Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #953

Rig set-up

Our current set-up. Our boys (ages 10 and 12) race a national ATV series called Grand National Cross Country (or GNCC www.gnccracing.com)
You can also follow them on Facebook at Henderson Brothers Racing, LLC.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV photo.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	105462  
skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #954

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skin View Post
Our current set-up. Our boys (ages 10 and 12) race a national ATV series called Grand National Cross Country (or GNCC www.gnccracing.com)
You can also follow them on Facebook at Henderson Brothers Racing, LLC.

Enjoy!
Nice looking rig.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #955

Aging gracefully

37' 2002 Fleetwood Bounder 36S Ford V10
2001 Honda Civic EX
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0991 (2).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	105673  
ajdauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #956

I have been thinking about the stacker trailers. But I'm finding out that they are more a status symbol than practical. The reason I say that is that the adverts say if you have two cars and don't want to be so long a stacker is for you. SO! I have an 11Ft long Caterham super seven and a 15Ft long MB GLK250 diesel. An 18 Ft stacker would do fine. But just try and find one. Most of the stacker adverts show stackers so LOOOOONG. That I could fit both my vehicles nose to tail in one & never use the lift. So what's the point. And aren't we limited by law to 65' total length?
1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #957

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super7pilot View Post
I have been thinking about the stacker trailers. But I'm finding out that they are more a status symbol than practical. The reason I say that is that the adverts say if you have two cars and don't want to be so long a stacker is for you. SO! I have an 11Ft long Caterham super seven and a 15Ft long MB GLK250 diesel. An 18 Ft stacker would do fine. But just try and find one. Most of the stacker adverts show stackers so LOOOOONG. That I could fit both my vehicles nose to tail in one & never use the lift. So what's the point. And aren't we limited by law to 65' total length?
For the size of your choice of vehicles you could easily build your own "stacker" with a trailer in your choice of length and some extra inches of height. Most mfg's will built a trailer with xtra heights in 6" increments. You also can find smaller, 18-24' stackers at several manufacturers and often used on sites such as Racing Junk. I find "practical" is defined by what you need or want while considering your budget or tolerance for spending your liquid resources!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #958

Thunderfoot. What the heck do you haul that needs 28 Ft length and stacked two high?

Isn't the Monaco roadmaster chassis limited to 10k with 1k tongue weight?

While looking at the stackers. I thought that most 28 footers that I saw are around 6-7k empty. That doesn't leave much room weight wise for "stuff"
Old 09-17-2015, 01:48 AM   #959

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thunderfoot. What the heck do you haul that needs 28 Ft length and stacked two high?

Had the stacker custom built in '95. At the time we hauled 5 mx bikes, parts, a 4 wheeler, and either a Honda Accord or Dakota PU for a toad. Later on the trailer was used to haul a 4 wheeler or golf cart up front, either 2 race cars (drag racing), or a race car & dragster. If only one race car or dragster made the trip a Honda toad filled the spot.

Isn't the Monaco roadmaster chassis limited to 10k with 1k tongue weight?

The triple axles (7k ea, 16" tires, brakes on all) were placed to provide a measly 600-750#'s of tongue weight, depending on the cargo. Originally pulled it with a HR Endeavor LE (5.9 Cummins) with a Banks kit for over 3 years and 100k miles. It wasn't over powered by any means but it did a remarkable job all things considered and only required one head gasket and head re-surfacing with a valve job during that time. It's still running hard today albeit pulling a much smaller, one car 24' trailer for the racing friend that bought it. The Coach in my sig has pulled it since '00.... it is an amazing machine!

While looking at the stackers. I thought that most 28 footers that I saw are around 6-7k empty. That doesn't leave much room weight wise for "stuff"

There are numerous trailer mfg's who produce a lighter unit than those you mention, but they are pricey. Performax, Aluma, ATC, Featherlite, & Gold Rush (just to name a few) are well known for their high quality, custom trailers. Do your due diligence as some companies offer a hybrid aluminum/steel trailer as an economical option to a full aluminum piece if weight is your primary concern. Hope this answers your questions and best of luck with your decision!
NOTE: The particulars of how or what anyone chooses to tow is strictly a personal matter but continues to be the subject of much debate and fodder for "discussion" on this forum and elsewhere. The above is in response to super7pilot's questions and my comments and experiences are not meant to be considered an endorsement or recommendation of any kind.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #960

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We ordered a 20' stacker at the maximum height (13.5'). InTech was able to install a 16' deck which is what we needed. It is all aluminum and sits on the curb at 6350 lbs. The GVWR is 18,000 but we are limited to 15,000 by the coach and hitch. We are currently at 12,918 fully loaded.

Length limits are set by each state and province. They vary. I have encountered length restrictions from 60' to 75'. Local rules apply no matter where you are licensed.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #961

Thanks for the detailed reply thunderfoot.
I will most likely just sell my Caterham if I go "full time" RVing.

It has been quite an eye opener looking at the stacker trailers. Truthfully I just can't see the justification of a hydraulic lift costing on average 40K. When a slightly longer inline two car enclosed trailer can be had for 15K. To me that's a rather expensive lift & severe weight penalty to save very little in length.

Of course I have another issue. My name isn't Bill Gates. While a lot of folks were getting rich in the real world, I went off to serve my country in the military for 20 years & when my ship came in, I found that it was mostly empty.

Mind you. I'm not crying over spilled milk. Just that it's a fact that I don't have an unlimited budget. Yet I do consider myself fortunate that I CAN go full timing. Just not at the Prevost level. I'll just have to adapt and endeavor to persevere.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #962

Winnebago Owners Club
Super - IMO a longer trailer is a viable option. Just that it has risks.

I have observed many very long trailers heading out the the Imperial Dunes at Thanksgiving, towed behind some very large MH. For the most part I believe the constabulary will leave you alone if you are driving sensibly. I doubt many of the highway patrol will stop you simply because you are overlength.

Unfortunately there is the occasion when an enthusiastic officer will stop you. Maybe because they are bored, who knows?

At that point you will/could be given a fine and a stop order until the deficiency (length) is corrected.

Note: A friend got pulled into a scale pulling a U-Haul. He was over weight on the trailer and the truck. By the time the dust settled he had $800 in fines.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #963

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Pulling this picture up already makes me itching for next spring!!
Do you have problems launching?
Good Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #964

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfisher40 View Post
Do you have problems launching?
It's very easy. You just have to make sure the launch has enough room. When loading, because the back end of the MH sticks out so far, I keep rubber boots in the boat because when your cranking it on your standing in water. The tires of the MH never touch the water.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #965

First trip with the enclosed trailer. 36' Discovery with a 20' Carson trailer (53" tongue and 8" hitch extension). 62' 4" overall length. It is a work in progress but pulled well on the first trip. This trip I carried the Polaris Ranger and RZR.

IMG_0011.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	113124  
discovery4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #966

Here's our current rig, 39ft Itasca, plus 18ft allu trailer
Attached Thumbnails