Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #897

Not exactly a 'trailer', but here's our normal 'toad'... On steep grades, I fire up the boat to help push us up the hill.

Itasca 30 ft. Crownline 26.5 ft. Overall = too dang much to see little cars!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150521_184008-1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	98395  

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #898
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Not exactly a 'trailer', but here's our normal 'toad'... On steep grades, I fire up the boat to help push us up the hill.

Used to have a 21.5 bow rider Crownline. Nice boat

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post

Leave your back up camera on all the time. I tow a 24 ft sailboat, (63ft total) and have no trouble seeing anything in the camera.
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #900

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both the Vista and the '65 Mustang are history, but I still have the trailer. We now have an Itasca 35F and use it to tow a '13 Mustang convertible when not using the dolly to tow the wife's Focus

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #901

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFaust View Post
Same trailer as before, but new-to-me 40' tag coach. Pulls much, much nicer than the 34' Cayman.
Nice looking coach/trailer setup.

Couple of questions out of curiosity. Does your Allure have the Cummins ISL? How does it pull the trailer and what is the weight of your trailer fully loaded? Weight of the coach?

Thanks.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #902

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Nice looking coach/trailer setup.

Couple of questions out of curiosity. Does your Allure have the Cummins ISL? How does it pull the trailer and what is the weight of your trailer fully loaded? Weight of the coach?

Thanks.

Mike.
Yes, ISL 400.

Trailer is at 9,500 fully loaded, but I haven't had a chance to weigh the coach yet. GVWR is 45,000, and GCWR is 55,000.

There's 'enough' power; it's not a hot rod, but it's a solid pull. Cruise all day at 67 mph @ 1700 rpm.

Compared to the previous 34', the tag, longer wheel base, and air brakes make all the difference in the world. If I pass or get passed by semi's, I don't feel a thing.

I haven't had time to install the trailer brake controller yet, but really don't feel that I need it. I will only install it to be legal. The Jake brake is a heck of a good feature, and coming off the highway, there's no need to even touch the brake pedal until hitting the stop sign.

Total length is 70'.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #903

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFaust View Post
Yes, ISL 400.

Trailer is at 9,500 fully loaded, but I haven't had a chance to weigh the coach yet. GVWR is 45,000, and GCWR is 55,000.

There's 'enough' power; it's not a hot rod, but it's a solid pull. Cruise all day at 67 mph @ 1700 rpm.

Compared to the previous 34', the tag, longer wheel base, and air brakes make all the difference in the world. If I pass or get passed by semi's, I don't feel a thing.

I haven't had time to install the trailer brake controller yet, but really don't feel that I need it. I will only install it to be legal. The Jake brake is a heck of a good feature, and coming off the highway, there's no need to even touch the brake pedal until hitting the stop sign.

Total length is 70'.
Sounds similar to our 40' Dynasty with the ISL 400. Not a hot rod but it gets the job done fairly easily, don't think I would want to be any heavier though. Our trailer when loaded is 12,500 pounds and it pulls all day long at 67 MPH @ ~1750 RPM. Slows a bit on the grades but I am usually still passing OTR trucks and some coaches. Seven and eight percent grades really work it though, down to around 35 MPH on them.

On a side note, I would highly recommend a trailer brake controller, more than to just be legal. They really help with braking, especially in an emergency or hard stop situation. You don't want that nearly 10k pounds pushing you, you want the assistance of those extra two axles to knock that speed down quickly.

I adjust mine to where I barely feel the trailer in a stopping situation and then back off slightly. This technique puts the trailer brakes and coach brakes very closely in unison for even and safe braking.

Again, great looking setup.

Mike.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #904

Tiffin Owners Club
Just setting my trailer up... wrap to match the motor home on the 15th...will have a large winged harley eagle on the back with "Let's Roll" in the banner...66 ft....hauling one ultra and my wife's trike.

Lovin Life

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	98790
Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #905

A couple of you guys worry me a little, one of you has a 9500 lb trailer with no brake controller and the other has a 12,500 lb trailer on what should be a 10k hitch. My first motorhome had a 5k hitch and after I bought it I looked closely at it and the metal had fatigued and cracked to the point of almost falling off. I had a new Hitch welded on. As for using the Jake or exhaust brake to stop your rig rather than the brakes, I hope you are adjusting the self adjusters by blocking the wheels, turning off the parking brake and pressing down on the brake pedal hard for about 10 seconds repeating about 6 times. I was just reading about the fact that we are too good with our brakes because of the Jake and the adjusters never have a chance to self adjust. Google it if you have any questions.
Don't mean to offend, just very safety conscious.
Steve
Old 07-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #906

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
A couple of you guys worry me a little, one of you has a 9500 lb trailer with no brake controller and the other has a 12,500 lb trailer on what should be a 10k hitch. My first motorhome had a 5k hitch and after I bought it I looked closely at it and the metal had fatigued and cracked to the point of almost falling off. I had a new Hitch welded on. As for using the Jake or exhaust brake to stop your rig rather than the brakes, I hope you are adjusting the self adjusters by blocking the wheels, turning off the parking brake and pressing down on the brake pedal hard for about 10 seconds repeating about 6 times. I was just reading about the fact that we are too good with our brakes because of the Jake and the adjusters never have a chance to self adjust. Google it if you have any questions.

Steve
Well I'm with Steve on this one, all its gonna take is 1 Panic stop or a steep down hill grade and there's gonna be trouble, I would never leave my driveway without my Trailer Brakes working. In Fact I change the Trailer Brakes every other January.
Moving on- Some nice looking rigs on here !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:40 AM   #907
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Brakes on a trailer are there for a reason, put the controller in and use it.

Before hauling my current trailer I talked with the chassis manufacture and then installed a 16,000 pound hitch and added additional chassis contact points to spread the stress points.

Having follow zmotorsports projects I am sure he has done the research to know that his chassis can handle the weight and braking with safety.

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #908

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Steve
No need to worry about my setup. I have taken necessary steps to ensure the safety and integrity of my rig and its towing components. Safety on any of my vehicles whether daily drivers or race is of the highest priority. I also do this for a living and have had a couple decades of experience, I don't merely get my information from the internet which is why I hessitate many times to even post my setup because it seems to draw out the weight and the length police.

My position still stands on the trailer braking however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post

Having follow zmotorsports projects I am sure he has done the research to know that his chassis can handle the weight and braking with safety.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Glenn. I appreciate it even though I hessitated on my post before I made it for this very reason.

Mike.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #909

Quote:
Steve
Good point about adjusting the, uh, self-adjusters, I was not aware.

Re the brake controller, it's going on for sure: I've found the brake switch, spare circuit in the fuse box, and have mounted the controller. I just need to run the wires and hook it all up. I'm surprised that these coaches did not come with the "rough in" for this.

My previous coach, 34' with hydraulic brakes, felt like it could barely stop the rig, even with a working trailer brake controller. On this one, I can barely tell that I am towing anything.

Of course, the trailer was almost 50% of the Cayman's weight, whereas now, it's more like 20%.

Oh, and just to keep this on topic, since it is a picture thread after all:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20130424-00146.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	98855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150207-00468.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	98856  

Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #910
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Our Rodeo Set up

As a Physician Extender/Athletic Trainer, I provide Sports Medicine Coverage for all Mississippi Junior high and High School rodeo as well as many professional rodeos in our area. This set up allows me to be on site to provide injury prevention measures such as bracing, taping, stretching ect... as well as acute and chronic injury treatment for all our cowboys and cowgirls.
Love this life style!!!!
34 foot National Dolphin pulling a 24 foot 5500 pound fully equipped trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motor home and trailer.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	98853