Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

Tranny/parking brake problem

I had a question earlier that I received alot of help from everyone and the answers solved my problem. Now I have another one. Why does the rv still roll when I put the transmission in park? It just started doing this last week when we left a site in Rudd's Creek Campground in Va. The emergency brake goes a long way down now too. Are the two interconnected somehow? It is not an auto brake system so what causes this? Does the brake drum mounted behind the tranny act as the park as well as the emergency brake? Can it be adjusted like the drum brakes on a truck? I know there was more than one question in there but all the info you guys can give would be helpful. 94 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ w/ 454. Thanks in advance!
vapor2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like your park brake shoes are our of adjustment or most likely at the point of needing replacement.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor2k View Post
I had a question earlier that I received alot of help from everyone and the answers solved my problem. Now I have another one. Why does the rv still roll when I put the transmission in park? It just started doing this last week when we left a site in Rudd's Creek Campground in Va. The emergency brake goes a long way down now too. Are the two interconnected somehow? It is not an auto brake system so what causes this? Does the brake drum mounted behind the tranny act as the park as well as the emergency brake? Can it be adjusted like the drum brakes on a truck? I know there was more than one question in there but all the info you guys can give would be helpful. 94 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ w/ 454. Thanks in advance!
vapor2k: your post ending "w/454" leads me to ASSUME you have a Chevy/GM P32 chassis. It also has me confused because of several things you posted (which I marked in bold) that seem to contradict what little I know about the P32 and its parking brake system, aka the J71 AAPB.

The BEST advice I can offer is for you to verify, if possible, the year and model of the chassis and contact Roger Haag via email to: oldusedbear11@charter.net Roger is the acknowledge EXPERT about these things and his help is free to all who need it. Good luck. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
vapor2k: your post ending "w/454" leads me to ASSUME you have a Chevy/GM P32 chassis. It also has me confused because of several things you posted (which I marked in bold) that seem to contradict what little I know about the P32 and its parking brake system, aka the J71 AAPB.

The BEST advice I can offer is for you to verify, if possible, the year and model of the chassis and contact Roger Haag via email to: oldusedbear11@charter.net Roger is the acknowledge EXPERT about these things and his help is free to all who need it. Good luck. Ed
It is a P-30 chassis according to the prople at Camping World in Roanoke where I purchased it. The foot operated emeregency brake goes almost all the way down with very little resistance. Also the tech at CWsaid it was not an Auto Park systemas there are no solenoids, switches, and no control knobs on dash for the system, only the foot operated emergency brake. Thanks, sorry for the confusion, I am still new at this.
vapor2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor2k View Post
It is a P-30 chassis according to the prople at Camping World in Roanoke where I purchased it. The foot operated emeregency brake goes almost all the way down with very little resistance. Also the tech at CWsaid it was not an Auto Park systemas there are no solenoids, switches, and no control knobs on dash for the system, only the foot operated emergency brake. Thanks, sorry for the confusion, I am still new at this.
vapor2K: The term P30 is realy just a misnomer because AFAIK, ALL of the P series chassis GM & WCC produced were P32. Regardless, what we call it won't answer your questions. I don't KNOW if giving me the complete VIN # will allow me to help you further, but I'm willing to try. If you don't want to post it, then send to me in a PM and I'll see what I can glean from the system. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
#1 You do have a auto park brake. #2 you have a P32 chassis. All the relays and switches are on the passenger side of the drive shaft under the MH. Look there and you will see a metal box. It has a plastic container with a removeable top. this is the hyd.for the pump. If you remove the cover on the side of the box, you will see all the relays etc. Other posts will tell you how to fix it. #3 yes they are connected.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Forgot 1 thing. your transmission does not have a parking pawl. The autopark is all it has to hold it.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #8

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Your foot brake and Autopark brake are connected but can be adjusted separately, that is once your shoes are adjusted properly you must still readjust the cable for your foot brake. As stated before send Roger an email, you can PM me with your email address and I can send adjustment instructions he sent me. Roger is the man for the technical parts of this system.
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #9

Just went trough the Auto Park system on my 1998 P30 MH. There is a typical drum brake adjuster at the 12:00 position, accessable by a little slot on the flange (not Drum) side. However it will be very difficult to access this location. I chose to do the whole job and replaced the shoes because they were wore from two system failures while at speed. Drop the drive shaft by removing the U bolts and the tranny and the carrier bearing bolts and mid shaft. This allowed the drive shaft to drop down enough to be out of the way. We then released the tension on the cable thereby freeing the shoes. Removed the drum with a little help of a pry bar and a rubber hammer. Once open it is just like any other drum brake. Remove and replace. Measure the inside diamater of the drum and set shoes to a slightly smaller measurement. Re-install the drum and test by rying to spin the drum with a bar. Adjust if neccessary. Re-install the drive shaft and real world test it. If neccessary drop the shaft again pull the drum and re-adjust. A little goes a long way. Re-install and re-test.
With new shoes in hand, it took me about 2 hours to replace that and a bad seloniod on the auto park.
002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake