Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #911

Oops. Upside down rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435763955044.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	98862  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #912

There are some great looking combinations. I too would worry that some lack braking or are too heavy for the tow vehicle.

Many of us are over length for some of the states we travel through. Has anyone ever been stopped for being over length, which is 65 feet in many states?

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #913

My trailer, 12'

Recently picked up this 7x12' trailer for my bikes. No need for tandem axles given the heavy load I have is 1,400 lbs.

L.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motorhome trailer.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	98872  
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #914

Tiffin Owners Club
My MH hitch has a 15,000 lb. capacity....my receiver has a 16,000 lb. capacity...the class V ball has a GTW of 20,000...my trailer has a 5400 lb. capacity with a tongue weight capacity of 1040lbs...trailer and load not to exceed 10,000 lbs...hauling a Harley Trike at 970 lbs...two ultras at 896 lbs ea...misc. at 200- 400lbs...should be well within the trailers capacity...also sporting a Tekonsha Brake Controller...TST Monitoring...hopefully all is good.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #915

Believe me I am far from the weight police. My safari panther which has the S series chassis has a 10k hitch and the 03 Dynasty calls for a 10k hitch. Did you have a new hitch installed with additional bracing? That's what I did on my 97 imperial when I found that the hitch had torn through most of the metal and was barely hanging on. I upgraded to a 10k hitch and had it professionally welded on with additional bracing. Never had a problem after that. As I said I didn't want to offend. Not everyone has your commitment to safety. A friend of mine tows his car and doesn't use a braking system, that to me is just stupid. Reminds me of the guy that will step over a dollar to pick up a dime....
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #916

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Slemnah, I guess your response is to what I had just posted but you certainly didn't offend me...this is good checks and balances that we all need...maybe something said on here could save someone's life. In regard to welding additional bracing on to my hitch...no I havn't done any of that...my MH hitch came with a 15,000 pound rating...not sure if this is something new or not...think I would still be a little scheptical about doing that...not sure what kind of testing would have to be done to certify the load limit...pretty sure DOT would have a problem with it also. Anyway, Everyone Have A Great Day.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #917

Trailers you tow behind your MH / Pictures of the whole rig

Actually my response was for zmotorsports since he has a 2003 Dynasty with a 10k hitch and is towing 12,500. I just worry that what happened to my earlier coach could happen to the welds on his unless he checks it. I just hate hearing about things that happen to these beasts as they go down the road so I always feel safe is better. Beautiful coach and trailer you have ABSwift.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #918

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin38 View Post
TX Motor Speedway for Good Guys Street Nationals last March.
Now that is my dream trailer..
Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #919

18' hauls my toys, but love the stacker.

Name:	image-4087202469.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	99035
Old 07-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #920

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Actually my response was for zmotorsports since he has a 2003 Dynasty with a 10k hitch and is towing 12,500. I just worry that what happened to my earlier coach could happen to the welds on his unless he checks it. I just hate hearing about things that happen to these beasts as they go down the road so I always feel safe is better. Beautiful coach and trailer you have ABSwift.
No offense taken here, I have thick skin. Trust me I knew when I posted my weights/lengths that there would be kickback, which is why I don't usually participate in those discussions. Far too many people know only what they read on the internet and what the decals/stickers tell them and nothing more.

I have nearly 3 decades now in the industrial maintenance as well as automotive/racing fields with mechanical and fabrication experience. Those that have been there done that know what I am talking about. Those that only know what they have read only think they know what they are talking about, big difference. Safety is priority number 1 on anything and everything I do. A weld can fail on a 15k or 18k pound hitch just as it can on a 10k pound hitch. Definitely inspections and in some cases modifications are required when dealing with the kind of weight we are discussing. I am anal about my welding as well as very critical of welded structures that I come across and deal with.

I think it is good to discuss the safety aspects of our rigs but we need to look at the intent vs. the content of what we read, as well as say. It is much more difficult to communicate via the internet because so much of what we say when talking face to face with someone is communicated by body language and the tone of the words. That is not so with internet communication which makes it difficult to sometimes interpret the true "intent" of what a discussion is.

The intent is to ensure people have the basic knowledge of their rigs and their abilities, especially when hauling the kinds of weight that we are talking about. However, many times people get too caught up in the "content" of the message, meaning they focus solely on the numbers and words.

No need to occupy this thread with debate over weight and length, let me just say my coach is plenty capable of what I ask of it and I am sure it is maintained better than most on the road.

Now let's get back to pictures.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #921
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
No offense taken here, I have thick skin. Trust me I knew when I posted my weights/lengths that there would be kickback, which is why I don't usually participate in those discussions. Far too many people know only what they read on the internet and what the decals/stickers tell them and nothing more.

I have nearly 3 decades now in the industrial maintenance as well as automotive/racing fields with mechanical and fabrication experience. Those that have been there done that know what I am talking about. Those that only know what they have read only think they know what they are talking about, big difference. Safety is priority number 1 on anything and everything I do. A weld can fail on a 15k or 18k pound hitch just as it can on a 10k pound hitch. Definitely inspections and in some cases modifications are required when dealing with the kind of weight we are discussing. I am anal about my welding as well as very critical of welded structures that I come across and deal with.

I think it is good to discuss the safety aspects of our rigs but we need to look at the intent vs. the content of what we read, as well as say. It is much more difficult to communicate via the internet because so much of what we say when talking face to face with someone is communicated by body language and the tone of the words. That is not so with internet communication which makes it difficult to sometimes interpret the true "intent" of what a discussion is.

The intent is to ensure people have the basic knowledge of their rigs and their abilities, especially when hauling the kinds of weight that we are talking about. However, many times people get too caught up in the "content" of the message, meaning they focus solely on the numbers and words.

No need to occupy this thread with debate over weight and length, let me just say my coach is plenty capable of what I ask of it and I am sure it is maintained better than most on the road.

Now let's get back to pictures.

Mike.

GlennLever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #922

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #923

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuir26 View Post
Oops. Upside down rig.
Are most?
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote