Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #659
Member
 
FFaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitz372 View Post
Attachment 74878

40' country coach with a guest bedroom
Haha, love it
__________________

__________________
FFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #660
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 9,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
The upgrade is not the hard part, getting a new certification on the chassis ratings is....
Unless Freightliner did the upgrade the change would likely invalidate the warranty???
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #661
Senior Member
 
zmotorsports's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitz372 View Post
Attachment 74878

40' country coach with a guest bedroom
I have seen a few setups like that going down the road. I would make the mother in law pull her own damn trailer.

Mike.
__________________
Mike & Chrystal/ 2011 Jeep JKUR
Link to our 2003 Monaco Baroness Projects/Mods thread here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mods-upgrades-to-our-2003-dynasty-237276.html
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #662
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Unless Freightliner did the upgrade the change would likely invalidate the warranty???
I have a Gillig chassis under my American Dream.

Fleetwood put a 5,000 pound hitch under it.

Gillig sells a bolt on 10,000 pound hitch for this chassis.

Even if I order the hitch through Fleetwood, they will not recertify the Motor Home for a 10,000 pound hitch.
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #663
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 9,159
I dont think Fleetwood can certify the chassis for anything. IMO if Gillig sold you the 10,000 hitch (I would send in the order with your chassis VIN to order it) and you had the hitch installed by a qualified installer then the chassis warranty could still be valid. I would verify that with Gillig.

I know on our Tour I asked about a beefier hitch. Winnebago would have nothing to do with it, said it was a Freighliner issue (according to my salesman). At that time I as looking at a HaulMark trailer with curb weight of 12,000. Got the same size InTech and it weighs 6350.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #664
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I dont think Fleetwood can certify the chassis for anything. IMO if Gillig sold you the 10,000 hitch (I would send in the order with your chassis VIN to order it) and you had the hitch installed by a qualified installer then the chassis warranty could still be valid. I would verify that with Gillig.

I know on our Tour I asked about a beefier hitch. Winnebago would have nothing to do with it, said it was a Freighliner issue (according to my salesman). At that time I as looking at a HaulMark trailer with curb weight of 12,000. Got the same size InTech and it weighs 6350.
I talked with Gillig, they were happy to sell the hitch, even were willing to send the drawings for the hitch, which they did.

They referred me to Fleetwood for the paperwork.

Fleetwood would do nothing as they stated the coach was built by the company (Fleetwood) that went backrub and they as the new owners would not do anything with the prior company products.
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #665
Senior Member
 
RVingDutchman's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: B.C.
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I purchased a 5000 trailer toad because the tongue weight on my trailer for the dragster was very heavy with all the tools, pullies, generator etc all sitting in the nose of the trailer.
I have found that if I move all but the generator to the belly of the bus the tongue weight is manageable, actually pulls very nice.
I will sell the trailer Toad at a very nice price, make me an offer
If I cannot sell it I guess I will just use it, it just makes the setup longer and I'm at 72 feet now without it.
Hi Glenn,
I have been reading this tread in the last few days and take it you did buy the new Trailer Toad, have you not had a chance to test drive this unit or maybe only only the small one? why are they not just taking it back? If you are not happy with it or does not full fill your expectations do they not back up this product? what is Jok saying here? you should not be stuck with this thing without having used it! What do you say?

Regards,
Ed
__________________
2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
RVingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #666
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I talked with Gillig, they were happy to sell the hitch, even were willing to send the drawings for the hitch, which they did.

They referred me to Fleetwood for the paperwork.

Fleetwood would do nothing as they stated the coach was built by the company (Fleetwood) that went backrub and they as the new owners would not do anything with the prior company products.
When I wrote this reply I was away in Milan racing. I did not have the drawings on my portable. I'm home now and thought I would post the drawings.

They are posted at the bottom of this post as a PDF file.

Note. The plans came from Gillig, but Fleetwoods name is on some of the drawnings, and they would not recertify the Motor Home for a 10,000 hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post
Hi Glenn,
I have been reading this tread in the last few days and take it you did buy the new Trailer Toad, have you not had a chance to test drive this unit or maybe only only the small one? why are they not just taking it back? If you are not happy with it or does not full fill your expectations do they not back up this product? what is Jok saying here? you should not be stuck with this thing without having used it! What do you say?

Regards,
Ed
I never asked him to take it back. There was nothing wrong with the unit, in fact it is well thought out and well built. The only problem was the torsion bars I had were not "Captured" and they should be.

It was my mistake to purchase the unit, so I was willing to accept that responsibility.

I never had it on the street.

Jok was very supportive.

He listed it on his site and someone bought it in the first week.

I had several people interested. I lost $500.00 on the deal.
.
.
.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10k hitch 1.pdf (506.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf 10k hitch 2.pdf (385.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf 40-33891.pdf (26.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: pdf 40-33892.pdf (26.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf 59-35943.pdf (43.4 KB, 30 views)
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #667
Senior Member
 
RVingDutchman's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: B.C.
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I never asked him to take it back. There was nothing wrong with the unit, in fact it is well thought out and well built. The only problem was the torsion bars I had were not "Captured" and they should be.
It was my mistake to purchase the unit, so I was willing to accept that responsibility.
I never had it on the street.
Jok was very supportive.
He listed it on his site and someone bought it in the first week.
I had several people interested. I lost $500.00 on the deal.
.
.
.
Sorry to hear it did not work for you and that you did lose some money on it, It could have been worse I guess.
Do you think that the smaller one (3500 Trailer toad) would be a solution if a person only had a light vehicle (car) to move a trailer your size around for parking etc. (car is 3000 lb and 265 HP).

Regards,

Ed
__________________
2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
RVingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #668
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post
Sorry to hear it did not work for you and that you did lose some money on it, It could have been worse I guess.
Do you think that the smaller one (3500 Trailer toad) would be a solution if a person only had a light vehicle (car) to move a trailer your size around for parking etc. (car is 3000 lb and 265 HP).

Regards,

Ed
Are you thinking about using the car in the trailer to move the trailer when you get to a location?

Would you have it on the motor home and then hook up to it with the car?

The car would never take the trailer on the road, just in a parking lot?

You would need a receiver hitch on the car.

The Toad carries all the weight, the car would carry none.

Too many unknowns to comment.
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #669
Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 70
Glenn,
You are stand up guy. I wish the Toad would have fit your setup and you would have got the chance to use it and see the advantages but sometimes, was we all know, plans change. Glad we found a buyer so quickly.
As for using the Toad to move a trailer around with a car... You could do that but why not use the motor home if that is what you are towing with?

I might not understand the question but if the Toad is set up to work with the coach you might have to make a few changes to get it into the receiver on the car unless they are close to the same height.

A lot of talk lately about getting hitches "registered or certified" to a certain weight. I am not sure why that is a concern because if you look around most of the decals with limits of the hitches are missing, either from weather or a razor blade. With the Trailer Toad you can and hundreds of people are, safely towing trailers that exceed their coach's rated maximum weights. I cannot condone it but I can tell you if you maintain your coach, the hitch, trailers, use a Trailer Toad and drive accordingly, I just can't see an issue. I am towing a 12,000 lb trailer with my old (sometimes trusty) Hawkins pusher on an Oshkosh chassis. I am about 7000 lbs over the rated weight. Handles like a dream, with new trailer brakes I think it now stops better with the trailer than without. Coach is balanced and we are probably going to go 12,000 miles this winter.

Any questions on Trailer Toads can be directed to me directly via text, phone or email. Be glad to answer any questions or go over your situation one on one.

Thanks to IRV2, there are some great discussions on these forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2434.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	75522  
__________________
Jok Nicholson
1995 34' Hawkins Motor Coach.
TrailerToad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #670
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 13
Hi everyone. New to the forum, thought I would post to show our 99 Southwind we got a hold of a little over a year ago.

This is our Summer set up w/ 21' Team Hawaiian


Our winter set up is your standard 20' box trailer for our sand/dirt toys
__________________
southwind99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #671
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwind99 View Post
Hi everyone. New to the forum, thought I would post to show our 99 Southwind we got a hold of a little over a year ago.

This is our Summer set up w/ 21' Team Hawaiian


Our winter set up is your standard 20' box trailer for our sand/dirt toys
Very Nice.
__________________
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #672
Senior Member
 
rbpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 249
new to me 07 Haulmark stacker,

__________________

__________________
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.