Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Track record

If you were choosing between a Fleetwood Storm or a Winnebago Sunstar, which one would you choose? 2 adults, 2 kids ages 6 and 9. Which manufacturer works with you best after the sale for service and parts, even after warranty is up? Both have bunks. I have read some on each owner's forum, but was wondering if there are known issues with either that I am unaware of? We are going back tomortow and compare storage space a little. Hubs may test drive the Winnie. The Fleetwood may be harder for them to pull out for a test drive due to its location on the lot so we may need to schefule a test drive for it. Anything I need to ask about or look for while we are comparing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

I would go with the Winnebago, when we were looking we weren't impressed by the Fleetwood Storm. Before buying make sure you drive both no matter how much work they need to do to get them out, that is their problem. Also don't be afraid to look at other brands, you may pay a few thousand more but at the price you are starting at it doesn't make that much difference and you want to get the floor plan and quality you are looking for. Good Luck and remember looking for one is half the fun, so make sure you look at and drive as many as you can and you will soon see the differences and be able to define what is quality to you. For some it's price, others floorplan, others craftsmanship.

Take your time and do your research, we spent two years looking and researching, it doesn't have to take that long but we ended up with a much better MH than we were originally looking for, and got a great price. One of the few things I have bought that I didn't have one minute of buyers remorse, as I had done my research and bought what worked best for us, and I knew the price was good.

Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Okay thank you. We have been looking a little over a year. Read books. Looked at fifth wheels too. I think hubs has always wanted a motor home though. I think a test drive will tell him a lot as well. We have been to RV shows, talked to friends with RVs. I am concerned about enough food storage in a motor home----my son eats more than some adults!!
Old 03-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

That's why we ended up buying a little bigger than we originally planned and ended up with a bath and a half, and a 4 door fridge. We can carry all the food we need, and still have plenty of room. Also look at the basement storage areas, we have plenty of storage area if needed but my wife is always looking for way to fill them up. Once you start driving them you will see big differences, check the chassis capacities and go with a bigger chassis for a better ride. Like I said before with the starting prices as high as they are, you would be surprised at what you can get for a few thousand more, and you will enjoy it so much more. Also compare the msrp's and when you do so plan on getting around a 25% discount +/-. Good luck
Old 03-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Storm offers a lot of things as "standard". Just do a good comparison between the two. Chassis weight range is a good start. Many things will be the same.
Get in them, put all the slides out an sit down and "feel" the room and how convenient it feels.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

I think the fridge is big enough but storage for dry goods and snacks, pantry staples and dishes and pots and pans has me concerned. Price is similar between the two. How is Fleetwood for repairs and customer service after the sale?
Old 03-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRV View Post
I think the fridge is big enough but storage for dry goods and snacks, pantry staples and dishes and pots and pans has me concerned. Price is similar between the two. How is Fleetwood for repairs and customer service after the sale?
I think most all the Manufacturers are fairly good at resolving issues when they arise. Most of them have facilities at their factories where you can schedule appointments for repairs, which may be inconveinent but they get done right. The trick is finding a dealership that you trust, does a good PDI and will address the issues in a timely manner, not leaving your MH sit for weeks while they are "waiting for parts". Some dealers are just unethical and put all the money making before customer service. Make sure whatever you buy that you do not sign papers or take delivery until all the repairs you feel needed are done and the MH is presented to you with everything working as it should. One trick some dealers do is to not fix things during the PDI, but wait until it is sold and do it as warranty work so they make more money, meanwhile you sit and wait for the MH you already paid for.

We shook hands on our deal and scheduled a pick up date and did not sign anything or pay a penny until after we did a 4 hour walkthrough, they showed us how everything worked and had us do it with them there, and that's just the way our dealer does it, he is really ethical and gets plenty of sales by word of mouth...that's customer service.

We met a couple at a CG who had a brand new Fleetwood Class C with so many issues, that they had to take it out of the shop with only half of the repairs made after several weeks just so they could use it. They ended up going to our dealer and traded it in taking a loss and bought a Class A Newmar. They called us to tell us how much happier they were, even though they lost money. We also have a friend with a Fleetwood Class C who loves it and gets great customer service, so it's really all about who you buy it from and how good that dealership is in resolving issues.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a comparison of the two would have me going with the Winnebago. We bought ours new in '08 and it's been very trouble free. Tech support has been great too- over the phone and by email. Here's the thing though...Schwintek slide mechanisms are on both makes. There are very problematic. Check on these forums and you'll find lots about them. Fortunately ours doesn't have them. If you want a really good rig without these troublesome slides get a Newmar. They are also very sound and from what I hear- the support is also very good. I would be looking at a Canyon Star model if I were you..I believe they have a bunk bed floor plan as well. If not the Bay Star should.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

Unfortunately no Newmar dealer near us. Closest one is 3ish hours away.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I think I'd still do it....get a thorough PDI and then camp near the dealer for a couple of days for a shakedown. I'd contact Newmar and ask if they know who might do warrantee work besides where you bought it.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:35 AM   #11

Quote:
The one we bought from is a two hour drive for us, and well worth the drive. We have only had a few minor issues, which were handled in one day and we took the MH home with us on the same day. That is worth it's weight in gold when you talk to some people who have had their MH's in the shop for weeks if not months having repairs done that should have never gotten past the PDI. When making this kind of investment, it is much more involved than buying a car, and well worth driving or even flying the distance needed to get a good deal from a reputable dealer.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #12

I would suggest too, that the drive itself should be for more than a five-minute around-the-block quickee. A smooth road, with no pavement joints should result in a smooth, vibration free ride. Make sure it tracks well and doesn't pull. You should pass passed by a truck or two as well to see how it reacts to the "push" when a semi passes you. Be sure to get to highway speed and cruise for a few minutes.

Much good advice above...don't sign anything until all issues are fixed.