Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #295

I could be wrong but I have always had the feeling that overlength within reason would be a secondary offense. If you got stopped for doing something else wrong and the officer looked at your rig and thought it might be a bit long he might measure it. Getting stopped for lenght alone seems unlikely unless you were VERY long. I have no evidence to prove that just a gut feeling.

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #296

Vintage RV Owners Club
I agree. It is usually something else that gets you stopped.
Last summer the DOT Enforcement officer pulled me over on the way to the races. He was pretty much under orders to pull over all enclosed trailer with commercial lettering on them or sponsors signage as they were looking for Commercial violations.
When I showed him the title is in my personal name, explained I own the company name on the trailer "TrailerToad.com" he seemed a bit easier to get along with.
THEN......he pulled out the tape. I had the small trailer on (28') and I was 71'. He explained what he felt the law was and I got the DOT exemption rule out of the envelope with my insurance, etc and he was impressed. He didn't say either way if I was OK or not. No ticket, he liked how we had the fuel jugs secured and was really interested in the Trailer Toad and how it worked. Of course I gave him a brochure so he could show his buddies.

The next week I applied for and was issued a "Oversize Permit" from Iowa for $29.00. Haven't been stopped since but I am anxious to see what they say. Thousands of these type rigs hit the highways every weekend going to drag races, stock car races, off-road events, etc.
I feel they are looking for "Commercial rigs" and if they are in violation it sounded like they will drop the hammer on them.

I am not changing anything but I am going to try to secure Oversize Permits for the states I tow through the most often.

Be safe out there,

Jok

Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #297
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
I agree. It is usually something else that gets you stopped.
Last summer the DOT Enforcement officer pulled me over on the way to the races. He was pretty much under orders to pull over all enclosed trailer with commercial lettering on them or sponsors signage as they were looking for Commercial violations.
When I showed him the title is in my personal name, explained I own the company name on the trailer "TrailerToad.com" he seemed a bit easier to get along with.
THEN......he pulled out the tape. I had the small trailer on (28') and I was 71'. He explained what he felt the law was and I got the DOT exemption rule out of the envelope with my insurance, etc and he was impressed. He didn't say either way if I was OK or not. No ticket, he liked how we had the fuel jugs secured and was really interested in the Trailer Toad and how it worked. Of course I gave him a brochure so he could show his buddies.

The next week I applied for and was issued a "Oversize Permit" from Iowa for $29.00. Haven't been stopped since but I am anxious to see what they say. Thousands of these type rigs hit the highways every weekend going to drag races, stock car races, off-road events, etc.
I feel they are looking for "Commercial rigs" and if they are in violation it sounded like they will drop the hammer on them.

I am not changing anything but I am going to try to secure Oversize Permits for the states I tow through the most often.

Be safe out there,

Jok
When you are talking about " DOT exemption rule" are you talking about the exemption for a DOT number or something else?

Question 21: Does the exemption in 390.3(f)(3) for the “occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise” apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?
Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

I'm not sure why the DOT office was relaxed about the weight and length when you identified the vehicle as hauling goods for compensation?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #298

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
I could be wrong but I have always had the feeling that overlength within reason would be a secondary offense. If you got stopped for doing something else wrong and the officer looked at your rig and thought it might be a bit long he might measure it. Getting stopped for lenght alone seems unlikely unless you were VERY long. I have no evidence to prove that just a gut feeling.
I too agree that the length would more than likely be in addition to a more serious offense. As long as you are traveling safe and have a safe setup I think it is very unlikely a person would be stopped.

Again, no evidence to support this other than 15+ years of being overlength and never getting stopped but always being safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
He was pretty much under orders to pull over all enclosed trailer with commercial lettering on them or sponsors signage as they were looking for Commercial violations.
Bingo. I had heard the same thing back in 2007 that they were cracking down on this exact thing at the race track(s). On our old trailer we had our shop name and city lettered on the side. When we ordered our new trailer in 2008 I decided to not risk it and did not letter the new trailer.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #299
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
When I put the logo on the side of our trailer I mailed the question to DOT and asked about signage and the about the DOT number exemption (which is not the same thing as over length).

I was told that signage, and "not for hire" had no effect on the DOT number. I carry that answer with me in the truck and MH.

If someone has another exemption for over length on private MH I sure would like to here about it.

