Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO:

#1 Odds are, you'll get the best price for your used MH if you sell it yourself.

#2 A broker or Consignment lot.

#3 Trade in will get you the least value

I sold my Mirada on Craigs list. took about three weeks.

Shutting up the "Site unseen" offers:

I had two people who made ridiculous low offers sight unseen (probably brokers). When I said I'd consider their offer if they meet me at my bank with the funds, I'll bring the title. After we exchanged money and title, I'll take them to the MH where they could look at it and drive it away. This wasn't acceptable to them, they wanted to look at it first.

My replay was: "OH, So you're not really making me a sight unseen offer.. This is my asking price, your welcome to inspect it, then make me an offer."
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
IMHO:

#1 Odds are, you'll get the best price for your used MH if you sell it yourself.

#2 A broker or Consignment lot.

#3 Trade in will get you the least value

I agree, the only thing I thought there might be an incentive for the motorhome sales lot to be a little more aggressive in their trade value when it upselling a more expensive unit. I think right now it's a busy time in the marketplace for them and I'll wait till the holidays and see where they are. What's driving this conversation it is you think you have all of this figured out when making a major purchase and then you live in it on these trips and you realize the things that are more important. Like more space around a king bed, do you really need 2 full baths or one larger and where can you store all those shoes at the front door with the kids and corgis. Live and learn.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
I use Craigslist for a lot of selling. But not for RV's. Too much time and effort to sell an RV and of the 4 RV's I have purchased 3 of them were at a dealership because here in NM you don't pay taxes on the trade in value which definitely cuts down the final price. That and a nice cash down payment helps too.

If you are upside down on your RV then selling it is next to impossible unless you are willing to pay the difference in market value out of your pocket and unless you put down a substantial down payment or have very short loan terms almost all new RV owners are going to be upside down.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanion2 View Post
I use Craigslist for a lot of selling. But not for RV's. Too much time and effort to sell an RV and of the 4 RV's I have purchased 3 of them were at a dealership because here in NM you don't pay taxes on the trade in value which definitely cuts down the final price. That and a nice cash down payment helps too.

If you are upside down on your RV then selling it is next to impossible unless you are willing to pay the difference in market value out of your pocket and unless you put down a substantial down payment or have very short loan terms almost all new RV owners are going to be upside down.

I appreciate your thoughts. We're not upside down but I won't give it away. It's stored inside and it's always detailed. I'll wait till the season calms down. Right now I'm just trying to get everyone's point view how they proceeded through this process. All this information is so helpful to determine a solution. Thank you
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
I appreciate your thoughts. We're not upside down but I won't give it away. It's stored inside and it's always detailed. I'll wait till the season calms down. Right now I'm just trying to get everyone's point view how they proceeded through this process. All this information is so helpful to determine a solution. Thank you
Some dealerships we'll let you sell on consignment on their lot. They get a percentage of the sale so that motivates them to get the best deal. I have sold several motorcycles that way saving me a lot of time and hassle. You always have final say on the sale price as well.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Montana LLC so sales tax doesn't come into the play for me so it boiled down to where would I get the most out of my trade...? I just ordered a new coach which will take 4mo to be built so I wasn't in a big hurry to sell it... I put in on the rvtrader.com and it sold in 2 weeks for 10k more then the dealer offered me and to be honest I should have held out for more after all the response I had on it... ( I left at least 5k on the table) The dealers will play a numbers games with you if you have a trade don't get fooled by that...! I think you will always get a better deal if you order a new coach or one that they have had for less then a Month so they don't have to take in to account there floor planning charges on there in stock unit... PS doing a Montana LLC saved me about 30K in sales tax...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #21

I'd say give a private sale at least a shot . . . but price it right. We've looked at too many units that were the owners "baby" even to the point of telling us about all their great memories. While we truly are happy for their memories, they mean nothing, zero, nada to the actual value of the unit. Having an impeccable service history and unit ready to hit the road (clean and smell free) means far more than sentimentality.

We've looked at far too many units whose price was out of line. So price it correctly, sans any sentimentality Good LUCK!!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #22

You're really not too far from PPL motorhomes. Maybe give that a shot and let them sell it for you on consignment.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale