Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #827

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
In Jok's defense of that statement, I think he was more referring to the racing crowd. I guarantee you that in the racing circles the statement is probably true that most ARE exceeding the limits. That is just the way it is. I have been racing for a lot of years and this is pretty much business as usuall when heading to the races.

All that said, I also firmly believe that "when" these limits are exceeded, it seems the racing crowd has at least gone and taken most of the variables into consideration, not just thrown caution into the wind and head down the road without thinking some things through. We have a lot of expensive equipment in those rolling shops/garages and most of us even being over length and over weight aren't about to risk things willy nilly.

Racers for the most part are an oddity in the respect that limits are meant to be pushed but a lot of thought process goes into it.

Sorry to make light of it, but if you aren't a racer you wouldn't understand this mindset. Hell, we push everything and don't accept anything without investigating and determining for ourselves.

I know there will be the legal begals of the group chime in and blast me, but don't hate the players, hate the game. Stickers and warnings are merely "suggestions".

Mike.
I understand your post Mike...........the highlighted above made me laugh buddy! I come close everyday with my large hydraulic crane at work in the "Structural Failure" side of the load chart.........along with just being at the shutdown limit of the computer of the crane........I am not one that bypass's the computer to get the job done I also have a trouble free record

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #828

Winnebago Owners Club
I tend to agree with Palehorse.

Over is over and adding a trailer toad will increase the overage. While you are reducing the weight on the tongue you are increasing the pull by adding weight and another set of wheels to turn.

I wonder about the theory that racers will take pushing of the limits out of a controlled environment and into the public. Seems irresponsible.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #829

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I tend to agree with Palehorse.

Over is over and adding a trailer toad will increase the overage. While you are reducing the weight on the tongue you are increasing the pull by adding weight and another set of wheels to turn.

I wonder about the theory that racers will take pushing of the limits out of a controlled environment and into the public. Seems irresponsible.
I see your point and completely understand it, however, I don't want to start a pissin' contest, I was just giving my "opinion" based on my experience the past 25+ years of racing and what I have seen at the race track.

That said, most of the rigs I have seen at the race track appear to much more safely put together and definitely maintained than some of the ones I see pulling into commercial campgrounds for that matter. I can't tell you how many rigs I have seen in commercial campgrounds that have improperly setup towbars on toads, safety chains that are either not connected properly or connected back to the towbar where it is merely an attempt to make it look like they are attached and let's not even get started on auxiliary braking systems. Again, just pointing out that rules and laws are broken by most if not all at one point or another and people rationalize them being broken/twisted by whatever fits their application or situation at the time.

And not to beat a dead horse but the same could be said about speed limits. Those who exceed them are being just as irresponsible. Again, labels and stickers just being "suggestions".

Sorry to get off topic.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #830

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Mike;
No contest intended. Part of the issue is everyone seems to know someone who knows more than the fellows who designed the actual equipment. I understand someone who honestly does not know what stuff means but not someone who knows it and knowingly ignores the "suggestions".
Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #831

Monaco Owners Club
Great post Mike and spot on for the racers in the crowd. If our rigs are unable to transport us to the tracks consistently and on time we can't "play"; therefore, as a group we spend more time on maintenance, repairs, and inspection than the average RV'er who MIGHT put 10k miles a year on his rig with no timetable or specific itinerary to adhere to while traveling.

Racing at any level is not a hobby; it's an all consuming lifestyle. Those of us with this personality "disorder" upgrade, modify, and re-engineer virtually everything in our life until it meets our standard of reliability, durability, performance, and safety. In fact, if racers and other innovators never challenged the status quo and didn't become that "someone who knows more than the fellows who designed the actual equipment" progress would grind to a halt on many fronts.

But then again I don't need an expiration date on a bottle of milk to tell me it's spoiled Regards,

-David

/thread hijack
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #832

American Coach Owners Club
Awesome Replies ! At the least !
I called Fleetwood today to inquire about my Hitch, the younger Guys couldn't answer my questions and finally found a guy in the shop that worked there back in the day. He told me that all of the Early American Eagles had Class 4 Hitches installed through 1996 and then they changed to Class 3's for what ever reason. I Confirmed that I have 4 9/16 bolts on each side of the mount and he confirmed that yes that's a Class 4 Hitch rated at 10,000 lbs. Ok now that's done and on to the WD setup- No MH produced from American Eagle condoned a WD setup based on Spartans Recommendation for towing Capacity.
So ! What does that mean to me --- Nothing at All !
I will continue to Hook up and go.
As far as the Trailer Toad- I've seen them , They just can't back up in the pouring Rain in a rest area or at the track with out getting out and installing or pulling the Pin.
--- Not for Me !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #833

Vintage RV Owners Club
Trailers you tow behind your motor homes

I agree with the comments about the "racer crowd" be a little obsessed with maintenance, welding in structural braces, better brake controllers and weight control when they tow with motor homes.
I have towed enclosed trailer across the Country starting with a 1977 Pace Arrow gas coach. Probably 5000 lbs over it's capacity but new rear frame braces, tons of maintenance on the Dodge chassis brakes, trans, coolers (both oil and trans) and ALWAYS being defensive.
From that to the diesel pusher now you have to remember that the "hitch engineers" have to design for the inexperienced users. They are also limited by their budgets to create strength as long as they don't spend too much money.
5000 lb ratings on hitches are all based on industry standards that 10% of tat weight will be tongue weight. They are not really rated for what they can just pull, it always involves what they can "carry" as well.

No matter what you tow, how you do it and what equipment you use; you have to be careful, plan ahead and be ready to do more maintenance than the guys that just "hop in and hope everything will be OK".

Enough of this towing stuff, let's get back to seeing some the really cool motor home / trailer setups you guys have. I love the ones with the trailers painted to match, they look super nice!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	89133  
Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #834

"No MH produced from American Eagle condoned a WD setup based on Spartans Recommendation for towing Capacity." I have to ask,If american eagle never poduced one why is it in my owners manual? Here's a picture of the townig capacity in the closet of my coach. . Isn't this type of tag in all coaches?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150322_095653.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	89262  
Old 03-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #835

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
"No MH produced from American Eagle condoned a WD setup based on Spartans Recommendation for towing Capacity." I have to ask,If american eagle never poduced one why is it in my owners manual? Here's a picture of the townig capacity in the closet of my coach. . Isn't this type of tag in all coaches?
I am just wondering here how you would flat tow a truck that weighs 6-7k.......or can't you with these hitch ratings?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #836

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
Well ! Don't have that in mine, what does that mean to me ? Nothing like I said before I've been hauling my Trailer 22 to 25 thousand miles a year since 2000 well almost. I drop the Hitch snug the chains and Go. I sometimes think we confuse towing capacity with Hauling capacity as mentioned by Palehorse89. Dropping dead weight on your hitch is far different than hooking a Toad Vehicle with a flexible hitch and heading down the road.
Either way getting from point A to Point B safely is all-ways a priority.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #837

heres my new 22'r triple 5200 lb axels....I'm still doing the build

Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 AM   #838

Newmar Owners Club
Lookin good so far! Did you build the trailer from start? Just have to ask, why 3 axle's on such a short trailer? What are you going to load in it?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #839

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Lookin good so far! Did you build the trailer from start? Just have to ask, why 3 axle's on such a short trailer? What are you going to load in it?
I was kind of wondering the same thing in a 22' trailer?

I have had two enclosed trailers over the years (24' and now 26')and on my current one I almost went triple axle for weight capacity but ended up just upgrading my axles to two 7k pound units. My trailer is routinely around 12k pounds ready to travel and tows beautifully.

Three axles would balance her out a bit better as I do have a lot of tongue weight but in the end I am glad I didn't go with three axles.

Just curious why 22' triple axle? Are they 5200 pound axles?

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #840

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post

Are they 5200 pound axles?

Mike.
That's what his post #837 states.

Maybe he plans to haul an armored Brinks Truck.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote