Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Tranny temp first trip ??s

We just took our first trip in the MH. We left yesterday and the temperature was about 85 degrees. As soon as we got on the freeway we sat in traffic. It took over 3 hours to go 65 miles. This included some long hills etc. Anyways, I had just installed a new tranny temp gauge and watched the temp slowly climb from about 180 when we were initially moving to 195 then 210 and finally 225 when we finally started moving and were climbing some long grades. As we were finally moving and after the hills the tranny temp finally dropped to about 210 right before we got to our destination. The fluid is new and the MH has an external cooler. It is a 1997 460 with an E4OD tranny. Is this tranny temp ok or do I need to do something? The engine temperature was in the middle of the gauge.

I will be installing the Banks Transcommand later this month.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Were you using the lockout button to keep it out of overdrive?
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

It is warm but expected temps. Especially in hot stop and go traffic. The heat is mostly coming from the torque converter. This is due to "stall" that is occurring in the torque converter. That generates a lot of heat. Over heating does not occur till 275*F. You can add an additional fan on the trans cooler to help keep the heat lower but I would not be to worried about it. If you flushed the trans with Mercon V, that is a synthetic fluid that can handle the higher temps even easier. Some transmissions that use Mercon V run in that temp range.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #4

Well, we made the return trip yesterday and even though we initially hit traffic for about the first hour and the tranny temp only got up to about 210. However, once we started moving and over the next hour of the trip the tranny temp stayed between 195 and 200 the whole way even on hills. I'm guessing the tranny didn't have enough time to get back to normal on the prior trip.

Anyways, I will be checking the space on the tranny cooler and probably install an electric fan. I will also be having the Banks kit and Transcommand installed next week, so that should help with the heat.

I did use the overdrive button on the hills to drop the tranny to 3rd for a little more pulling power.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.