Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #1093

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
zMotorsports, how do you like towing the 24' and 28' trailers with the single rear axle motorhome at highway speeds? Windy conditions?

Actually I don't even know my trailer is still there half the time.
It weighs 10 K loaded - winds have never been an issue out this way .
Most of the time I'm passing so the occasional truck passing me is insignificant . No push - maybe a little side draft but I don't move around .

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #1094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
How do you guys run Olds without them coming apart? While they made a great car engine, normally those Olds big blocks couldn't take the high RPMs. I ran a 425 in my '71 cutlass. The webing eventually cracked.
I run a 350DX nascar version block with 1" thick pan rails, factory 4 bolt mains with very thick main webbing. Good for more than 8000 rpm with a good aftermarket crank.

I have ran big block stroker engines in the past, but the block is the weak point above 650 hp. I do know some people running them with billet crank and a main girdle that are over 850 hp and are staying together.

Future project is a DRCE gen 1 Olds block and heads made for 1990's pro stock racing. Should outlast me

And the Ross Racing car is way cool. I believe its based on the older 394 platform, with there own aluminum heads
Cdnw30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #1095

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Actually I don't even know my trailer is still there half the time.
It weighs 10 K loaded - winds have never been an issue out this way .
Most of the time I'm passing so the occasional truck passing me is insignificant . No push - maybe a little side draft but I don't move around .

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
WhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #1096
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you.
I pull a 28 foot trailer (dual axle trailer, wish I had the third axle think it would make a big difference), around 9,000 pounds, with the 6 foot "RV" tongue, 39 foot American Dream.

I usually travel around 65 MPH which means I get passed, but do not mind.

With the old Samson tires GL283A which were 500 pounds under rated for the front of the coach wind and passing trucks got my attention. Tolerable but certainly noticeable. In very windy conditions I just slowed down.

I now have new 295/75R22.5 G399 A H rated tires (16 PLY) all the way around.

The ride is not noticeably harsher, but it is a little stiffer. The Motor Home and trailer tolerate the wind better, but I still feel it.

I'm an old truck driver and know stead gets you there and I leave with plenty time to get where I am going. Rather that fighting the wind I just slow down a bit (rarely below 60).

I am very comfortable at 65 MPH and when I get there I'm not tired.

In calm conditions I do not even know the trailer is back there

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #1097

Had an open trailer for my 2 seat RZR 1000 got tired of having to lock everything to the trailer when I stopped or unlocking when I got to the destination. Recently bought this 16' enclosed trailer, added E track to wheel strap the rzr down. I can keep more gear in the trailer without worrying about it walking away. 61' long. I still have to live in [mod edit] until my wife retires in 2018 so didn't want to take any chances with the 65' limit. CHP doesn't seem to bother RV's much for some reason unless your caught in the line going to glamis on holiday weekends. Then they make an effort to weigh and measure RV's, they do enforce to the letter of the law there. Had fatal accidents with overloaded toy haulers and alcohol on a couple occasions. Just drove 1000 miles with my new trailer without a plate and had no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	129227  
Old 06-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #1098

Newmar Owners Club
MADP w/Stacker

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8118.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	129232

2013 MADP with 2014 ATC Stacker. Box length 17 ft. 8 in.Total length 22 ft.
Total bumper to bumper is 64ft. 11in. Ext. height 13ft 4in.Two 7000 lb axels.
Holds 2 HD motorcycles, Fiat Abarth, bicycles, and other important junk.
Empty weight with tools, spare tires, and misc stuff is 6800 lbs. With vehicles is 10800 lbs. I put a remote camera on the back which is quite helpful. Tows good, not too bad on hills.
Good dealer - Moore Custom Trailers, Nappanee, IN assisted with custom paint to match.
pitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #1099

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitty View Post

Empty weight with tools, spare tires, and misc stuff is 6800 lbs. With vehicles is 10800 lbs. I put a remote camera on the back which is quite helpful. Tows good, not too bad on hills.
Good dealer - Moore Custom Trailers, Nappanee, IN assisted with custom paint to match.
That's a good looking rig. Wouldn't mind seeing the inside with bikes and car.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #1100

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
zMotorsports, how do you like towing the 24' and 28' trailers with the single rear axle motorhome at highway speeds? Windy conditions?
Sorry, I just saw this.

With our single rear axle Beaver it towed our 24' trailer loaded at about 8500 pounds with no adverse handling issues. We were just over 68' in overall length and it handled fine. I also ran a weight distributing hitch which I believe helped, even with the air suspension.

The biggest reason I wanted a tag axle when we upgraded coaches was because I knew I wanted a larger trailer and would be a bit heavier. With our 40' Dynasty and our 26' Haulmark Edge race trailer we were right @ 72' overall length and about 12,500 pounds when hauling the Jeep and Harley Ultra and it handled fantastic. The biggest difference I saw between the single rear axle coach and the tag axle coach was less porpoising going down a section of road with road undulations. Other than that not a lot of difference but I did feel a little more comfortable with the weight capacities of the Dynasty with the tag axle.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #1101

pitty, Game over you win the contest for the best looking rig

[emoji41][emoji106][emoji106][emoji41]
sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #1102

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Attachment 129232

That is bad ass looking.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #1103

Send a message via Yahoo to stevejohnson Send a message via Skype™ to stevejohnson
This is the configuration I am thinking of using

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Here's what we pull. Can pull about any toad. And backup. No ramps as it tilts. Hydraulic brakes and rock guard. Trailer is about 1400#
Except that we have a ministry and will be hauling musical and pa equipment.

My plan is to haul a 1/2 ton cargo van with about 1000 lbs of equipment, total weight is going to be just under 8000 lbs, I have an American Eagle 38' diesel pusher.

The owners manual says not over 5000 lbs.

What are your thoughts in that you seem to be doing it with yours.

Thanks,

Steve
stevejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #1104

Quote:
Attachment 129232

Nice setup.. I didn't even know you could get an 18 foot stacker.. I had looked online for days and shortest I found was 20
Troll Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Killer View Post
Nice setup.. I didn't even know you could get an 18 foot stacker.. I had looked online for days and shortest I found was 20
ATC will build you whatever you want. I had a custom trailer done by them, just need to find a dealer to work with you and customize what you want.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-racer View Post
ATC will build you whatever you want. I had a custom trailer done by them, just need to find a dealer to work with you and customize what you want.
So any length?... Well assuming you can fit the lift... Ive noticed most of them have tool boxes up front.. Can you have them make the stacker like a traditional v nose with nothing up there.. One last question (sorry looked for days) I noticed the longest lift you could do is 14 foot in one.. Can they make custom lift lengths.. Such as 18 .. 20 foot etc. Ty.. Sorry if this is hijacking.. If you know a good place to post this question.. Let me know. I will post it over there
Troll Killer is offline   Reply With Quote