Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
transfer switch

my motorhome does not have a automatic transfer switch. I am looking at buying one but I cant see the benefit of installing one. what do u all think about transfer switches. also what brand do u recommend. thanks

Sardis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
you want to buy one, but you dont want to install it? Humm!! that doesnt really make any sense.

hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
well I wanted to buy one then got to thinking (which is scary) I don't really need one. what is the purpose of having one besides not having to unplug before turning on geny.
Sardis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Not terribly hard to install...

Cut off shore power cord about a foot from the interior wall and wire the footllong piece into the load side of the switch
The newly cut end of the cord goes into the other end of the switch
And the wiring from the generator goes into the same end of the switch as the shore power cord

I realize that it's more specific than this, but as a broad stroke, this is the general idea

If u can operate a wire stripper n a screwdriver and follow a few directions that come with the switch, it's really not that bad

Jus sayin...
2007 Travel Supreme Select Limited
La-Z-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
I would think that if you have an AC generator on your rv, you would want the safety of a good automatic transfer switch. As posted before, the installation and wiring are fairly straight forward. The switch takes the thinking and remembering about what needs to be done to switch from shore power to coach power, thus you can not forget to reset your ac input. Comfort thinking.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
why you should need one
the about transfer switches helps if you have a gen if you havea gen i am sure you have to plug your cord into a plug from the gen

now installing one make sure you get the gound to neutral right OR you well have a fire soon after
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
What is the best brand to install? Does it work with your surge protector?
countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
Not sure of any brand better than others, but I do know that you can buy one with built-in surge protection...
2007 Travel Supreme Select Limited
La-Z-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
Sardis22, Don't do it, Think this through and ask yourself why would you want to add more complexity to an already complex group of components?

I have had motor homes with a transfer switch and motor homes without a transfer switch. I prefer the ones without, I am either plugged in to a 30amp power pole or my 30 amp generator no question. No burned contacts, no delays, no question as to what is powering the coach.

But then there are folks that just need projects.
A wonderful Wife
Two children and 7 grand kids 1997 Four Winds Class C M-31QSB V-10
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's strictly a matter of convenience, and probably not a great deal of that. If you aren't cussing because you have to go outside and plug the shore cord to the genset outlet once in awhile, why waste your money on something you obviously don't need?

I'll have to disagree with JBDiscovery. There is absolutely no safety advantage to having an auto transfer switch. It's hard to get any safer than pulling a plug and it's near impossible for it to malfunction as well.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... Let me tell you the story of a park called Lakeshore and that tragic and fateful day (ok enough of The Ship That Never Returned)

Was sitting in one of my favorite campgrounds enjoying a solid 30 amps when FLASH, CRASH, SPLASH lightening, thunder and rain, I mean by the buckets it came down.. Suddenly the lights dimmed and the 120 volt stuff in the motor home stopped working.. Yup, power fail.

I stepped up to the driver's seat, tapped the approved pattern on the button and PUTT PUTT PUTT CLUNK lights brightened and 120 volt stuff went back to work.

And I never got rained on one drop.

And *THAT* Is why I love my transfer switch.

(not a one time occurance by the way)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with Gary. I have owned three motorhomes without a transfer switch and never had a problem. I am careful to always have everything off and the pole breaker and the rv breaker off when I plug and un plug. My new motorhome has a transfer switch and I still do the same thing. Everyday it seems someone is having problems with transfer switches. If mine ever goes bad I will probably not replace it unless it's still under warranty.

dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote