Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I leave them, but like many I remove any personal information.
I know how good it makes you feel actually seeing some records of work done before your acquired the unit.
out of 6 vehicles i traded or sold
only one person has ever contacted me about the vehicle.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We traded in a coach and were told to remove all personal information. We did leave all manuals that applied to the coach though. We must have missed something though because the new owner called me on my cell phone wanting to know what was wrong with the coach and why we traded it in (upgraded from a class c because we are full timing). Assured him that we hadn't had any problems. I think what he was really upset with was that the 31 foot RV he now has doesn't get better gas mileage than his old 24 footer.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
Community Administrator

I sold my last MH privately so of course the buyer knew who I was but would leave everything even if I traded and furthermore I would give the dealer permission to have the new owner call me.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought the 79 Pace Arrow and received all receipts and even though it had sat for a period of time due to illness it has saved me money. Every dime I've spent on it is documented since purchasing and if/when I sell it they will go with it along with photos.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was talking to a friend who is selling his 5er. He said he was taking things out so he could sell it. Why! I said, when I get ready to sell the MH everything goes and I'm taking some boxes out of my garage and put them in there as well, I have no idea whats in them. Of course the manuals and invoices etc are included.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #20

I would never purchase a used MH without maintenance records. When I bought my 97 imperial the dealer tried to remove them after I signed the paperwork and I told them the deal was off if they weren't returned. It is so important to know the history of a vehicle as complicated as a MH.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I vote for leaving everything in. If whoever has my old units, I would be willing to let them know anything I know about it. I can always block calls if I need to.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #22

Dealers will almost certainly remove any data from the previous owner, like service records, parts replaced, items repaired, etc. They seem reluctant to even keep the factory owners manuals and documents with the coach. This practice is followed by all auto, truck and rv dealers, and I have seen this in action for about fifty years of dealing with various dealers. All very similar in this area.
I much prefer buying from a private party because you can see and talk with the selling party, and make a pretty accurate evaluation of their habits regarding servicing the unit. Just look around at their other vehicles and property. Is everything well maintained or everything just hap hazardly strewn about?
Just my preferences.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have traded in three motorhomes in 10 years and the dealer has always removed the records......I know since I have gone back to look to see how much they are asking......
Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep a repair, modification and addition log in an Excel spread sheet. It also has dates and mileage of oil changes and lubes. It also has generator info.
A printed copy along with a copy of the file on a CD will go in the bag with all of the manuals when I sell the motor home.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
When I traded my 1990 GeorgieBoy in 2001, left all the manuals and maintenance records. The Mh was sold twice in the following years. The last owner called me one time, he was doing a total renovation and asked if I had any recommendations or concerns about the running gear or the coach.
I agree -the records should stay with the vehicle, unless --you sell it to that guy in Nigeria........
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #26

You would never buy a used tractor trailer without the repair history so why would you accept a vehicle as complicated as a motor home without knowing its history? I also recommend having the oil and trans fluid tested by a lab to check the condition of the components.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #27

Thank You to all for your postings.

I will insist that the consignment dealer leave all records in the coach and make it clear that I am available to answer any questions about the coach. When I look at all the repairs made over the years I am fearful of scaring off a new RVer. LOL On the other hand, I am a nut about preventative maintenance and making sure EVERYTHING on the coach works as it should. Someone will be getting a good entry level gas motorhome with a complete history included.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our new to us MH came with every imaginable manual from the engine & trans to the stereo in the nice accordion pouch Winnebago provides. Not much in the way of service records though. It would have been nice to know about the pricier ones like transmission fluid and filters.

When we traded the old one I made sure to include any paperwork I had but as far as oil changes I did them myself once a year and without saving every receipt could not prove it anyway. The trans did not have enough miles for service. As far as keeping some kind of records on a spread sheet, it is a nice idea for your own records but I could make one up right now and print it out so I'm not sure I would trust one of them.

When trading in I think the best bet would be to be removed from the picture. Let the new owner deal with the RV dealer. I left our old one in tip top condition but things break and I don't need some nut driving us crazy because a clamp came loose. Another reason to think about a trade in vs a private sale.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote