Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #197

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I put a Harley Road Glide in the nose, there is 2 ways to counter the tongue weight. Depending on the vehicle you put in the trailer, you can either pull in or back in the trailer so the motor is behind the trailer axles and offset the trailer tongue weight. If I take my smaller (shorter) vehicle I can still pull it in forward and leave it towards the rear of the trailer.

I would purchase a trailer tongue scale, Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales, and make sure you know the amount of tongue weight you have.

I also have my side ramp door behind the 'v', so the approximately 3' of the 'v' is not truly carry the weight. You won't have the width in the 'v' to keep a Harley or a golf cart.

I would be all for a stacker, but you may not want or have the money for a stacker, so you could still make the set up work. Good luck.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #198
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Any more of these long rigs out there?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #199

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I put a Harley Road Glide in the nose, there is 2 ways to counter the tongue weight. Depending on the vehicle you put in the trailer, you can either pull in or back in the trailer so the motor is behind the trailer axles and offset the trailer tongue weight. If I take my smaller (shorter) vehicle I can still pull it in forward and leave it towards the rear of the trailer.

I would purchase a trailer tongue scale, Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales, and make sure you know the amount of tongue weight you have.

I also have my side ramp door behind the 'v', so the approximately 3' of the 'v' is not truly carry the weight. You won't have the width in the 'v' to keep a Harley or a golf cart.

I would be all for a stacker, but you may not want or have the money for a stacker, so you could still make the set up work. Good luck.
This is how we load ours. The Harley Ultra Classic in the nose right up to the workbench at an angle and then back the four door Wrangler into the trailer. I am still almost @ 2k pounds tongue weight but it is the best I can do to lower it as the Jeep is only slightly lighter in the rear than the front. The trailer does tow like a dream though. So far the Haulmark Edge has been the best towing trailer I have ever owned or towed.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #200

Vintage RV Owners Club
tongue weight will be a non-issue and you don't have to worry about damaging the frame and side walls of a good coach is you use the Trailer Toad.
For stackers the 5000SD is the answer. 6000-lb axle, huge 10,000-lb center steering spindle. We have a lot of guys out there trying to tear them up but they are just about bullet-proof.

Mention IRV2 and we will save you $100.00 on your order.

As far as the side door/ramp for a golf cart in a V-nose. If you do not have the rear seat on the golf cart I have never seen a golf cart that wouldn't fit sideways in a trailer. There are usually a couple hundred golf carts at a big drag race and 99% of them roll out the side doors of race car trailers. Make sure they build the door to take 2000 lbs and I also think the idea to have a stronger than normal rear door/ramp for heavy street cars is a GREAT IDEA! I would also spend the $200.00 and get the 12V winch for that heavy rear door; better security and safety if the roll-up spring happens to break.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	52330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	52331  

Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #201
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
tongue weight will be a non-issue and you don't have to worry about damaging the frame and side walls of a good coach is you use the Trailer Toad.
For stackers the 5000SD is the answer. 6000-lb axle, huge 10,000-lb center steering spindle. We have a lot of guys out there trying to tear them up but they are just about bullet-proof.

Mention IRV2 and we will save you $100.00 on your order.

As far as the side door/ramp for a golf cart in a V-nose. If you do not have the rear seat on the golf cart I have never seen a golf cart that wouldn't fit sideways in a trailer. There are usually a couple hundred golf carts at a big drag race and 99% of them roll out the side doors of race car trailers. Make sure they build the door to take 2000 lbs and I also think the idea to have a stronger than normal rear door/ramp for heavy street cars is a GREAT IDEA! I would also spend the $200.00 and get the 12V winch for that heavy rear door; better security and safety if the roll-up spring happens to break.
How about the extra long RV tongue for the trailer? Recommended?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #202

Vintage RV Owners Club
do not need the extended tongue as the Toad moves the trailer back and will eliminate the chance of the trailer hitting the coach on turns.
The extended tongue just moves the trailer back and allows for more sir to get between the coach and trailer and that affects mileage.

If you coach has a rear engine service door I would also recommend the 6" extended "L-shaped" drawbar for the front. Moves the Toad back and makes attaching it easier and in most cases allows the engine access door to open.

I hear about people moving the cars around or other things in a trailer to reduce tongue weight. It can work, but be careful. To have proper trailer "tracking or handling" you need 10 to 15% minimum of the gross trailer weight to be on the tongue. 10,000 lb trailer needs 1000 to 1500 lbs on the tongue to track properly, especially on a bad road or in windy conditions.

