RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Trade in or consignment

I'm looking to upgrade my class A. Should I trade it in or put it on consignment with a dealer? When sold I'm open to traveling a long distance (to another state)to obtain the best price I can.
Any ideas?

Kampnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would try to sell it myself first, then consignment as a last resort.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #3

Selling outright is a nice option if you have an efficient way to advertise the coach and are willing to wait for a buyer. The same applies to a consignment sale. It might sell quicker, but at a reduced price. I have always traded with the dealer I wanted to buy from. I found that by doing my homework to learn the "Real" value of my trade in, and being patient to get the deal I wanted, it was all done at the same time and I saved on the sales tax because of the trade value. This only works if you are diligent in knowing the real market value of your trade and the best price on the new coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems to me that with either trade in or consignment that the dealer is going to get their X percent of the sale, leaving you with Y dollars.

If X and Y are roughly the same, then trade it in and be done with it. Otherwise you have to worry about potential damage during consignment while it's sitting on the lot and/or during test drives.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the recommendations to sell yourself. I've sold 3 of my previous 4 RVs (including Class A) and in each case made THOUSANDS more vs a trade and that includes factoring in the tax advantage of a trade. It's a seller's market for RVs. Look at RVTraderOnline for comparatives to get an idea of the market. Good luck!
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #6

Depends on how much the dealer is charging for consigning with them. My local dealer just started taking consignments and only charges $350. They advertise it on their website, handle all paperwork and pay you within 10 days of receiving funding on your sale.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #7

Selling yourself is financially your best bet but the most work...so best for you will depend on priorities.

If you do go DIY keys are...
Research and price it to sell...you'll get more traffic quicker. Need to be very realistic and IMHO NADA is overly optimistic on pricing...in the neighbirhood of 10% high.

Clean it COMPLETELY INSIDE AND OUT
Stage It and take many pics...pick the best and retake if necessary
Advertise it at iRV2...RVT.COM...RVTrader.com...and Craigslist all have free options except RVTrader but they are relatively inexpensive and several options.
You will get calls for other listings...consignments etc. I would suggest NO to all but others may have a different opinion.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Depends.
-What year is your coach? Will a buyer need to finance? Over 10yrs old, most banks wont touch it.
What condition is your coach? If not excellent, trade it in.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

Ours was 13 yrs old when we bought it and US Bank financed it for 10 yrs. so there are banks that will loan on older ones.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
It seems to me that with either trade in or consignment that the dealer is going to get their X percent of the sale, leaving you with Y dollars.

If X and Y are roughly the same, then trade it in and be done with it. Otherwise you have to worry about potential damage during consignment while it's sitting on the lot and/or during test drives.
Plus, most standard insurance policies do not cover the vehicle if on consignment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you put it on consignment have a friend go to the lot and play like he wants to buy it. I put a trailer on consignment and they were using it to draw people in and switch them to buying a new unit.

Took it off their lot immediately. They went out of business a year later.
So be careful.

I've sold all my vehicles on Craig's List and local auto sales magazines.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #12
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Depends on how much the dealer is charging for consigning with them. My local dealer just started taking consignments and only charges $350. They advertise it on their website, handle all paperwork and pay you within 10 days of receiving funding on your sale.
Would this dealer be Olathe Ford, who also sells motorhomes including Newmar?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:57 AM   #13

I tend to agree with what has been said, but there are other issues, like do you have the free time to sell it yourself, and do you live in an area with enough nearby population of potential buyers. The more the coach is worth the fewer people that can afford it, but also the farther they are likely to travel to buy it. But still if you are 100 miles from the nearest city of 100,000 people, and your coach is 10+ years old and honestly worth $100,000, chances are there are not that many people within reasonable travel distance that can afford it.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
If you put it on consignment have a friend go to the lot and play like he wants to buy it. I put a trailer on consignment and they were using it to draw people in and switch them to buying a new unit.

Took it off their lot immediately. They went out of business a year later.
So be careful.

I've sold all my vehicles on Craig's List and local auto sales magazines.
You jogged my memory about something posted a several years ago. A couple put their MH on consignment with a dealer who sold their MH and went out of business/filed bankruptcy shortly afterwards. They had to hire a lawyer and and jump through all the hoops to get their money; all the while making payments on the MH.
Another couple bought a MH that was on consignment and had to go to court to get the title several months later. Those threads should still be on irv2.com somewhere.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote