Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Terry, it is a Middlebury Trailer, 28' inside + 2' extended tongue
This is the dealer that I bought it from Touch of Class Trailers

Thank you. I'm giving the trailer a lot of thought.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #534
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
73' but I think the height throws the DOT guys off. No problems and never stopped.
Got stopped this summer and "warned" I was over length with my new (read older) coach that is only 67' total. I got an Iowa "Oversize Permit" and one for Florida as well. Cheap and might prevent a $300 ticket.

Put a photo in of one of my customers who hauls his Offy-powered Bonneville Salt Flats car in his stacker along with a 56 Chevy wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
It is interesting when the trailer makes the coach look small
Quote:
I would sure like to see the specs. on this chassis........the GCWR has to be in a gross excess.........

This is for the new Coachman DP's , 2-4k towing ability...... Specifications - Sports Coach Cross Country RD - Coachmen RV
(Again, based on scaled weight)

I have been thinking of purchasing a Trailer Toad.

I just went through this whole thread and only found three people that seem to be using the Trailer Toad (Zman62, Trailertoad1, and Palehorse89)

I have talked with Gillig (the chassis my MH is on) and they have assured me that the chassis is "Plenty robust" to handle the trailer.

I just do not like the idea of the Cummins and the trailer hanging off the rear of the chassis.

I have two concerns, one is the ability to back up in tight spaces, currently I dead hook the trailer have a RV tougne on the trailer and can get almost 90 degrees to the trailer when backing up, this is needed when stopping at truck stops, and the other is swells / dips.

I would very much like to hear from customers of the Trailer Toad.

Internets searches come up clean on the the trailer toad

Trailer Towing

The Trailer Toad - Extreme Towing - RV Magazine

I have an American Dream MH (DP) with a 28 foot enclosed trailer.

Trailer is rated at 12,000 pound, but registered for 10,000, trailer weighs 4950 and is used to haul a 200" front engine dragster which weighs 1,500, I also have a Honda three wheeler used to pull the FED around tools and stuff in the trailer. I do not know the weight but am sure it is below 10,000 pounds.

Tongue is heavy, again I do not know the weight but suspect it around 1,000 pounds. I used to tow it with a 1 ton pickup (Ford F350) and it is into the second stage springs without the weight distribution hitch. The distribution hitch is a Reese with full steel receiver head and with the cam lock anti sway

I have towed it behind the motor home with no weight distribution.

So....

I was thinking 3500HD but by the time you add the larger wheels, Stabilizer Bar (but not sure I can use it as the MH has the lower pan under the receiver, it would make sense to go to the 5000SD.

Would I be able to use the Reese receiver head with the torsion bars and the cam lock anti sway? The trailer is equipped with the "RV" tongue.

I have watched the u-tube on backing and corners, but they are too close to give any prospective on what the dolly is actually doing.

trailer Toad/motor home backing up heavy trailer - YouTube

Trailer Toad towing around a corner - YouTube

Thoughts guys

Old 05-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #535

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation No Trailer toad......

Quote:
I have been thinking of purchasing a Trailer Toad.

I just went through this whole thread and only found three people that seem to be using the Trailer Toad (Zman62, Trailertoad1, and Palehorse89)

I have talked with Gillig (the chassis my MH is on) and they have assured me that the chassis is "Plenty robust" to handle the trailer.

I just do not like the idea of the Cummins and the trailer hanging off the rear of the chassis.

I have two concerns, one is the ability to back up in tight spaces, currently I dead hook the trailer have a RV tougne on the trailer and can get almost 90 degrees to the trailer when backing up, this is needed when stopping at truck stops, and the other is swells / dips.

I would very much like to hear from customers of the Trailer Toad.

Internets searches come up clean on the the trailer toad

Trailer Towing

The Trailer Toad - Extreme Towing - RV Magazine

I have an American Dream MH (DP) with a 28 foot enclosed trailer.

Trailer is rated at 12,000 pound, but registered for 10,000, trailer weighs 4950 and is used to haul a 200" front engine dragster which weighs 1,500, I also have a Honda three wheeler used to pull the FED around tools and stuff in the trailer. I do not know the weight but am sure it is below 10,000 pounds.

Tongue is heavy, again I do not know the weight but suspect it around 1,000 pounds. I used to tow it with a 1 ton pickup (Ford F350) and it is into the second stage springs without the weight distribution hitch. The distribution hitch is a Reese with full steel receiver head and with the cam lock anti sway

I have towed it behind the motor home with no weight distribution.

So....

I was thinking 3500HD but by the time you add the larger wheels, Stabilizer Bar (but not sure I can use it as the MH has the lower pan under the receiver, it would make sense to go to the 5000SD.

Would I be able to use the Reese receiver head with the torsion bars and the cam lock anti sway? The trailer is equipped with the "RV" tongue.

