Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tragedy leans me the need of some ideas on Class A, Safety Bar

Well the last few years haven't been well on my body. After a year of recovering from a severe left Tib/Fib break on the job (FF)(2nd Time same leg more metal) which forced me out after 36+ yrs. and retired, my brothers threw a great surprise retirement party a few weeks back. My DW and I sold the house and was living in the MH. The day before leaving to Florida, (Oct. 20th) to get away from the cold and snow while camping at the Salisbury State beach park prepping to leave, along with another fellow retired FF(Class A). Tragedy stuck once again as I was stepping out of the MH left leg gave way and fell, ending up with a severely broke my left hip. Took over 4 hrs of surgery to put it together, more screws and metal but I'm here couldn't been worse. So with no house and Dr. says no travel min. for 6 mths or more we are moving into an apt. that my great daughter and her family's currently live in to start the recovery. I'm not happy I've always felt we always take care of the family but for the second time I find my family taking care of me. Anyway this wasn't about me though I had to set the stage of the importance of what I'm hoping someone have ideas on and that's some sort of safety bar that can swing out from the right side that I'll be able to grab bar that I can hold onto getting in and out of the MH step up and down the stairs that swings away when traveling but can help me up the entire length of stairs. Can't afford anything else on the left side. From inside the MH the door hinges is on the left probably like most if not all Class A's. Oh BTW this was our 1st MH got it last year after selling our TT when it became apparent I wasn't heading back to the my dream job. I'm determined not to give up, my wife and I have dream of traveling around the country for over 40 yrs. once I retired and I want to keep the promise to her whose a cancer survivor herself.
So if anyone has something that is proven and some pictures they could send me though it won't be to next year, I staying positive and want to be set to do something as soon as I can so we can get out and go camping once again.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #2

You've been given a lot to deal with; but your PMA is more important than ever right now, so keep it up.
I don't know about your upper body strength (which won't increase with age), so what about talking to people that install lifts that get drivers back to their wheelchairs that ride on the back of the vehicle?
I don't know how they work, but maybe the concept of what you're wanting would be something that they could modify with their products.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about your falls, I've seen these in use, or similar.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Str...ts-AM-533.aspx

For the inside, perhaps a custom bit of railing permanently installed?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #4

Tradegy leans me the need of some ideas on Class A, Safety Bar

Sorry to hear of your falls, I fall on Sept 6th this year and still not at 100% and still ware a back brace and will for for a few more weeks, I hope thats all. I placed ruff mats on are steps as my DW fall on ours as well. I put you and your family on the prayer list at church everyone needs someone to pray them. Hope you get well soon and continue on your adventures.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

There are several different kinds of lifts available to help entering and exiting the rv. Have a speedy recovery. Heres an example Cheers
Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

I can relate! 20 surgeries since 2004 on my legs due to several folks running red lights. Any fabrication shop can fabricate and install a foldable rail. Best of luck!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had both my knees replaced during the same surgery in February 2014. Knowing that I would be spending my rehab time in my Class C, I installed a simple grab rail into the side of my kitchen cabinet next to the door.

One thing you might want to start doing - always exit your RV by turning around and stepping backwards down the stairs. That way you can get a better grip on the hand rails and better control your balance. If you must take something with you out the door, set it on the top step and pick it up after you are on firm ground.

Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Sorry to hear about your falls, I've seen these in use, or similar.

For the inside, perhaps a custom bit of railing permanently installed?
Another vote for a fold out rail or a custom fabricated railing. We had fold out handles on our travel trailers. They were really helpful, as I don't have a single joint in my body that I can trust. Our MH only has an interior rail, so I exit sort of crabbing sideways!

I also support the idea of exiting backwards, if practical. Our MH is a truck conversion which gives me the option of entering and exiting through the cab, similar to going up and down a ladder. Even though it is a steeper climb, there are more and sturdier handholds, which I prefer when my joints are on strike.

Sorry to hear about your hardships. Best of luck with your recovery.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Safety suggestions

Folks,
Want to thank everyone for your suggestions and your own experiences. I also want to wish everyone safe travels. Got a long way to recovery but I do like the swing out rail on the side. I also saw that they have a screen door safety rail as well that can be attached for a little extra support. Hopefully by next summer I'm recovered enough to make the updates and finally start enjoying the MH and travel the countryside. Something my wife and I have been talking about for over 40 yrs.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #10

Sorry to hear of your multiple fractures and impending long recovery; I wish you a full and speedy recuperation.

You might want to check out mobility vehicle converters and suppliers. Your needs are more typical than one might presume and adaptive mechanics can design and install equipment that will greatly help you.

Good luck to you and your family. Post back and let us know how your recovery is progressing.
Solo_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the tip

[QUOTE=Finance;4479120]Sorry to hear about your falls, I've seen these in use, or similar.

Thank you for the link to the handrail. I ordered as soon as I read your post.
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
You may want to follow this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/a-ne...tx-419124.html

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, safety