Therein lies the problem, very few coaches can take 1000 to 1500 lbs on their hitch, they just are not built to take the pounding. The Trailer Toad is the ONLY hitch that allows you to tow any trailer with virtually zero tongue weight on the coach.

If you are overloading your coach by carrying a lot of cargo, you are probably already "on the edge" for the coach's suspension, tires, sidewalls and such. The Trailer Toad is not for everyone. It is a heavy-duty piece of equipment built for one purpose, making it easier and safer to tow a trailer with a motor home or truck camper. It has limitations and you have to "learn how to benefit from using it".

Be safe out there and have a great CHRISTMAS!!

Jok and Barb
Key West bound in the "old bus" our Hawkins pusher.. as soon as we get a clear (as in snow and ice-free highway ;-)
Old 12-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #203

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
my vintage haul

We had a custom hitch made to replace the unacceptable 5K supplied. Use a reese torsion bar setup. trailer is 24 ft and used to haul our car and a few vintage 70's dirt bikes. our overall is 64 feet. I especially enjoy going into parking lot and maneuvering around the islands in the lot. the content of the trailer is a 72 E Jag. V12 with six spax custom shocks and high speed dunlop tires. 39K miles 0-60 in less than 6 sec with top end at 147 mph.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rig small.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	52409   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer smalljpg.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	52410  

Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #204
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great looking outfit, all three of them.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #205
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
We had a custom hitch made to replace the unacceptable 5K supplied. Use a reese torsion bar setup. trailer is 24 ft and used to haul our car and a few vintage 70's dirt bikes. our overall is 64 feet. I especially enjoy going into parking lot and maneuvering around the islands in the lot. the content of the trailer is a 72 E Jag. V12 with six spax custom shocks and high speed dunlop tires. 39K miles 0-60 in less than 6 sec with top end at 147 mph.
very nice, my only note is you have to be careful with torsion bar setups as they can exert a lot of stress on the frame when driving through swales. With a long over hang behind the rear wheels on the MH it might be better to have dead weight on the hitch if the rear axle of the MH has the carrying capacity.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #206

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
very nice, my only note is you have to be careful with torsion bar setups as they can exert a lot of stress on the frame when driving through swales. With a long over hang behind the rear wheels on the MH it might be better to have dead weight on the hitch if the rear axle of the MH has the carrying capacity.
I have been using this hitch for 25 years. first with a 38 foot boat trailer and now two trips to SW florida. our new custom receiver (square tube) is gusset welded on the cross rail for the hitch and goes under all the way to the bottom of the engine mount under the diesel where it is welded and gusseted to the motor mount cross member. not to worried about bottoming out.

if i do there will be a very deep trench. We really like the hitch as we don't even know we have a trailer behind us at any speed. also the longer hitch point makes it easier when backing up and maneuvering into a parking space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reese sml.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	52426  
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #207
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I have been using this hitch for 25 years. first with a 38 foot boat trailer and now two trips to SW florida. our new custom receiver (square tube) is gusset welded on the cross rail for the hitch and goes under all the way to the bottom of the engine mount under the diesel where it is welded and gusseted to the motor mount cross member. not to worried about bottoming out.

if i do there will be a very deep trench. We really like the hitch as we don't even know we have a trailer behind us at any speed. also the longer hitch point makes it easier when backing up and maneuvering into a parking space.
I fully understand how a weight distribution hitch works. In fact I have the Reese weight distribution hitch with the cam lock anti sway for pulling my 28 foot enclosed car carrier for the pick up.

When I purchased my Dream it came with a user manual, please see the attached page from that manual.

I called fleetwood on this and they said I could only haul 5,000 pounds.

The Dream is on a Gillig chassis so I called Gillig and they almost laughed at that response. The sell the parts to upgrade to 10,000 pounds for that chassis. I went one step further and upgraded to a 16,000 pound hitch. Gillig stated the frame was way more that strong enough to support it (trailer load dead weight).

My original note was just a caution to make sure you understood the dynamics of the stresses of the weight distribution vs the dead weight. I haul the 28 foot with the dream as dead weight, close to 10,000 pounds 1,200 pounds tongue weight and it hauls beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	52428  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #208
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am watching reruns of RV shows on TV and saw this

In the show he was also hauling a pretty good size boat inback of the trailer. Both the boat and the stacker can be moved around by remote control hydrolic dollies.

If I remember right the total length of the MH and two trailers was over 100 feet.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #209

30' Liftgate stacker
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	52560  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #210

Here's a pic of the awning that attaches to the trailer ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	52565