unit. here is the contact info:
pj gonzalez 615-285-0611
email pgonzales@inverterservicecenter.com

hope this helps
It is my opinion that for $90 going new is better in this case. Why not upgrade to a stronger unit and beef up the battery bank? For dry camping the more power available the better.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

So you suggest spending over 1000 bucks on a new unit (ME2012) rather than 90 bucks to save a comparable unit?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #13

I would contact Ron Wicklund at D&R Family RV. He is the most knowledgeable and fair person concerning this field I have ever come across.

RV Service Reviews
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
So you suggest spending over 1000 bucks on a new unit (ME2012) rather than 90 bucks to save a comparable unit?
Instead of having our 1500 watt modified wave unit rebuilt we bought a 3000 watt pure sine wave unit. Knowing the wattage of things in the RV just made it a no brainer for us. Our convection microwave itself is a 1600 watt unit .....

Tags
inverter