I actually had the DOT number on the truck, and when NY came to inspect my maintenance records and inquired about my use of the truck, they took the DOT number away saying that I fit the occosion use not for compensation exemption. The feds have a very tight definition of r compensation ( a ribbon at a car show is considered compensation, I have heard that any "winnings reported on your income tax is a better guide.

A guide is really all it is as a DOT officer is going to do what ever he wants and than you will have to fight it in court.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #300

I guess I'll have to deal with it, as I bought the trailer. It's a used all aluminum ATC 26' enclosed unit with 8' ceilings inside. It comes with three 8' aluminum cabinets, an "L" cabinet in front with tool box, built in 5500 watt commercial generator, built in air compressor, 17' electric awning, 15,000 btu AC, and two outside 500 watt flood lights. With 24' of usable floor space, I will be able to carry the RZR and one of the Jeeps plus tools and supplies. Will have to replace the 10K hitch with a 15K one, but Tiffin said the chassis is built for it. The Jeep and RZR are looking forward to riding in a dry box.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #301
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I guess I'll have to deal with it, as I bought the trailer. It's a used all aluminum ATC 26' enclosed unit with 8' ceilings inside. It comes with three 8' aluminum cabinets, an "L" cabinet in front with tool box, built in 5500 watt commercial generator, built in air compressor, 17' electric awning, 15,000 btu AC, and two outside 500 watt flood lights. With 24' of usable floor space, I will be able to carry the RZR and one of the Jeeps plus tools and supplies. Will have to replace the 10K hitch with a 15K one, but Tiffin said the chassis is built for it. The Jeep and RZR are looking forward to riding in a dry box.
In my opinion, I do not think you will have any problems so long as you do not attract attention by doing stupid stuff, if you know what I mean.

I see a lot of rigs at the track that ware a lot longer and have never heard of anyone being pulled over for over length.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #302

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Sounds like an awesome trailer/setup. Please be sure to post up some pictures of it.

Mike.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #303

Monaco Owners Club
I installed my new Snap-On toolbox in the trailer and got it all bolted down. I almost doubled the cubic inches of storage from my old one. This was one of the very few that I could find to fit in the space that I had available and have the lid clear the overhead cabinets.

I also installed a PitPal floor jack holder.

Mike.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Most people will tell you not to cover a car with a cover when trailing as the tarp/cover will vibrate on the paint and accualy wear the paint away.
Not while inside a trailer and the lining is soft.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #305
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Not while inside a trailer and the lining is soft.
I respect your opinion, but disagree.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #306

Vintage RV Owners Club
I agree a Tiffin can "take" or carry the tongue weight of a 15k trailer but the "pounding from the roads" is a different matter.
The damages I have seen to "really well-built" coaches saddens me. We just sent a Trailer Toad to a Prevost owner in TX. With his trailer hooked up the rear slide would go out but wouldn't retract. Unhook the trailer, no problem.
Just be aware it isn't the tongue weight sitting there it is the "impact" put on the ball and hitch, frame, coach from the deteriorating highway system we have to tow on.

While the Trailer Toad isn't some cheap bolt-on magic accessory, it is a extreme-duty piece of equipment that does a couple things really well; protect the investment you have in the coach by preventing damage caused by chassis or body flex and let's you enjoy the same ride in the coach you get with no trailer hooked up.

The DOT Exemption mentioned a few posts ago is valid. If you are non-commercial, even if you race for money, there is no guarantee you are going to be compensated at the race you are going to. At that point it is a hobby. If I was compensated to attend the race it is a different matter and could be seen as a commercial entity. I am removing the lettering from the trailer when the snow disappears and will put a bigger snap on sign on the trailer when I get to the races.

Be safe out there and if you want to find out more about the Trailer Toad go to our website and there are a couple videos there that show how it "turns" and works.

You are going to love that ATC, they make really nice trailers.

Jok
www.trailertoad.com
Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #307

Jok, I will be contacting you soon as I want to get a 3500 HD toad as I just added a golf cart into the equation.

Here is our junk for the picture part of the thread.....

768Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #308
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 768Q View Post
Jok, I will be contacting you soon as I want to get a 3500 HD toad as I just added a golf cart into the equation.

Here is our junk for the picture part of the thread.....

I would definitely not call that junk.