Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Trans fluid mixed with diesel fuel

I am trying to get more support and a better understanding of this subject. some people say to add trans fluid to diesel fuel and some say it's a no, no. if you do or have done it how much trans fluid per gallon of fuel and why? if you don't believe in it, why? the cat. dealer says not to add anything. the engine in question is a 2004 3126e, 330 cat. thanks.
Gerry..........
daddyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #2

What is the reason you want to add something to your diesel fuel? What end result are you trying to achieve?
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wonder what would happen if you added diesel fuel to your automatic transmission?

Cat dealer would probably say don't do that either.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #4

I used to add ATF ,1qt to 38 gal fill up in my 02 super duty. Adds lubricitiy and makes things run a lot better with today's ultra low sulfur fuels. The truck would run quieter and with a noticeable amount of extra power. It's ok to run in non catalytic engines but I wouldn't in any def added engines.

Try it and see if you notice any difference, won't hurt that old cat.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
laj

I do it all the time and have for yrs. pre-fill my fuel filter with it every filter change as well as periodically add a quart to the tank itself. sure helps my pump and injectors. jmo
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As our fuel was slowly modified over the years to be more 'environmentally friendly', it kinda left our old mechanical diesels with a bit of a problem. How to keep the old plunger injection pumps lubricated.

Stanadyne (a major manufacturer of fuel injection pumps) addressed this issue by marketing a 'high lubricity' additive to add to the fuel. It and other brands that have come to market over the years have been commonly used to keep the old injection systems working well.

I have used ATF as an additive in the past in farm tractor and truck engines. I can't see how it could cause any harm to any older mechanical injection diesel. I wouldn't consider it on any electronically controlled diesels.

These opinions are free, and are worth exactly what you paid me for them!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #7

This subject has been beaten to death over time.

ATF is a friction enhancer. It promotes friction. ATF helps the clutch surfaces in an automatic transmission "bite" by increasing the friction between them thus reducing slippage. If you put it in your fuel it will also increase/promote friction inside the fuel pump, lift pump (if applicable), injection pump and injectors which increases wear. No thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
So I did a google search on "does automatic transmission fluid add lubricity to diesel fuel?"

The results were amateurs (non-professionals) raved about it while professionals said dont. Most said the same thing about why, it's not designed to be burned and can leave ash deposits.

Stanadynes seemed to be the most recommended, here's a link to their faq's. Good reading. http://www.diamonddiesel.com/fueladd...-questions.pdf

This has been good for me as I didnt even realize low sulfur fuel was a bad thing, so I will be comparing the stanadyne stuff to lucas and will use something for sure.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I know a 30 year veteran diesel mechanic that has added atf to the fleet he is in charge of since the onset of his career. It may or may not be a great help (I dunno) but it must not be detrimental
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
This subject has been beaten to death over time.

ATF is a friction enhancer. It promotes friction. ATF helps the clutch surfaces in an automatic transmission "bite" by increasing the friction between them thus reducing slippage. If you put it in your fuel it will also increase/promote friction inside the fuel pump, lift pump (if applicable), injection pump and injectors which increases wear. No thanks!
So why don't auto trannies need rebuilding every 50,000 miles? They're full of pumps, valve bodies, bearings, and bushings?

The old mechanical diesels were a lot different than those of today, gas was added for power and easy starting, tranny fluid for lubrication and cleaning.

Modern diesels have very expensive and complex control and emission systems that are designed for a specific fuel but aren't designed for the additives in transmission fluid. With correct maintenance the engine will easily outlast the house, but adding tranny fluid, with additives for an entirely different purpose, seems like the wrong way to go. Especially when there are products designed to lubricate, clean, stop gelling, etc.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
So why don't auto trannies need rebuilding every 50,000 miles? They're full of pumps, valve bodies, bearings, and bushings
Anything inside an auto trans is designed with larger tolerances since they see so much heat and abuse. Tolerances in a fuel injection system are much much tighter.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #12

WOW, what a topic. glad to hear from all of you and i'll tell you, you all have good and strong opinions and I am very glad I asked. not sure what i'm going to do yet. no one has said that adding trans fluid to fuel was the cause of any damage to their engine which I think is the important thing for me right now.
thanks again. Gerry.
daddyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Adding transmission fluid to diesel fuel.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyo55 View Post
WOW, what a topic. glad to hear from all of you and i'll tell you, you all have good and strong opinions and I am very glad I asked. not sure what i'm going to do yet. no one has said that adding trans fluid to fuel was the cause of any damage to their engine which I think is the important thing for me right now.
thanks again. Gerry.
Make sure to let us know if you notice any difference after adding it to your fuel...........No manufacture of a diesel engine states in their manual to add transmission fluid or for that matter (my Cummins) anything to the fuel. Could be a very expensive experiment......
Why not call your engine manufacture and ask this question........
Further reading on this subject: http://www.agweb.com/article/modern-day_diesel/
Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #14

I've used ATF in some older engines it is a high detergent oil it will clean your fuel system. I work in construction the off road fuel is red, no HWY TAX. I personally have had the IRS Inspector come on a job site and dip our on road trucks looking for a red tint. I asked the agent what if I added ATF to the fuel? His answer you get a ticket and you have to prove it's not the off road fuel dye. The fine is very substantial per gallon of capacity. I hope this helps
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fluid, fuel