Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #155
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Ohio has been weighing axles for some time now.

However, it wasn't that long ago sometime this past summer that DOT has now changed the laws for the rear single axle maximum weight for motor-homes. It is now exempt from the national axle limit of 20,000 lbs. So Ohio will now have to allow motor-homes that exceed the single axle limit of 20,000 lbs. which mine does. I am currently at 23,378 lb's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Perfect, that is exactly what happened to my freind "I got to talk with my friend again that had the gate go down on him. When the toll attendant came over he pointed out that it was an RV with RV plates, and the gate was lifted and he was allowed to pass without any further questions."
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #156

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Just put a deposit on a custom Vintage Outlaw trailer (24 foot with lots of options and color to match the MH) to be used to haul the Jeep when traveling (not racing) I should have it for the trip for Florida in the spring to go watch the Gator Nationals in Gainesville.

Gainesville Raceway News: 2014 Gatornationals

Vintage Trailers Racing Trailers

On another topic a friend of mine told me tonight that while traveling in Ohio they now have EZPass, and they weigh each axle when you go through. It turned out he was over weight on his rear axle (Renegade MH with Renegade Stacker Trailer) The gate came down and stopped him from proceeding. We got side tracked talking about the Gator Nationals and I forgot to get back to what happened after the gate came down.

Anyone else had this problem?
Nice looking trailer. One suggestion though, see if they will install the .040" exterior in place of the standard .030". I have had both and there is quite a big difference in the overall "feel" of the trailer and much less flexing of the exterior between the vertical supports. Also, in a rare case that you may have to touch up or repair the exterior, the .040" is much easier to repair/paint.

I didn't see in the brochure what the weight capacity the axles were but I would recommend at least 6k pound axles. I have the 7k pound Dexter axles under my Haulmark and love the weight carrying capacity that I have.

Also, one last request, post up some pictures when you get it so we can all drool over it.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #157

i am intrested in these as well. do you unhook or stay hooked all the time. this is what i would rather do if possible. also what do most of you carry for a toad in your trailers i was looking at the smallest unit myself looking for ideas thanks
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #158

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-1 View Post
i am intrested in these as well. do you unhook or stay hooked all the time. this is what i would rather do if possible. also what do most of you carry for a toad in your trailers i was looking at the smallest unit myself looking for ideas thanks
We carry a 2011 Jeep Unlimited (four-door) and our 2004 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. Last year we hauled my 2010 Dyna Wide Glide and my son's Buell but he went out and bought a new 2012 HD Street Bob this past spring which is longer than his Buell and now both Dynas won't fit. So the wife and I bring our Ultra Classic instead.

Mike.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #159
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Nice looking trailer. One suggestion though, see if they will install the .040" exterior in place of the standard .030". I have had both and there is quite a big difference in the overall "feel" of the trailer and much less flexing of the exterior between the vertical supports. Also, in a rare case that you may have to touch up or repair the exterior, the .040" is much easier to repair/paint.

I didn't see in the brochure what the weight capacity the axles were but I would recommend at least 6k pound axles. I have the 7k pound Dexter axles under my Haulmark and love the weight carrying capacity that I have.

Also, one last request, post up some pictures when you get it so we can all drool over it.

Mike.
Many options already selected, lights 110 v outside inside, flooring plated ramp, 5200 pound Dexter axles. RV tongue, 16 inch wheels and tires aluminum rims seven foot inside, off the top of my head. I'll post pictures when it is done end of January, beginning of February. I really do not want to add yet another option (read that as cost) to go to the thicker wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-1 View Post
I'm told that in some RV parks you need to unhook and store the trailer off the camp site, I am modify (strengthening) the jeep to be able to move the trailer around short distances should this happen, I have also heard it is not necessary very often. When racing and I have the 28 footer on I do not disconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
We carry a 2011 Jeep Unlimited (four-door) and our 2004 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. Last year we hauled my 2010 Dyna Wide Glide and my son's Buell but he went out and bought a new 2012 HD Street Bob this past spring which is longer than his Buell and now both Dynas won't fit. So the wife and I bring our Ultra Classic instead.

Mike.

Jeeps seem to be a very popular option for the tag vehicle
Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I'm told that in some RV parks you need to unhook and store the trailer off the camp site, I am modify (strengthening) the jeep to be able to move the trailer around short distances should this happen, I have also heard it is not necessary very often. When racing and I have the 28 footer on I do not disconnect.
I have a friend with a 22' stacker that has built a two wheeled dolly with about 12" rims that goes into the receiver of his suv that does not swivel but allows him to move it around.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #161

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Trailer Toad looks like it would be great for helping better distribute the axle weights.
I'm just curious....if someone used a Trailer Toad ~ wouldn't they be charged for another set of axles when going through the tolls?
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #162
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
I'm just curious....if someone used a Trailer Toad ~ wouldn't they be charged for another set of axles when going through the tolls?
Every axle is charge that is ON the ground, axles IN the trailer are no charged
Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #163

Vintage RV Owners Club
The Trailer Toad should cost you another axle, if they see it. I sure never told them about it. If they have infra-reds you will be charged.
For how it saves my coach and improves the ride I never cared about a couple more bucks, especially at 8mpg and $4.00 diesel.

To answer an earlier question. My coach had the 6.4 Cummins and the 2150Allison. BOTH were too light duty in my opinion. We sold the coach and I bought an "antique" Hawkins pusher. It has a mechanical injected 8.3 Cummins, we put the bigger fuel plate in from TST and a new turbo. MUCH STRONGER then the 2008 330Hp 6.4L plus I now have the Allison 3060 trans and no worries about trans temp anymore.

Love to have a 600HP but they come in coaches about $300,000 over my price range ;-)

I have a lot of guys who unload their street cat, hook their stacker on the back of it using the Toad on the front of the trailer to park at motor home campgrounds. I didn't have that option one year, trailer had two races cars and three Trailer Toads in it, and the RV Park guy used his tractor and helped me out. The only cost was a 6-pack of his favorite brew.

Here is an interesting link of a customer who ran his race car at the Salt Flats this year but they would not allow his Prevost on the sale so he took the trailer out there with his Jeep. (Not recommended for highway use ;-) no kidding, huh?

jok@trailertoad.com
Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #164

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tried to upload the video, not sure if it attached or not??
Old 12-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #165
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
Tried to upload the video, not sure if it attached or not??
No link, no video
Old 12-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #166

05 Monaco Diplomat 40 DST

40'-10" coach and a 24' v-nose with the RV extended tongue, I haven't actually put a tape measure on it but I think it is conservatively is 67' overall. The trailer houses a Yamaha Royal Star tour deluxe and a Jeep Commander.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131013_100629_872.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	51510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130629_185939_963.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	51511  

1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #167
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
40'-10" coach and a 24' v-nose with the RV extended tongue, I haven't actually put a tape measure on it but I think it is conservatively is 67' overall. The trailer houses a Yamaha Royal Star tour deluxe and a Jeep Commander.
I think you are more like 70 feet, 40 feet of nice motor home, 6 feet of trailer tongue, and 24 of trailer
Old 12-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #168

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
Nice looking rig.

Mike.