Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

Trading up???

My wife and I just returned from a 1700 mile trip and once again our coach performed flawlessly!! We own a 2002 40' American Eagle, and typically pull a 32' enclosed car trailer. The Eagle is our first coach and we have owned it for 6 years now. (32,000 miles later) We love everything about it but have also figured out what we would like if and when we ever sell it. We have decided to start looking into a 42-45 TAG with a bath and 1/2. I am thinking of a 2006 or newer American Heritage, American Eagle, Country Coach Magna. Other considerations have been the Holiday Navigator or Monaco Dynasty. Any input on these choices that may help me steer in the right direction would be helpful.

Some creature comforts the wife and I would like:
4 Slides
MCD Blinds
Heated floors
Bath and 1/2-Rear full bath
Dishwasher
Aqua Heat
All electric
3 AC units -I believe typical in anything over 40'
Tile floors except for BR (OK if BR has it too)
Washer AND Dryer
Residential Fridge

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Hi,

About the only thing I can tell you is that Country Coach built a superb, quality coach.
The company is back in business, and Ron Lee should start building new coaches next year.
I have been Rv'ing for 30 plus yaers and have owned a variety of coaches, and I must tell you that you the build quality, fit and finish of my Country Coach is great.
With the Dynomax chassis, and IFS the coach drives like a dream.
So look at them all, and then choose Country Coach.

Lots of real deals out there now. Check out:
2008 Country Coach Affinity 45' | Country Coach Corporation

and
Coaches for Sale Premier RV

for some examples.
But, it's almost time for a new CC for me, so you better hurry.

Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Tiffin bus
Itasca Ellipse
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
You are so long that you are illegal in every state.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the input...will check them out.

Yes I am illegal, even with a 40' coach. However, I will say the coach stops shorter distance due to the triax disc brakes, (Compared to a trailer of similar size with 4 disc brakes) and it also helps stabilize the coach tremendously on windy days and when semi's pass me. That being said, I'm getting a stacker to take care of the legal issue. I don't want any issues in case of any incidents, even if not my fault.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenrock View Post
My wife and I just returned from a 1700 mile trip and once again our coach performed flawlessly!! We own a 2002 40' American Eagle, and typically pull a 32' enclosed car trailer. The Eagle is our first coach and we have owned it for 6 years now. (32,000 miles later) We love everything about it but have also figured out what we would like if and when we ever sell it. We have decided to start looking into a 42-45 TAG with a bath and 1/2. I am thinking of a 2006 or newer American Heritage, American Eagle, Country Coach Magna. Other considerations have been the Holiday Navigator or Monaco Dynasty. Any input on these choices that may help me steer in the right direction would be helpful.

Some creature comforts the wife and I would like:
4 Slides
MCD Blinds
Heated floors
Bath and 1/2-Rear full bath
Dishwasher
Aqua Heat
All electric
3 AC units -I believe typical in anything over 40'
Tile floors except for BR (OK if BR has it too)
Washer AND Dryer
Residential Fridge
Buying the top of the line WINNEBAGO or ITASKA, will get you everything on the list. But I would not be satisfied that my research was over until I looked at the Foretravels.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
jdo

Monaco Owners Club
Dukenrock, your list is exactly like ours last year. We looked at several (seems like hundreds) to meet our specs. The Phaeton was leading for a while, we really liked the 40'. We looked at the Monaco and for the money difference (traded a 2002 Journey) went with the Monaco 43. We liked them all, quality and workmanship was great in all we looked at. In the end I guess what made the difference was just how we felt standing inside them, for some reason we liked the Monaco but feel we would have been just as happy with any of the others. Not sure if made right decision but time will tell.
jdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenrock View Post
We own a 2002 40' American Eagle, and typically pull a 32' enclosed car trailer. The Eagle is our first coach and we have owned it for 6 years now. (32,000 miles later)
Sounds like a great setup that you have already! We're still in our first year of ownership with our "new to us" NRV, but we're already talking about upgrading in the next couple of years into something that will be more comfortable for long-term travel and living.

Our NRV Sea Breeze is 32' in length and we pull an open/flatbed car trailer so that we can bring our VW Tiguan along with us. This makes us just over 53' long. As we think about what we're looking for in a new MH, the setup that you have (length and enclosed trailer) is where we are headed ... likely in the 40'-45' range - then add a 20'-26' trailer, and we'll be right in the 60'-71' long range ... and yes these lengths might still be too long to be legal everywhere, so we really want to make sure that we find the right overall package. In looking at Towing World, it appears that 60' in length is about the best average to stay "legal" in nearly all states.

But anyway, onto my question ... at 72' long now, how have your travels been? I don't want to get too nosy about where you've been or where you have stayed, but after 32,000 miles and your most recent 1,700 mile trip I'm curious if you have found it problematic to find campgrounds that support your length?

Have you spent any time traveling to State and National Parks, and have you had problems navigating through them and/or finding places to park/camp?

Over the last year we've become "Accidental Full Timers" and really enjoy the time we spend in our MH whether that's time travelling to new destinations, or even "driveway boondocking" it for weeks at a time with family and friends. We're not ready yet to get rid of our Sticks & Bricks houses - but that time is coming and we plan to research as much as we can before making that leap.

Thanks!
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
dukenrock...since you love your AC Eagle, why not check out the AC line. ALL can fill your wish list and many of your items are standard.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is our 5th Coach. We traded a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42' tag on it; we had that Tiffin for over 3 years and 35,000 miles - we loved it. We looked and looked for the "replacement", and we found it. I have a few posts on here and lots over on the Tiffin site about this subject so I won't bore you now. Dollar for Dollar, pound for pound, feature for feature this was the best choice for us. We looked at Newmar, Winnebago, and Tiffin; all nice coaches but none as nice as this one at this price. Spartan "Liberty" chassis is exceptional, even better than the Spartan MM on our Tiffin. We are all*electric and wouldn't go back. AC is doing a wonderful job on these Coaches now and I really feel like they're trying hard to win Customer loyalty back through value and quality? Good luck with your shopping; how can you not wind up with a great Coach??
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #11

dukenrock - We have a Country Coach Affinity. We have very happy with ours. The Monaco lines competitive with a CC Magna are Executive and Signature. Beaver also makes a beautiful coach.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #12

Along with all the others you mentioned, As O/P said you should look at Foretravel, good solid company, great coach, good product support even on coaches that are long past warrenty period.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote