Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #323
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seeing that is a set-up to feature the TrailerToad (logo seen on the rear/top of the trailer), I would hope that the company checked to ensure they were within specs -but ya' never know.

Like a weight distributing hitch company towed a large trailer or boat behind a front wheel drive American fullsized car -with no rear wheels on the car- in a marketing campaign during the '70's...and there was no way that set-up was under the car's OEM GCWR.

Guess we all need to be smart and safe.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #324

Vintage RV Owners Club
The photo of our Coachman Cross Country is not a marketing gimmick, it is how we get two race cars, golf cart and several Trailer Toads to the race events.
This is actually a "middle of the road" set up. Hundreds of racers have much bigger trailers and both smaller and larger coaches pulling them.
The coach, if I remember right, weight on the scales to rated GCVW I think said we could tow 4300 lbs and not exceed the limits. In reality, that means you can't tow a pickup.

Hundreds and probably thousands of racers take off every weekend towing trailers that put them "over the manufacturer's limits", weight-wise. Is it the smartest thing to do? Probably not but if you prepare properly and drive accordingly I have never had a issue pertaining to total weight in probably 300,000 miles of towing enclosed car trailers with a motor home.

That said, you need to keep the weight off the coach structure, you must have the best trailer brakes and controllers available and keep everything maintained like your life depended on it, because, quite frankly, it does. No different than the guys with a 3/4 ton truck or a one ton truck in front of a huge 5th wheel camper. Probably overweight but it takes skill and planning to have safe trips.

I have seen guys who are not towing safely and all they have behind their coach is a GEO Tracker.

Our goal at Trailer Toad isn't to tell you what you should or shouldn't tow with your coach. It is about serving and helping the guys who want to tow big trailers behind their motor homes with a product that protects the coach, allows the ABS brakes to function correctly and make the trip smoother and safer overall.

By the way; the Coachman in the picture with our 28' stacker attached, towed like a dream, got over 8 mpg and took us from Florida, to New York to Texas to Oklahoma with no tire, suspension or coach problems whatsoever.

Be safe out there and if you want to tow "your toys" the next time you go on a trip; prepare, plan and enjoy yourself. If trailer Toad can be of any help, just give us a call.

Jok
Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #325
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well...there you go.

Thanks Jok, for the details - awesome set-up!

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #326

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
The photo of our Coachman Cross Country is not a marketing gimmick, it is how we get two race cars, golf cart and several Trailer Toads to the race events.
This is actually a "middle of the road" set up. Hundreds of racers have much bigger trailers and both smaller and larger coaches pulling them.
The coach, if I remember right, weight on the scales to rated GCVW I think said we could tow 4300 lbs and not exceed the limits. In reality, that means you can't tow a pickup.

Hundreds and probably thousands of racers take off every weekend towing trailers that put them "over the manufacturer's limits", weight-wise. Is it the smartest thing to do? Probably not but if you prepare properly and drive accordingly I have never had a issue pertaining to total weight in probably 300,000 miles of towing enclosed car trailers with a motor home.

That said, you need to keep the weight off the coach structure, you must have the best trailer brakes and controllers available and keep everything maintained like your life depended on it, because, quite frankly, it does. No different than the guys with a 3/4 ton truck or a one ton truck in front of a huge 5th wheel camper. Probably overweight but it takes skill and planning to have safe trips.

I have seen guys who are not towing safely and all they have behind their coach is a GEO Tracker.

Our goal at Trailer Toad isn't to tell you what you should or shouldn't tow with your coach. It is about serving and helping the guys who want to tow big trailers behind their motor homes with a product that protects the coach, allows the ABS brakes to function correctly and make the trip smoother and safer overall.

By the way; the Coachman in the picture with our 28' stacker attached, towed like a dream, got over 8 mpg and took us from Florida, to New York to Texas to Oklahoma with no tire, suspension or coach problems whatsoever.

Be safe out there and if you want to tow "your toys" the next time you go on a trip; prepare, plan and enjoy yourself. If trailer Toad can be of any help, just give us a call.

Jok
Thanks Jok for your reply ... but to answer the question about towing "overweight" with your RV, I would guess that your trailer weighs more than 4,300 pounds.

I like the idea/concept of the trailer toad and understand the positive mechanical aspects of using it *but* does using a trailer toad mean that you can pull a trailer that is OVER the towing capacity of your motorhome? I would think not, but you are certainly more the expert in answering this question.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:56 AM   #327

Newmar Owners Club
Great explanation, bad advertising with the fact you have exceeded the GCWR of the tow Vehicle , the simple fact that "everyone does it".........
When I drove truck, GCWR = 80,000#(73,280 before) , over that , $$$$$
Same with towing with a Small truck, RV, auto of any kind, no problem till the right law enforcement officer see you and has the ability to recognize the overloaded situation and he investagates.........
Now for the person that causes/involved in a accident and you are involved, not good for the person that is overloaded, my insurance company most likely would not pay if I was charged at fault/overweight in a accident, if they were to read the report.......we have problems with the law here in PA. from time to time about pickup trucks being overloaded(weight class sticker)
I do like the consept of the trailer toad very much though.
Just my thoughts on this ......
Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #328
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Great conversation, sure would like to get back to pictures of rigs and trailers.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Great conversation, sure would like to get back to pictures of rigs and trailers.
Here.....I got another with Cornerstone if it makes you feel better

This is the day I picked it up in GA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stacker2.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	55965  
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #330
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post

Yes

now we are back on track.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #331

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Wow! That is an awesome setup ... working towards having something similar someday.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #332

Quote:

That is REALLY nice

94 CC Affinity
Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #333

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Beautiful setup. The coach in the picture is a fairly new Cornerstone by Entegra, correct? I notice that you now have a 2014 King Aire, is there a reason you didn't have the Cornerstone very long? I am merely curious as I have heard nothing but good about the new Entegra coaches.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #334

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Beautiful setup. The coach in the picture is a fairly new Cornerstone by Entegra, correct? I notice that you now have a 2014 King Aire, is there a reason you didn't have the Cornerstone very long?

Mike.
I wondered about this also.........
I know the "King Aire" has this name for a reason.........
Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #335

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kinda on the smaller side...

My kid brother recently bought this enclosed unit from our good buddy "FIREUP" and it is perfectly suited to carry his new side by side and a dirt bike or two.

If any of you know Scott, it's in immaculate condition just like everything else he's owned. We can barely even feel we're towing it behind our coach and stops good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01856.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	56081   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140110_165915.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	56082  

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Beautiful setup. The coach in the picture is a fairly new Cornerstone by Entegra, correct? I notice that you now have a 2014 King Aire, is there a reason you didn't have the Cornerstone very long? I am merely curious as I have heard nothing but good about the new Entegra coaches.

Mike.
Had it almost 3 years. We spend about 10 months a year in a coach and wanted something different. Really liked the build process and getting exactly what we wanted. It's a REALLY NICE piece!
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote