Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #29

I couldn't leave my Corvette behind!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0623121131a.jpg
Views:	2116
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	49009 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Scarlet Picture.jpg
Views:	2143
Size:	662.3 KB
ID:	49010
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's how we travel ...

'05 National RV Sea Breeze 1311 and a Premier Flatbed Trailer. In total I think we're about 53' long.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club

Name:	1234076_643588225674222_504579823_n.jpg
Views:	1687
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	49015

Name:	1012497_648402851859426_1859814857_n.jpg
Views:	1653
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	49016

It's not that long or very heavy, but it's a mobile amusement park ride.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
ocs

Currently in the process of buying enclosed car trailer. Need to haul buick enclave,and harley ultra. Will be towing with 2004 Monaco Diplomat cummins 330hp. Was planning 24' v nose now thinking 26' v nose allowing a little extra room. My question is do any of you have a hard time finding campgrounds that fit your coach and trailers?
ocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #33
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OShank View Post
Currently in the process of buying enclosed car trailer. Need to haul buick enclave,and harley ultra. Will be towing with 2004 Monaco Diplomat cummins 330hp. Was planning 24' v nose now thinking 26' v nose allowing a little extra room. My question is do any of you have a hard time finding campgrounds that fit your coach and trailers?
I have done some research on this.

Some answers are most not all, camp sites quote the size for the camper and you are allow one other vehicle (trailer with car inside). One option is to set up the vehicle that is inside the trailer to be able to tow the trailer.

When you get to your desination unload the drive around vehicle, hook it to the trailer and put the trailer in a parking lot and take you drive around to your camp site with the MH.

This is all third party information (fourth party to you). I don't know if any of it works.

Currently the only trailer that I tow is with the dragster in it, and only go to race tracks.

Plans are in the works to buy another (will be my third trailer at the moment) and tow a vintage CJ7 Jeep in it for a drive around.

it will have to be special ordered as I need extra height, I'm thinking of a Haulmark Edge 20 to 24 feet in length
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #34

Here is our rig. We have a '05 Winnebago Adventurer 35A and pull a Aluma 7712HD aluminum tilt bed trailer. Works great with the SMART car and weighs around 2400#'s total trailer and car. We also use the trailer to haul a RZR ATV. No ramps required.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SMART 1.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	49031   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMART 2.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	49032  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #35

Quote:
We always find pull throughs, no problem. I also thought of putting a hitch on the car so I could move the trailer and stay in state & nat'l parks. I saw on Extreme RVs a man built his trailer so he could move it around by remote control.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
In all of our travels, there has only been one time at a campground where we had to disconnect before pulling into our spot A day of travel …and backing up! | Our RV Journey

Although, now that I think of it, we did have to disconnect one other time when we camped at Richmond International Speedway for the last "race to the Chase" two years ago - but I did know this ahead of time and had bought passes for two campsites (side by side). The bigger problem we had in Richmond that weekend was the mud, and getting the RV stuck in it - although we were only about 1 of 30 RV's stuck in the mud that year.

But - back on topic - we've been able to find either pull through, or back in spots for ALL of our other travels to campgrounds, NASCAR races, even visits/camping at friends/family residences - that have been long enough to allow us to stay connected.

We're about 53' nose to tail when we have the trailer, and there are very few times when we don't travel pulling our car trailer.

and .. if we do need to disconnect, it's not a problem as we have an appropriately sized hitch and ball mounted on our VW Tiguan (that rides on the trailer) to move the car trailer anywhere we may have to move it. I did a lot of research on the right trailer to tow behind the motorhome AND be able to tow behind the VW. We do use the trailer quite a bit - towing behind the VW - when we need to makes trips to the dump, the home improvement store, etc. I *really* wanted to go with an enclosed trailer, but we don't have that kind of towing capacity with our gasser (once our VW goes in it) and we're also limited to 2,200 lbs of towing capacity behind the VW. The flatbed trailer we ended up with fits usage by both vehicles very well.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #37
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Borrowed a trailer and getting ready for some fun in the sun (it's cold here now 30's again tonight)

I went and bought a 8 inch drop hitch, the 6 inch had the deck at too much of an angle, and I think I'm going to turn the jeep around on the trailer (engine is the heaviest part so I will put it to the rear).

The tire minder came today so I will put that on

The house will be house sat by my son, who is going to do some rust repair on my other son's new to him pickup.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure you want to turn the Jeep around. You'll lose most of the tongue weight, which will cause the trailer to sway something terrible. It looks pretty good from the pictures. If you could weigh the tongue of the trailer, you could determine where to move the Jeep slightly forward or backward. I think the tongue weight should be about 10 per cent of the total trailer weight, which looking at your setup should be about 500 lbs on the tongue. Others with far more details will chime in. I prefer slightly more tongue weight.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #39

Hers what we pull
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4259305844.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	49405  
brandonklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #40
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
Not sure you want to turn the Jeep around. You'll lose most of the tongue weight, which will cause the trailer to sway something terrible. It looks pretty good from the pictures. If you could weigh the tongue of the trailer, you could determine where to move the Jeep slightly forward or backward. I think the tongue weight should be about 10 per cent of the total trailer weight, which looking at your setup should be about 500 lbs on the tongue. Others with far more details will chime in. I prefer slightly more tongue weight.
If you look at the placement of the axles on the trailer they are quite far back. If I turn the Jeep around most of the engine, transfer case and transmission will be over the axles and 70% of the Jeep will be forward of the center line of the axles. If it sways I will turn it around again. I do have experience pulling trailers and know that you want tounge weight, the problem is with the 8 inch drop hitch the capacity of the hitch fall way off, normally I use solid forged receivers, rated for 16,000 pounds, this drop receiver is only rated for 5,000

Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hadn't notice the rearward axles. Good looking setup!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Pulling this picture up already makes me itching for next spring!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5270.JPG
Views:	1017
Size:	701.4 KB
ID:	49411