RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Transfer Switch problem ITS-50R

Hello,
I have a Monaco Diplomat 2004 and I have an electric problem: My generator (which runs normally) doesn't provide the power to the coach. A few months ago I overloaded my generator by accidentally running two AC's, the coffee maker, the washer and a vacuum cleaner (please don't judge, my DW would get upset)
After 20 minutes fighting with our Inverter I finally realized that it's a good idea to check the fuse on the generator. So I solved that problem there. But a month later, while boondocking again, I started the gen, and there was no power. I've called a Monaco tech who told me that from the symptoms I gave him, the Transfer Switch got bad. Now the only way to have two AC's at the same time is to be connected to a Shore Power. In March, I also had to connect my coach to a building a few times (regular 15 or 10 Amp plug). And while plugging it, I was tripping a fuse in that building. After a several attempts I was finally able to connect and to run at least 1 AC (another problem is that my batteries then wanted to be charged and I didn't have enough power for the charger and the AC, so I tripped the fuse again). My original ATS is: IOTA ITS-50R and I know they are not available anymore.
My question is: what kind of Transfer Switch should I buy, and: what could cause the failure of the ATS? (I don't remember, but it's possible that we started a gen while being connected to a shore power once.)
Thanks,
Kuba

Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your Iota transfer switch was part of a recall and should have been replaced years ago but when Monaco went into bankruptcy the recalls fell through the cracks.

My transfer switch is LPT50BRD and is still available.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #3

I replaced mine a month or two ago with a basic SurgeGaurd transfer switch. I didnít get the one with surge protection because I have a Progressive Dynamics EMS protecting the coach.

Word of advice, get that IOTA out of there before using the coach again. Mine caught on fire while we were wintering in Florida. It is a disaster waiting to happen. Mine started tripping my home 20A circuit before it went.

By the way, my new switch is much heavier than the IOTA.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have an ESCO Power transfer switch, part number ES50-65N. It started making a fairly loud humming noise and I emailed ESCO.
They say the humming is normal, but their new design is silent.
The part number for the new switch is:
LPT50BRD
List price is $225 but you can find it for less.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well first I would like to say, you are lucky you did have more issues and a possible fire.
Now don't fret, your issues are a common one with RV's. In part it has to do with a lack of knowing what to check, how to check it,and how often to check it.
Basically your ATS lugs should be checked annually, I usually do this when I'm bringing the MH out of winter layup. They should all be tight and there should be no sign of melted wires coverings or burnt ends. If there is then you have a problem, such as the one you mentioned. Generator won't run all loads or any loads, can't run all loads on 50 amp shore power, melted ends on the shore power cable or burnt ends, shore power cable warm to the touch, this is due to high current which is due to bad connections.
Trust me been there done that 2X. Make sure when you check these things ALL power is secured, NO Shore Power, NO battery Power, NO generator power.
Now back to your problem, sounds like the ATS is done, on the generator side, so replace it. At the same time if you don't have on already invest in a in-line surge protector, this is a life saver and well worth the $300 or so bucks.
If you are not going to do the work your self then make sure check it all after the install is complete.
As far as starting the generator while on shore power it will not kill the ATS, that's what it is for, a buffer between shore and the generator. By default, mos are setup to switch to the generator if it is on.
Now I will admit you should not make it a habit of turning on the gen while hooked up to shore power and having the AC's going and such because its a big current load that has to switch and is not good for the AC's. The same goes for pulling into camp with the AC's going on the gen and hooking up shore power then just shutting down the gen. You are just asking for trouble down the road. Always shut down all loads before switching back and forth between shore and the gen, it's just good practice.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A few months ago I overloaded my generator by accidentally running two AC's, the coffee maker, the washer and a vacuum cleaner

At worst that would trip the breaker on the genset, so no worries about that. As others have said, your problem is the auto transfer switch (ATS), not the generator. It could be as simple as a loose wire or burned connection, but the original Iota ATS ought to be replaced regardless.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Well first I would like to say, you are lucky you did have more issues and a possible fire.
Now don't fret, your issues are a common one with RV's. In part it has to do with a lack of knowing what to check, how to check it,and how often to check it.
Basically your ATS lugs should be checked annually, I usually do this when I'm bringing the MH out of winter layup. They should all be tight and there should be no sign of melted wires coverings or burnt ends. If there is then you have a problem, such as the one you mentioned. Generator won't run all loads or any loads, can't run all loads on 50 amp shore power, melted ends on the shore power cable or burnt ends, shore power cable warm to the touch, this is due to high current which is due to bad connections.
Trust me been there done that 2X. Make sure when you check these things ALL power is secured, NO Shore Power, NO battery Power, NO generator power.
Now back to your problem, sounds like the ATS is done, on the generator side, so replace it. At the same time if you don't have on already invest in a in-line surge protector, this is a life saver and well worth the $300 or so bucks.
If you are not going to do the work your self then make sure check it all after the install is complete.
As far as starting the generator while on shore power it will not kill the ATS, that's what it is for, a buffer between shore and the generator. By default, mos are setup to switch to the generator if it is on.
Now I will admit you should not make it a habit of turning on the gen while hooked up to shore power and having the AC's going and such because its a big current load that has to switch and is not good for the AC's. The same goes for pulling into camp with the AC's going on the gen and hooking up shore power then just shutting down the gen. You are just asking for trouble down the road. Always shut down all loads before switching back and forth between shore and the gen, it's just good practice.
Well, thank you for your reply. I donít remember ever going to a campground with the generator and ACís going. I always turn it off before hooking up to a shore power. However, when I park my coach next to the house (connected to 50Amp plug), I exercise 1 hour run of the generator every 2 or 3 months. And next time Iíll make sure to disconnect from the shore power. So thank you for that advice.
I canít believe how many people warn me about this particular ATC and itís fire hazard!
When I open the box of the ATC, everything looks clean and no sign of burned connection, not even a smoky color. Looks like brand new. I assume itís that small electronic part which went bad.
So, is it possible that my ATC went bad on one of the campgrounds? I do not have a surge protector My bad.
Iím going to replaced my ATC this week in a RV service.
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
This, very much. Not only that, it's good practice to run the generator a few minutes after you start it to warm up before you put the load on it, and a few minutes with no load before you shut it down so it can cool.