I have watched the u-tube on backing and corners, but they are too close to give any prospective on what the dolly is actually doing.

trailer Toad/motor home backing up heavy trailer - YouTube

Trailer Toad towing around a corner - YouTube

Thoughts guys
Hi Glenn, I am not using a "Trailer toad".......loaded, I have 1,000# of tongue weight, just loaded her up and took her for a ride today......Everything was wonderful. I am within all the chassis and trailer specs. No weight distribution hitch, no need for one, as I don't need anymore weight on my front axle. The Coach rides a lot different, a good different, rides better than without the trailer!
What is the GCWR & GVWR of you Coach? And have you weighed your Coach, loaded and ready to roll?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04496.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	526.1 KB
ID:	63746  
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #536
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Glenn, I am not using a "Trailer toad".......loaded, I have 1,000# of tongue weight, just loaded her up and took her for a ride today......Everything was wonderful. I am within all the chassis and trailer specs. No weight distribution hitch, no need for one, as I don't need anymore weight on my front axle. The Coach rides a lot different, a good different, rides better than without the trailer!
What is the GCWR & GVWR of you Coach? And have you weighed your Coach, loaded and ready to roll?
All my paper work is in the coach and the coach is 60 miles away at a Cummins shop having the oil pressure fluctuations looked at, first impressions by the head tech is that it is the sending unit. The coach has 6,000 pounds of carrying capacity.

Great illustration on how to get the weight on the ball, just have never gotten around to it.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #537

Newmar Owners Club
I was a little hesatant to use the DW's digital glass bath scales, used some plywood to cover the top of them and it worked great. How much does your new trailer weigh in at empty?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #538
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I was a little hesatant to use the DW's digital glass bath scales, used some plywood to cover the top of them and it worked great. How much does your new trailer weigh in at empty?
Weight is not on the registration, I'll have to get it off the data plate, it is stored off site.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #539
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
The new trailer weighs 4395.

I have just agree to purchase a Trailer Toad. I will pick it up a week from today.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #540

Newmar Owners Club
Arrow 6,000 # of towing capacity?

Quote:

I have just agree to purchase a Trailer Toad. I will pick it up a week from today.
You only have a GCWR of 1605# left over, trailer toad or not.......tongue weight is not going to be your problem,,,,,total "gross" weight is........for your Coach. If wanting to stay within specs.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #541

Quote:
You only have a GCWR of 1605# left over, trailer toad or not.......tongue weight is not going to be your problem,,,,,total "gross" weight is........for your Coach. If wanting to stay within specs.
Glenn posted that he has 6k of carrying capacity, which (to me) means headroom in the GVWR. Thats on top of the GCWR allowance of 5k or 10k depending on the motorhome. Doesnt seem outside the possibilities for some of the DPs I previously looked at.

That said, I dont think youll go wrong with a TrailerToad purchase. It is (IMO) cheap insurance. There is a lot of weight hanging of the back of a DP, and tongue weight added to that, plus impact stresses, porpoising, etc, well, I can think of lots of plusses and not a lot of drawbacks.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #542

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Manufactures weight rating.......

Quote:
All my paper work is in the coach and the coach is 60 miles away at a Cummins shop having the oil pressure fluctuations looked at, first impressions by the head tech is that it is the sending unit. The coach has 6,000 pounds of carrying capacity.

Great illustration on how to get the weight on the ball, just have never gotten around to it.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
Glenn posted that he has 6k of carrying capacity, which (to me) means headroom in the GVWR. Thats on top of the GCWR allowance of 5k or 10k depending on the motorhome. Doesnt seem outside the possibilities for some of the DPs I previously looked at.

That said, I dont think youll go wrong with a TrailerToad purchase. It is (IMO) cheap insurance. There is a lot of weight hanging of the back of a DP, and tongue weight added to that, plus impact stresses, porpoising, etc, well, I can think of lots of plusses and not a lot of drawbacks.
4,395 # minus the 6,000# capacity = what you can haul inside the trailer......period.
I just went through this process....., The trailer toad, just takes the tongue weight off the Coach, That's it.
The GWVR and the GCWR still stay the same..........and now..... don't forget to add the weight of the "Trailer toad" to your GCWR.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #543

No its not. Only if youre already at the gross vehicle weight.

The way I read what Glenn posted, he has 6k of headroom in his vehicle weight, plus whatever the combined weight is.

i.e. if he has 6k of headroom in the vehicle weight and 10k in the combined weight, he really has 16k of headroom if that makes sense. Granted, you cant actually use all of that, but I digress...

IIRC, Glenns RV is on a Gillig chassis, which has 10k of towing capacity. Again, I could be wrong, but Id never admit that to my wife.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #544

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

The way I read what Glenn posted, he has 6k of headroom in his vehicle weight, plus whatever the combined weight is.

i.e. if he has 6k of headroom in the vehicle weight and 10k in the combined weight, he really has 16k of headroom if that makes sense. Granted, you cant actually use all of that, but I digress...

IIRC, Glenns RV is on a Gillig chassis, which has 10k of towing capacity. Again, I could be wrong, but Id never admit that to my wife.
ok........
Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #545

Only reason I went with a trailer toad was my extreme tongue weight. If I were running 1k in tongue weight I dont see the need for a toad. I found it made a huge difference in towing for me. I have around 2500 pounds of tongue weight and I just didnt feel comfortable with that bouncing around back there. My trailer tows like a dream at 21k in weight.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #546
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Correct.