Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

Traction Tires

I am heading to Idaho in a'04 Adventurer and will cross several mountain passes that are posted "carry chains or traction tires" with no snow yet. What is the conventional wisdom for responding to this message?
Maverick03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I think there are start and end dates on the provision. Not sure what they are but a check would help as you may be outside of the provision limits.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I carry a set of tire chains just to be legal in these situations. I will never, ever use them. My thinking on this is to carry chains to be legal, but pull off the road and wait it out if the road conditions suddenly require the use of chains.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I carry a set of tire chains just to be legal in these situations. I will never, ever use them. My thinking on this is to carry chains to be legal, but pull off the road and wait it out if the road conditions suddenly require the use of chains.

Jim
Wise man,
Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post

Jim

Same here. I have a set of chains bought many years ago to show if asked to do so in a 'chain law' state. But no intention to ever actually put them on.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"carry chains or traction tires"
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There is a thing called an AUTOSOCK that is approved as an alternative to chains in many states. It's a fabric cover that provides better traction.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick03 View Post
I am heading to Idaho in a'04 Adventurer and will cross several mountain passes that are posted "carry chains or traction tires" with no snow yet. What is the conventional wisdom for responding to this message?
Try reading this:

http://www.trucking.org/ATA%20Docs/W...rch%202014.pdf

Granted it is for commercial trucks, but really reading the whole thing will go along way toward alleviating your fears.

I have been full timing for a little over 10 years with annual trips between the mid-west and the west coast, just a shade over 100,000 miles in Class A RVs. Taken ALL the east-west Interstates (except I-90) and have never concerned myself with carrying chains.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Got stopped one time at a chain inspection station. They did not ask to see the chains, simply said put chains on to keep going or park over there.

Nice parking area to spend the night in. Next day the road was open and away we went.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I think you'll find that the only time you're required to carry chains is when they mandate chain-up conditions due to snow. I know as a commercial driver I NEVER carried chains. If I was on a road that required chain-up there were always chain rental set-ups on each side of the required chain-up area. One to rent them, the other one to drop them off at.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

I've lived in Northern Nevada, near Reno for almost 30 years. I drive I-80, US50 and SR88 back and forth to California, and all around Lake Tahoe, year round. I've never seen any place that will rent you tire chains. They're happy to sell them to you, and there are guys along the road that will install and remove them for you, but you won't find any for rent in the Sierras.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #12

Anywhere I park is home; when we encounter bad weather I park the RV and wait for better weather. Nothing is more urgent or important than our health and safety. I've never carried chains and probably never will. Snow tires OTOH, are on my truck and DW's Jeep.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We were at Pagosa Springs week before last - raining etc. It started to cool so I decided to wonder up Wolf Creek Pass to have a look
Got to the bottom of the range and the sign said CMV Chain Up
Got half way up the hill and the slosh turned to snow when the OTA hit 32f
There was chaos
Trucks, 5 th wheels, cars all over the place.
Semi's were blocking the pass pretty much.
Little Subaru went straight to the top and back.
It took next to no snow to stop all the trucks, caravans and 5th wheels.
It's the law in Colorado to carry chains (I have cable chains) between Nov and May.
Most of these semis just got caught out expecting rain but the temp dropped quickly and turned to snow.
Not carrying chains is hardly an option.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
For information: Just posted by local television station. Travel Alert: I-90 Snoqualmie Pass Westbound is CLOSED at milepost 70 (Easton). No scheduled time on when it will reopen. At this time several vehicles have spun out and are in the process of clearing them. Eastbound is open but CHAINS are required. If you are traveling be very safe!

Hope this helps people making plans for this area this winter.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires