Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #673
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
new to me 07 Haulmark stacker,

Tounge weight looks a little heavy on the truck, will you tow it behind the Motor Home?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #674

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All of the above ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Are you thinking about using the car in the trailer to move the trailer when you get to a location?
Would you have it on the motor home and then hook up to it with the car?
The car would never take the trailer on the road, just in a parking lot?
You would need a receiver hitch on the car.
The Toad carries all the weight, the car would carry none.
Yes Sir all of the above!

Our Venza is setup for towing a 3500lb trailer with elec. brakes, but I would only use it if I could not move it around with the coach. And only if the terrain is level enough as not to get overwhelmed on a slope!

All of this is just a thought, we are debating if we should sell our 2011 Venza, DW loves it and we've already decided to get a closed trailer (it can not be towed ) so we can carry some other toys and tools as well! probably 22' long by 10 to 12' high.

Regards,
Ed

2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #675

Dutchman have you looked at the Trailer Toad?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #676

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Tounge weight looks a little heavy on the truck, will you tow it behind the Motor Home?
We were looking at the HaulMark. The curb weight was 12,000 lbs which quickly put us over the coach capacity when we started adding contents.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #677

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have had a Trailer Toad for 3 years now, and put about 15,000 miles on the road with it. Been in and out of some crazy spots with our rig, and so far, have zero complaints with the Trailer Toad.

Initially bought the Trailer Toad because on our previous MH, our Jeep on our trailer exceeded its Tow/Haul limits. On our currenth MH we have a much higher Tow/Haul limit where we would not need to use the Trailer Toad, but really like using the Trailer Toad, so we just keep using it.

We have the small Trailer Toad, which am sure Jok can tell yall the exact weight limits of, but think is rated to just under 18K lbs., way more than we will be towing.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #678
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post
Yes Sir all of the above!

Our Venza is setup for towing a 3500lb trailer with elec. brakes, but I would only use it if I could not move it around with the coach. And only if the terrain is level enough as not to get overwhelmed on a slope!

All of this is just a thought, we are debating if we should sell our 2011 Venza, DW loves it and we've already decided to get a closed trailer (it can not be towed ) so we can carry some other toys and tools as well! probably 22' long by 10 to 12' high.

Regards,
Ed
I think the biggest issue is the issue pointed out by Jok.

That issue is the different heights of the receiver between the Motor Home and the Venza

My second thought is do not get the 22 foot trailer, get a 24, as the resale on the 24 is much greater than the 22, and the weight difference is not that great.

Do you think you need the trailer toad for the Motor Home?

I have a 24 foot that I haul our Jeep in when not hauling the dragster in the 28 foot.

I wanted to be able to drop the trailer when going to National parks and be able to move it around.

I thought I would use the Jeep for that if needed.

I reinforced the frame of the Jeep so that I could move the Empty trailer around just as you are suggesting here.

This is what I did, but have yet to use the Jeep to move the trailer.

Step one to reinforce the jeep frame

Step two of the install

I think you would be ok, my justification is I have moved trailers this size around in a level parking lot with a hand dolly. So long as that is what you are doing, moving around in a level parking lot, just to park the trailer, and not going down they road, you should be ok. DO NOT TAKE IT ON THE ROAD!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #679

no way that is safe I was just moving it around the yard, it goes behind my 52' Kingsley coach

Old 10-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #680
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
no way that is safe I was just moving it around the yard, it goes behind my 52' Kingsley coach

That is the longest coach I have seen. Nice.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #681

Spartan Chassis
Travel Supreme in the dunes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV and Trailer.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	75636
Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #682

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412441556.245663.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	791.3 KB
ID:	75702 here is mine.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #683

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Never on the road!!!!

Quote:
I think the biggest issue is the issue pointed out by Jok.
That issue is the different heights of the receiver between the Motor Home and the Venza
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzEPddykFbI1RF1YrL_1k4bzRA9hMq5 8NGRh6XLxyWA7dLLwiZ[/IMG
My second thought is do not get the 22 foot trailer, get a 24, as the resale on the 24 is much greater than the 22, and the weight difference is not that great.
Do you think you need the trailer toad for the Motor Home?
I have a 24 foot that I haul our Jeep in when not hauling the dragster in the 28 foot.
I think you would be ok, my justification is I have moved trailers this size around in a level parking lot with a hand dolly. So long as that is what you are doing, moving around in a level parking lot, just to park the trailer, and not going down they road, you should be ok. DO NOT TAKE IT ON THE ROAD!
RBPower: Yes I have looked at the Trailer Toad!

Glen: The hitch height difference would be easily solved by having an adjustable (Upside down in this case) hitch on hand to make up the difference!

I can see your point about the length but I'm trying hard to keep things as short as possible, would it really make that much difference in $ (Hope I can find the perfect used one @ 22')

I would like the trailer toad so that I can move it with the car on level ground and I believe that it would make trailering and level parking in general easier, I do know that I don't need it since I have a 10.000lbs hitch and can handle the load either way.

If I could sell the Venza for a good price (DW wants to keep it ) I wouldn't mind a jeep, I've followed your posts pretty close because of your great taste in motorhomes so I've seen what you did to the Jeep, Nice job!
But with the trailer toad there's no real weight on the hitch and yes it is only for level parking lot use. If I can use the Motorhome I will but sometimes there's just little room to maneuver and then it comes in handy.

Regards,
Ed
2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #684
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post
RBPower: Yes I have looked at the Trailer Toad!

Glen: The hitch height difference would be easily solved by having an adjustable (Upside down in this case) hitch on hand to make up the difference!

I can see your point about the length but I'm trying hard to keep things as short as possible, would it really make that much difference in $ (Hope I can find the perfect used one @ 22')

I would like the trailer toad so that I can move it with the car on level ground and I believe that it would make trailering and level parking in general easier, I do know that I don't need it since I have a 10.000lbs hitch and can handle the load either way.

If I could sell the Venza for a good price (DW wants to keep it ) I wouldn't mind a jeep, I've followed your posts pretty close because of your great taste in motorhomes so I've seen what you did to the Jeep, Nice job!
But with the trailer toad there's no real weight on the hitch and yes it is only for level parking lot use. If I can use the Motorhome I will but sometimes there's just little room to maneuver and then it comes in handy.

Regards,
Ed
The tongue that goes into the receiver of the tow vehicle is bolted to the trailer toad. These bolts are quite large and will require two large wrenches.

You would have to unbolt the tongue used to tow the trailer toad on the motor home and install the tongue to be used with the car to move the trailer with the car.

The two feet in length (22 to 24) will make a large different in resale. Do a search for 22 foot trailers on Fee-bay, then do one for 24. The first thing you will find is there are very few 22 foot trailers.

Another word of advise, do not buy an off brand name, brand name trailers are more expensive, but are worth the difference in price (Brand names Hallmark, Vintage, Continental cargo, to name a few).

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #685

got it hooked up measured out at 80ft

Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #686

Newmar Owners Club
Oh My! that long......

Quote:
got it hooked up measured out at 80ft

My God..... That is one good lookin longgggg rig!