Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Transfer switch chatter when Genset powers down

I have a 99 Fleetwood Bounder. I can hear a relay/transfer switch chatter from the electrical panel cabinet every time my generator powers down, this is the only time I hear the chatter. Fleetwood tech said it was normal, I'm not sure I buy into that theory. Every things works fine on shore power, everything works fine on Gen power, however there is a power interrupt during the transfer back to shore power due to the chatter. The last post that I could fine on this subject was from 2014 and the condition was not the same. I would think there would be a time delay or capacitor discharge time constant eliminating the effects of generator voltage wind down. Anyone have experience with this? Is it a normal condition or abnormal condition? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #2

Bounder28T,
Well Sir, our last coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V, with the 275HP V-10 and F-53 chassis, did the SAME EXACT THING. It did it each and every time I went from gen to shore or gen to the small inverter we had for TV use. I really never paid any attention to it because, everything always worked. Lights, water pump, furnace, any and all 12V accessories. While I'd not heard this in other coaches, I just thought it was normal for mine. This is the first time I've read of it other than our old one. Is it actually NORMAL, who knows?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not expert in this area but do have a better than normal knowledge of RV systems and electricity. It has always been the recommendation of generator manufacturers to remove the load form a generator before shut down. Knowing that in most RV electrical systems the Generator becomes the default source. So if you are connected to shore power while the generator is running the transfer switch is connecting the power from the generator and if you shut it down while under power, it will throw a big hit on the transfer switch so I can see it chattering for a second or two and I believe that is going to be hard on the points. That said I never shut the generator down while under power. After shut down I then connect to shore power. Not sue if this answers the question or if it is even helpful. Just saying. Good Luck Richard
Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 2000 Bounder did the same exact thing until the transfer switch finally failed. The contacts just wore out and couldn’t be cleaned or filed.

I ended up replacing the switch. You can’t find an exact replacement anymore that will fit behind the power panel. I ended up replacing it with a Progressive Dynamics 5100 series ATS.

The switch itself looks identical to the original but is mounted in a box that I mounted on a self next to the power panel. Had to drill a hole between the power panel and the shelf and run some romex cable to hook it up.

No more chatter. Hope this helps.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

You are insuring you have turned off all high demand electrical appliances prior to switching power sources, right? That itself is a transfer switch killer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #6

Turn off power - disconnect from shore. Open the transfer switch, tighten all the connections.

Are the open or closed contactors? If open, you can polish the contact (google it).
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:01 AM   #7

Before I turn on my generator to exercise it on a monthly basis I always turn off the A/C (if running) and disconnect from shore power. After the genny is running I turn on the A/C to draw power. Before I turn off the genny I shut down the A/C, then turn off the genny and then re-connect to shore power. This is a softer transfer for the transfer switch.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:24 AM   #8

The Bounder owners manual says its normal. There was a post a few weeks back with a screen shot of them explaining it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The Bounder owners manual says its normal. There was a post a few weeks back with a screen shot of them explaining it.
twinboat, thank you, that is in line with the Fleetwood Tech's comments. It will chatter regardless of the load condition. I have disconnected and shut off everything just running the genset and it will chatter on the wind down. Typically I will have the fridge and microwave clock powered, I always shutdown the A/C, TV's, etc. Thanks again
Old 09-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
My 2000 Bounder did the same exact thing until the transfer switch finally failed. The contacts just wore out and couldn’t be cleaned or filed.

I ended up replacing the switch. You can’t find an exact replacement anymore that will fit behind the power panel. I ended up replacing it with a Progressive Dynamics 5100 series ATS.

The switch itself looks identical to the original but is mounted in a box that I mounted on a self next to the power panel. Had to drill a hole between the power panel and the shelf and run some romex cable to hook it up.

tada, thanks for this advice and part selection. I will ready myself for any future problems. Do you know why your new transfer switch doesn't chatter? Does it have newer features?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Bounder28T,
Well Sir, our last coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V, with the 275HP V-10 and F-53 chassis, did the SAME EXACT THING. It did it each and every time I went from gen to shore or gen to the small inverter we had for TV use. I really never paid any attention to it because, everything always worked. Lights, water pump, furnace, any and all 12V accessories. While I'd not heard this in other coaches, I just thought it was normal for mine. This is the first time I've read of it other than our old one. Is it actually NORMAL, who knows?
Scott
Fire up, thank you. How long did you own your Bounder? Did it do that chatter for years and did you ever have a failure?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Big Thank you to all

I wanted to thank all of you for your response to my posted "Chatter" question. I will be installing a solar system so while I'm in the control panel I will do some maintenance and check all of my connections and burnish contacts. When I'm done, I will test the generator with no loads and see if I still get chatter on wind down. I will post my findings. Thank you all again
Old 09-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder28T View Post
tada, thanks for this advice and part selection. I will ready myself for any future problems. Do you know why your new transfer switch doesn't chatter? Does it have newer features?
No newer features. It’s just that my contacts were worn out. Couldn’t be burnished any further. In hindsight, I probably could have replaced the original transfer switch with the one in the new box, but I had already removed it. With it now separate from the power panel, it’s easier to access and work on.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post

I found a Progressive Dynamics PD5110010V 5100 on Amazon. It comes with the new transfer switch/relay and a new circuit board that handles the time delay features and voltage sensing. I will add this ATS to my extensive spare parts inventory. Thank you again.

Tags
power, switch, transfer switch