Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #393

It's different for every trailer it all depends on what you get done. My trailer was all black and I just did a wrap not paint. That way if you change motorhomes you peel the wrap off and redo. It cost me 4500.00 to do it
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #394

Vintage RV Owners Club
Glen,
We race as much as we can. Usually the big dollar bracket races in the Central states and upper Midwest in the Summer. In the Spring we try to get to some Kentucky or Oklahoma races. The Winter Series starts with The Million in Montgomery in late October, then to the 5-day event at South Georgia Motorsports Park, 5-Day the next weekend at Immokolee in Florida, to West Palm's Moroso 5-Day then the Immokolee race ends and then to the Bradenton race the last week of November. If the Winter Series swing gets completed without trashing anything major (like an engine) it is 20 races on 28 days. If we have a good year in 2014 the cars will get about 700 runs on them.

After 5 days at a track with no hookups a Wal-Mart seems like Heaven and I have yet to find a store manager who won't let us fill with water at the Garden Center as long as we do it at night.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #395
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
Glen,

After 5 days at a track with no hookups a Wal-Mart seems like Heaven and I have yet to find a store manager who won't let us fill with water at the Garden Center as long as we do it at night.
This is a good tip, we will be heading to the Gatornationals out of the frigid north here shortly and will want to put water in the tanks when we get to warmer weather.

Would like to meet up and talk about how the toad works.

Will you be at the Hot Rod Reunion in Kentucky?
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #396

Vintage RV Owners Club
We are considering it as one of the few places we will display the Trailer Toads. How many race cars were there last time you attended? If you have been there before that is??
Jok
Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #397
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
We are considering it as one of the few places we will display the Trailer Toads. How many race cars were there last time you attended? If you have been there before that is??
Jok
This will be my first time. What I know for sure is it will be HOT.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #398

Thumbs up MOTOR HOME and TRAILER LENGTH

I have been reading the posts, an I was concerned about total lengths. I have a 37' MH, 28' enclosed plus the trailer toad. I see that most roads have restrictions of 65'. Is anybody being bothered by police. Thanks
Pops90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #399
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops90gt View Post
I have been reading the posts, an I was concerned about total lengths. I have a 37' MH, 28' enclosed plus the trailer toad. I see that most roads have restrictions of 65'. Is anybody being bothered by police. Thanks
This topic comes up over and over.

If they want to give you a ticket they can, if you are in a accident or draw attention to yourself (doing stupid stuff) they will cite you. A lawyer (bottom feeder) looking for an edge in a liability suit will use it.

There are lots of people out there over 70 feet that have never had a problem (except with California).

At the track just about every RV pulling a race car are over length.

We have one guy that shows up every weekend, that crosses the board (Canada / USA) for years and has never been stopped.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #400

Pops,

Most likely overlength would be a secondary offense if you are stopped for some other infraction. If a observant LEO thinks you might be a bit long after stopping you for someting else he may get his tape measure out and check your length. Its possible but very unlikely you will get stopped just for length.

FYI in my State/Washington legal is 75'.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #401

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never had any issues with getting stopped while towing my trailer behind the coach! My coach's overall length is 42ft. and my Trailer with tongue is 28ft. so, 70ft. might be on the fringe of most length laws but again. I agree with other posters..... Keep plates up to date, be sure all lights are functioning properly, obey the laws (I try not to be too excessive when it comes to my speed. lol) and I think they will leave us alone!
I can't imaging traveling without the tools and toys I need to enjoy my travels.
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #402

Craig,

You are deluding yourself saying you are on the fringe of illegal. You at 70' are clearly illegal in most states just like many others. That being the case in the real everyday world we live in it quite likely doesn't really matter (-: If your amount of illegal overlength was being enforced aggressively nation wide we would surely be hearing about it here and on other RV Forums and we aren't.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #403

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't think even the DOT wants any part of a retired attorney who is finally getting to take his wife's and his "dreamed about travels" and then they get stopped, fined and maybe taken out of service for being 5-foot overlength of some statute written 30 years ago.
That could get ugly.
I am sure of one thing, if they ever truly enforce a 65' law, drag racing, stock car racing, rodeos, tournament fishing etc, etc will all diminish and the economic impact of that would be incredible.

I am going with about 72' this year, guess it will be a test as I have the Trailer Toad logo on the trailer.

Jok
Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #404

Jok,

If you get stopped and I sure hope you don't would the logo on the trailer and the length issue be two separate legal issues? I see a lot of race car trailers heading to Mission Raceways not far from here and virtually all of them have nothing written on the outside of them. There must be a reason.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #405

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Jok,

If you get stopped and I sure hope you don't would the logo on the trailer and the length issue be two separate legal issues? I see a lot of race car trailers heading to Mission Raceways not far from here and virtually all of them have nothing written on the outside of them. There must be a reason.
It could potentially be treated as two seperate but I would say they would more than likely treat one offense as an extension of the other. I say potentially because a few years back in Utah they were starting to make those rigs with company names on the trailers pull through weigh stations and treated them as commercial vehicles even though they were towed by personally owned RV's, not business owned RV's.

We had our shop name on the side of our trailer and were racing at the time as well as using our trailer for hauling the toys to the sand dunes. We shot past the port of entry going into Idaho (with our fingers crossed of course) but a good friend of mine was only hours behind us and got snagged at the same port of entry. He wasn't fined or ticketed, only told that he should consider himself warned.

We had already ordered our new trailer at this time and that is when my wife and I decided not to advertise of have any lettering put on the new trailer.

Granted this was around 2008 and I have not heard much since then but still the same mindset, not putting my name on the trailer. It is just a large bar of soap being towed behind the coach.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #406

The reason I asked was some time back it came up in a conversation and a couple of guys that seemed to be up on the rules at least here in Washington said any advertising on a trailer was considered a commercial venture and had to be licensed as a commercial vehicle as well as the TV. Seeing all of those plain white car trailers go going up and down I-5 to Mission Raceways got me thinking they must have been right.