Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #477

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
check out the guys in ga

cracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #478

We recently traded in our old gasser for a new to us Mandalay 43C (measured length 44.5 feet) and I wanted to bring my golf cart with us when we start fulltiming in June, but being concerned for overall length pulling a trailer to carry the golf cart and our Saturn Vue I started to look into the Hydralift for the back of the MH to carry the cart and just pull the car flat as we usually do but after finding this thread I think the wife would be happy to see me save money (for once) and go ahead and get a trailer.

I am looking into a 28' 10k# trailer but the hitch on the MH calls for weight distribution for a 10k# trailer 1k# tongue weight. Since I was going to be fine hanging 1500# off the back of the MH with a Hydra lift and the golf cart seems to me I should be fine with 1000# tongue weight on the ball without a weight distribution receiver. If this is a rating for the hitch itself? can I get a heavier rated hitch or just get a weight distribution receiver and stop over thinking this.

Now that you may have had your trailers for a while is there anything you would do different if you had one built or what options did you get that were worth every penny (extended tongue, higher ceiling, escape door for getting in and out of your car easier)?

Thanks for any and all help.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	538842-41-large.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	60174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208A.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	60177  

Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #479
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracy View Post
check out the guys in ga
Be careful of trailers built in Ga. they are inexpensive for a reason, remember if it sounds to good to be true (price) it probably is.

Pace, Hallmark, Vintage, Continental Cargo, United are all good brand name (some may not be in business any more?) trailers with dealers nation wide. I currently own three trailers (Continental Cargo, United, and Vintage)

They all have different levels of finish (Continental Cargo (automaster top line) and Vintage (outlaw top line).

You need to do your research, then post your selection and if there is a problem I'm sure people will post their ideas.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #480
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
We recently traded in our old gasser for a new to us Mandalay 43C (measured length 44.5 feet) and I wanted to bring my golf cart with us when we start fulltiming in June, but being concerned for overall length pulling a trailer to carry the golf cart and our Saturn Vue I started to look into the Hydralift for the back of the MH to carry the cart and just pull the car flat as we usually do but after finding this thread I think the wife would be happy to see me save money (for once) and go ahead and get a trailer.

I am looking into a 28' 10k# trailer but the hitch on the MH calls for weight distribution for a 10k# trailer 1k# tongue weight. Since I was going to be fine hanging 1500# off the back of the MH with a Hydra lift and the golf cart seems to me I should be fine with 1000# tongue weight on the ball without a weight distribution receiver. If this is a rating for the hitch itself? can I get a heavier rated hitch or just get a weight distribution receiver and stop over thinking this.

Now that you may have had your trailers for a while is there anything you would do different if you had one built or what options did you get that were worth every penny (extended tongue, higher ceiling, escape door for getting in and out of your car easier)?

Thanks for any and all help.

Rob
Options I would recommend would be ceiling braced and wired for a/c (very expensive to retro fit)

10,000 pound

Extended tongue

up grade tires and wheels

Finished inside with cabinets

16 inch on center everthing
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #481

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
We recently traded in our old gasser for a new to us Mandalay 43C (measured length 44.5 feet) and I wanted to bring my golf cart with us when we start fulltiming in June

Rob
Have you considered trading the Saturn for a 1/2 ton pickup? When we were coming home from Phoenix last Nov, we maust have met 50 large high end MH's flat towing a 1/2 ton pickup with a golfcart in the bed. They were all headed to the Nascar race in Phoenix. Nearly all of them were towing new Chevy 1500's.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #482

That's what we are doing tow a half ton crew cab and put the golf cart in the bed
Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Options I would recommend would be ceiling braced and wired for a/c (very expensive to retro fit)

10,000 pound

Extended tongue

One more is spread axles.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #484
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Good for towing stability and weight distribution, but the side effect is you scrub the tires when turning and the wear quicker.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #485

These scrub a little...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eliminator.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	60322  
Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #486
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
These scrub a little...
That is amazing. How many tires do you blow. I had a tri axle and I seem to loose a lot of tires on it compared to two (not hitting anything).

We need a picture of that both in the water doing it's thing and behind the MH.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #487

Quote:
That is amazing. How many tires do you blow. I had a tri axle and I seem to loose a lot of tires on it compared to two (not hitting anything).

We need a picture of that both in the water doing it's thing and behind the MH.
I pulled it with this toter till it was sold and now with a GMC pickup. No pics of it on the water on this computer. 97 MPH w/34 pitch and 105 w/36's.
I carry two spares and can change in 15mins with the help of three 4x4's angle cut at each end used under the inflated tires on the problem side. Pressure Pro is a MUST!
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #488

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

10,000 pound

Extended tongue

I agree. I actually had the dual 7k pound axles added when I ordered our 2008 Haulmark Edge and glad I did as I am right at around 13k with the Harley, Jeep and all my tools loaded.

I also had some extra height added. I agree with having it wired for air conditioning, much cheaper when they are building it even if you don't end up putting one on for a few years.

I had the escape door (left side middle) on my last two trailers and didn't care for them like some people do. I did not get one on my new Haulmark Edge but rather installed a winch in the bottom of the front cabinet to pull a vehicle in if needed. So far with my Jeep I can squeeze out once pulled in but it is tight.

I can have my Jeep loaded and strapped down in about 10 minutes, not to bad of a deal but not as quick or convenient as flat towing.

I too would recommend getting the inside finished. My last two I finished myself and liked them much more than the plain jane plywood. This trailer I opted for the "race package" which consisted of white aluminum interior, L-shaped front cabinet/workbench and fluorescent lighting.

The extended tongue is a must with an RV as I have witnessed the ill-fated effects of a fellow RVer turning into his campsite and hitting a small dip.

The 16" centered construction is so much more stable and solid feeling than my last two which had 24" walls and 20" floor crossmembers.

I also had a couple of 500-watt halogen exterior lights added to the side for those late night wrenching duties but now that we don't race any longer I have found that they still come in handy at times.

I am not a fan of having the spare tire(s) mounted under the floor like many manufacturers have them. My last two were that way and I had to access my spare once and had to unload most of my sand toys on the side of the road to gain access. What a pain in the ass. On my current trailer I opted for no spare and once I received the trailer I fabricated a mounting bracket to place it on the front and purchased a nice looking "continental kit" for it. It looks great and doesn't detract from the trailer at all.

Quote:
I almost went with the spread axle design in 2008 when I ordered our Edge but I was already at the high side of my budget.

I like the spreading of the load and really like the looks of them, however, I am not fond of the extra wear on the tires due to scrubbing in turns and the extra side load placed on the wheels, bearings and spindles. I am sure it is negligible but couldn't afford it anyway.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #489

Vintage RV Owners Club
Instead of triple axles I would recommend 2-7000-lb axles with 17.5 tires. Less tires to replace, the 17.5 is the absolute Cadillac for trailer tires and you won't end up fighting the Chinese-made 16" trailer radials.
Just an idea but that is what we have decided on for our 24' stacker.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #490

Noticed you put your Fiat 500 in your trailer. How long is your trailer and how do you secure it? Once you get it in the trailer do you climb out the back or through a window? We too have a Fiat 500 and are wondering the best way to bring it along. Thinking of enclosed trailer but come up with these questions! Thank you so much for any help you can give!!
Kathee and Garry