Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer pigtail

I have a 2005 Coach on a Freightliner chassis. I have a 7 way plug at the trailer hitch which was installed from the factory. I have just lost my left turn signal at that plug , all the lights on the coach function normally including both turn signals. I did use a test meter to confirm there is no power at that plug for the left signal.

My question is , could there be a fuse or circuit breaker controlling that ?
Or is it just simply a bad connection some where ?

Thanks.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If everything works except the left turn at the plug it isn't a fuse. Turn signal circuits are not fused separately.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

I'm having the exact same problem on our 2003 Fleetwood Expedition. Going in to the shop next week.
Skipper Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #4

You may have relays that repeat the turn signals from the front to the back. Look in your battery compartment for fuses and small black boxes that are repeater relays. My Revolution has 4 of them.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
If everything works except the left turn at the plug it isn't a fuse. Turn signal circuits are not fused separately.
Well,
Not exactly accurate. You see, the OP does not state his make and model, only the chassis, Freightliner. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, is also on a Freightliner chassis and DOES HAVE SEPERATE fuses for the trailer plug. These fuses control ONLY the trailer plug and have nothing to do with the the regular light output, at each tail light, on the motor home.

Now, for us, our trailer fuses are located inside the left most rear panel. It's not a normal compartment door type thing. Although, the panel does hinge up, just like all the compartment doors. There are a couple of other important items in that locale too but, that's where our trailer fuses are.

Now are they located in the same area on his coach, not a clue. Below are a few pics of what the trailer plug fuse box looks like. I dug around and found ours but, it was on the bottom of a stack of other items in that area. I determined that, that was not gonna fly if I had to do a repair out on the road 'cause it was hard to get to. So, I moved it, cleaned things up and labeled the outside of the box.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000557.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	200836  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #6

My coach is a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition. Fire up , when you say left most rear panel I assume you are referring to an exterior compartment ?

I did check my fuse box under the dash and found nothing that says trailer plug.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #7

On mine, the fuses for the 7 pin connector are located in the right rear compartment inside a small box marked Busman. Pull the cover, fuses are even labeled by function.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

I turned on my 4-ways and followed the clicking sound to a compartment on the passenger side just aft the rear axle. Opened a cover on a black box and there was the fuses , and yes the left hand fuse was blow. New fuse and all is good.

Thanks for everyones help on this , it truly is an easy fix once you know what you are looking for.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #9

Without the motor running so you can hear a clicking sound put on the turn signal that works. The Chassis turn signals which are controlled in the steering column and make no noise, triggers relays that make an audible clicking sound as they are triggered off and on to flash the trailer lights. On my rig it was at there very far back left side. The box that houses the fuses and relays is black plastic and about 5" x 5" This is a pic with the lid open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171103_105244.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	200974  
Old 04-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #10

I have a 2004 Itasca Horizon like Fire Up. Coming through Virginia I destroyed the Light Cord to the toad dragging the coil on the Highway. This after checking it at the previous Reststop. Found I had no right turn signal and right brake light on the toad. While troubleshooting it at Cherry Hill Park outside of DC I had a fellow IRV member come over and introduce himself as he had been following my posts about this Park. While we were talking he noticed the trouble light in my hands and offered to help. He knew that the Evolution Chassis had the mini trailer fuses behind the panel next to the side radiator. Removed two screws to raise the panel and found the 20amp fuse for the RT had blown. Replaced the fuse and ordered a new Roadmaster Coil Cord from Amazon and 1,000 miles later everything has worked fine.
Now if repairing wind damage to a fiberglass roof was as cheap and easy life would be perfect.

Tags
trailer