Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #813

American Coach Owners Club
Been using my WD set-up since 2000 but I don't drill it up to tight. I go one more link from snug. Ride is good and Trailer tracks straight. I've read most of the post on the WD pros and cons and I go with what works for me.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #814

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Been using my WD set-up since 2000 but I don't drill it up to tight. I go one more link from snug. Ride is good and Trailer tracks straight. I've read most of the post on the WD pros and cons and I go with what works for me.
Good response Chuck, although you and I have had this conversation before and pretty much come to the same conclusion.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #815

Mike- Your right we have or have participated in one. Funny this came up - I'm loading up the Trailer tomorrow and I had given thought on not using the Bars this trip just to compare. Or not !
Old 03-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #816

Newmar Owners Club
I suppose if one experiences any one of the conditions or more........
When Is Weight Distribution Needed?

You would likely benefit from a weight-distribution system if:

• Your trailer weight (GTW) is more than 50 percent of your vehicle's weight (GVWR)
  • The rear of your tow vehicle sags when the trailer is hooked up - Air ride suspension does not allow this condition, if operating properly.
  • You experience trailer sway
  • Your tow vehicle headlights point upward
  • You find it difficult to steer or stop your rig
  • You want to tow to the highest capacity allowed by your vehicle's trailer hitch setup

Note: To use a weight-distributing system, your trailer hitch must be rated for use with weight distribution. Check the weight rating label on your hitch to make sure that a weight-distributing capacity is listed. If no rating is listed, a weight-distribution system cannot be used.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #817
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #818

I've never seen an NHRA racer pull in to the track with a MH and trailer without a WD setup, ever and we're talking hundreds of them . They don't all have 10 K hitches either.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #819

Trailers you tow behind your MH / Pictures of the whole rig

By the way my hitch has no stickers on it. It's mounted to the Spartan frame with 4 Bolts on each side and doesn't move when I drop the trailer on . I did pull it off 4 years ago and took it to Rooman to look over the welds all was good- put it back on with 8 new grade 8 bolts.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #820

Quote:
Mike- Your right we have or have participated in one. Funny this came up - I'm loading up the Trailer tomorrow and I had given thought on not using the Bars this trip just to compare. Or not !
I've always used the bars...but on the excursion... doesn't seem to make any differance
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #821

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I've never seen an NHRA racer pull in to the track with a MH and trailer without a WD setup, ever and we're talking hundreds of them . They don't all have 10 K hitches either.
Exactly Chuck, all the years of racing and I would say 90+ % of them were running a W-D setup, whether sand or asphalt and whether standard tag trailer or stacker, didn't matter. When the wife and I are traveling and pull into a campground is where the "experts" come up to me and tell me I shouldn't be running one.

Just for giggles and grins I have made emergency lane change/manuevers towing with and without and even with a tag axle trailer I can feel a slight difference.

Mike.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #822
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Actually you sort of have, me.

I did upgrade the hitch on the vehicle to 16,000 pounds, I have 9 bolts 5/8 inch on each side, and an additional rear support bracket that runs between the frames and down to the receiver. I'm very careful about tounge weight, but the gross of the trailer is up around 8,000 pounds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #823

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Chuck, plenty of racers here in D-4, including me, forego the WD hitch setup with a tag axle coach.... especially with a triple axle trailer that has manageable/correct tongue weight or Jok's Trailer Toad. We've probably been at some of the same tracks over the years but you didn't notice me
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:20 AM   #824

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for mentioning the Trailer Toad Thunder Foot.
When it comes to towing with a motor home there are as many "good ideas" and "proven methods" as there are coach owners.

Without exception almost all of us that are towing enclosed trailers are probably "exceeding the limits of either the hitch or the combined gross weight capacity of the coach."

That does not stop us from doing it or from being safe. The next concern has to be for stopping ability, handling and "can we keep the extra weight off the coach all together so we do not structurally damage the coach?" The answer is yes, if you use a Trailer Toad. It is the ONLY hitch that allows you to tow with literally zero tongue weight on the coach

The Trailer Toad eliminates the tongue weight all together so your hitch becomes a pulling tool and not a carrying tool. We have hundreds of customers who are enjoying the benefits of not putting their coach under the stress of carrying 800 to 3000 lbs of weight on the frame and suspension of their coach by using the Trailer Toad 3500HD or the 5000SD.

Is it a bit of a pain the butt to back up? Yes, you have to get out and pin the axle on the Toad so it won't turn. You can leave it pinned if you know you are going into a race track, a campground or whatever where you might have to do some forward and reverse maneuvers. Just raise the pins when you are ready to head back out on the highway so the Trailer Toad can work to help with sway and braking.

I know, it was a long post but the reality is, a lot of guys are trusting a frame on their coach to do a lot more work than it was designed for and are damaging the floors, frames, sidewalls and slide-out openings due to flex caused by the "seemingly never repaired" U.S. Highway system.

If you have ay questions about how a Trailer Toad could help you tow safer and protect your coach you can drop me an email or call just about anytime. www.trailertoad.com.

Jok
Old 03-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #825

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
Thanks for mentioning the Trailer Toad Thunder Foot.
When it comes to towing with a motor home there are as many "good ideas" and "proven methods" as there are coach owners.

Without exception almost all of us that are towing enclosed trailers are probably "exceeding the limits of either the hitch or the combined gross weight capacity of the coach."

Jok
I am sorry Jok, I do not agree with your statement, I believe there are a larger percentage of people towing "Anything" that abide by the capacity's of not only the tow vehicle but for sure number one the receiver, if not........the only question that comes to mind is, when is something going to fail............as to why manufacture's put limits on everything made........even Allison transmissions that have a nick name"Bullet Proof" When looking at anything that is over its rated capacity.......it is not if it is going to fail........the question is When....? So as you can see now, I am not one of the one's that push my luck...........I might take things to the limit........but not in excess.........everything has a breaking/failure point.........as why the manufacture's have specs. to follow..........To each their own though.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #826

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am sorry Jok, I do not agree with your statement, I beleive there are a larger percentage of people towing "Anything" that abide by the capacity's of not only the tow vehicle but for sure number one the receiver, if not........the only question that comes to mind is, when is something going to fail............as to why manufacture's put limits on everything made........even Allison transmissions that have a nick name"Bullet Proof" So as you can see now, I am not one of the one's that push my luck...........I might take things to the limit........but not in excess.........everything has a breaking/failure point.........as why the manufacture's have specs. to follow..........To each their own though.
In Jok's defense of that statement, I think he was more referring to the racing crowd. I guarantee you that in the racing circles the statement is probably true that most ARE exceeding the limits. That is just the way it is. I have been racing for a lot of years and this is pretty much business as usuall when heading to the races.

All that said, I also firmly believe that "when" these limits are exceeded, it seems the racing crowd has at least gone and taken most of the variables into consideration, not just thrown caution into the wind and head down the road without thinking some things through. We have a lot of expensive equipment in those rolling shops/garages and most of us even being over length and over weight aren't about to risk things willy nilly.

Racers for the most part are an oddity in the respect that limits are meant to be pushed but a lot of thought process goes into it.

Sorry to make light of it, but if you aren't a racer you wouldn't understand this mindset. Hell, we push everything and don't accept anything without investigating and determining for ourselves.

I know there will be the legal begals of the group chime in and blast me, but don't hate the players, hate the game. Stickers and warnings are merely "suggestions".

Mike.