Some of us don't realize how hard the thing works and how much heat that generates when it's pumping out thousands of Watts.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #9

here is a pic of my old iota and new progressive. look at wires on left. new on in box yet not installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170904_153046 (2).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	242131   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170910_183420.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	242132  

Old 04-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

This is what I replaced with, easy install nd lots of protection. PD52DCS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1413[7191].jpg
Views:	20
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	242144  
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
Well, thank you for your reply. I donít remember ever going to a campground with the generator and ACís going. I always turn it off before hooking up to a shore power. However, when I park my coach next to the house (connected to 50Amp plug), I exercise 1 hour run of the generator every 2 or 3 months. And next time Iíll make sure to disconnect from the shore power. So thank you for that advice.

I canít believe how many people warn me about this particular ATC and itís fire hazard!

When I open the box of the ATC, everything looks clean and no sign of burned connection, not even a smoky color. Looks like brand new. I assume itís that small electronic part which went bad.

So, is it possible that my ATC went bad on one of the campgrounds? I do not have a surge protector My bad.

Iím going to replaced my ATC this week in a RV service.

Thanks!

Mine looked new as well. I also checked my lugs every year for tightness.

I woke one morning in February up at 5:00 and looked at the time then fell back to sleep. Woke up later and there was no time displayed on the alarm so figured we lost power. Went into the kitchen and the time was on the microwave. Checked a few things and then got my meter and checked the transfer switch, one side was dead. Shortly after checking, sparks started flying out of my basement like someone was welding and fortunately I was outside and switched off the breaker on the pedestal. It burned a hole through the insulation and lining in the floor above the ATS in those few seconds it took me to kill the power.

I canít imagine what would have happened if the final total failure occurred while we were sleeping.

Please heed my warning, change it out before you travel with the coach again. I still shudder when I think what could have happened to us because of that IOTA ATS. I was aware there were issues with the IOTA ATS but thought because our year wasnít recalled and I kept the lugs tight we were okay. Boy was I wrong!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
This, very much. Not only that, it's good practice to run the generator a few minutes after you start it to warm up before you put the load on it, and a few minutes with no load before you shut it down so it can cool.

Some of us don't realize how hard the thing works and how much heat that generates when it's pumping out thousands of Watts.
True!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Mine looked new as well. I also checked my lugs every year for tightness.

I woke one morning in February up at 5:00 and looked at the time then fell back to sleep. Woke up later and there was no time displayed on the alarm so figured we lost power. Went into the kitchen and the time was on the microwave. Checked a few things and then got my meter and checked the transfer switch, one side was dead. Shortly after checking, sparks started flying out of my basement like someone was welding and fortunately I was outside and switched off the breaker on the pedestal. It burned a hole through the insulation and lining in the floor above the ATS in those few seconds it took me to kill the power.

I canít imagine what would have happened if the final total failure occurred while we were sleeping.

Please heed my warning, change it out before you travel with the coach again. I still shudder when I think what could have happened to us because of that IOTA ATS. I was aware there were issues with the IOTA ATS but thought because our year wasnít recalled and I kept the lugs tight we were okay. Boy was I wrong!
I absolutely believe you, and Iím going to replace the ATC this week (probably with ESCO LPT50BRD). Your and other stories are frightening. Iím glad youíre ok and I hope nothing similar or worse will ever happen to you again.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
I absolutely believe you, and Iím going to replace the ATC this week (probably with ESCO LPT50BRD). Your and other stories are frightening. Iím glad youíre ok and I hope nothing similar or worse will ever happen to you again.
Thanks for your reply.

That's great, hope all goes well. I did my installation at a campground and I am very pleased with the outcome.

I think you will find that the new ATS you plan to install will be of superior quality, I know I did.

Let us know how things go and if you find anything once the old ATS it out.

Tags
problem, switch, transfer switch