Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Here we go again. Amsoil has NEVER submitted its fluids to Allison for approval.
Of course not. It is chemically identical and Allison does not require it for use in their transmissions unless specified and required by a warranty or service agreement. And AMSOIL warrants against fluid failure anyway. Why should AMSOIL pay Allison for their approval and pass that expense on to customers?
Quote:
Amsoil says it meets the TES-295 spec, but they have not had it independently tested and the results submitted to Allison or any other major manufacturer of autos or trucks. It might work OK, but some reports of leaking transmission seals have been reported with its use. Stick to an APPROVED fluid for your RV.
Again, not required to be submitted to anyone. AMSOIL was the "First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use" in 1980. Their Torque Drive (TES-295) has been on the market without failure since 2002, independently tested by thousands of AMSOIL customers in real world applications. I'm sure if it didn't meet the spec, someone (a competitor, consumer agency or government agency) would have reported that in the past 8 years. Nobody has.

I'd rather pay less and get a better warranty. Has anyone seen the warranty that Castrol or Allison gives against fluid failure for a 1992 transmission? I haven't either... But AMSOIL does...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Our resident Amsoil peddler says that their synthetic transmission fluid meets TES-295. I just Googled Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid. Guess what - Their web site does NOT list TES-295 as a fluid theirs meets. What say you peddler?

Jim
I say look again. AMSOIL offers several full chemical synthetic transmission fluids. Look at AMSOIL Torque Drive.

Here it is again, direct from the amsoil.com website:

""AMSOIL Torque-Drive is recommended as a direct replacement for TranSynd Synthetic ATF in heavy duty, on- and off-highway automatic transmissions manufactured by Allison, General Motors, Ford, Voith and ZF or wherever the standards TES-295, TES-389, C-4, Dexron III, Mercon, Voith 55.6336.XX (G-1363) or ZF TE-ML 14C are specified. Examples of operations that benefit from using AMSOIL Torque-Drive include municipal or transit buses, motor coaches, garbage haulers, motor homes, delivery vans, emergency vehicles, school buses, dump trucks,
utility vehicles, cement trucks, line haul trucks and tow trucks."

It is also in large print on the front of the bottles.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing Amsoil sells has been tested or approved by Allison for use in their transmission that take TES-295 fluid.
You can use a non-TES-295 fluid but you can't use the longer change intervals, you have to use the older one for Dexron-III fluid.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Nothing Amsoil sells has been tested or approved by Allison for use in their transmission that take TES-295 fluid.
Exactly. Beware the unapproved!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Any proof that Allison has never tested AMSOIL? I would guess they have as they have taken a bite out of their sales and profits. And it would have likely passed or Allison would be crying "foul".
Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
a k

Newmar Owners Club
What is the price of Amsoiled compared to TranSynd? Anybody? The upper post said it is recommended but it doesn't say approved. Am I missing something?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Exactly. Beware the unapproved!
What does Allison approval get you for a 1992 transmission, besides a lighter wallet and no written warranty should the fluid fail???
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
What does Allison approval get you for a 1992 transmission, besides a lighter wallet and no written warranty should the fluid fail???
Oh, perhaps a transmission that doesn't suffer from leaking seals? We've been down this road before DO. To the OP, I agree, a transmission temp gauge would be step #1, for about $50. Then, if temperature is an issue, install an auxiliary tran cooler. If you think synthetic fluid will help, buy one that is APPROVED bu Allison, not snake oil.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Oh, perhaps a transmission that doesn't suffer from leaking seals? ... If you think synthetic fluid will help, buy one that is APPROVED bu Allison, not snake oil.
Since the AMSOIL is identical to Transynd, why would one cause leaking seals and the other not? And one snake oil and the other not? I've never heard of AMSOIL causing leaking seals. I have over 400 customers for the past 8 years. None have ever complained of leaking seals or any other performance complaint. AMSOIL was making synthetic ATF longer than anyone. Allison never has...

Buy the less expensive of the two. And the one that will pay to fix or replace the transmission in the event of fluid failure like AMSOIL.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
Buy the less expensive of the two. And the one that will pay to fix or replace the transmission in the event of fluid failure like AMSOIL.
WHO determines it was a fluid failure that causes transmission injury? I don't think Amsoil's warrantee is worth the paper its printed on. Save on fluid now, pay big bucks to have transmission rebuilt or replaced later.

As I said before, this thread is about adding a transmission cooler, not Amsoil.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last pricing I saw someone post was that Amsoil was about $10 a gallon more than TranSynd.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #26

Quote:
WHO determines it was a fluid failure that causes transmission injury?
Any 3rd party expert that the parties agree to.
Quote:
I don't think Amsoil's warrantee is worth the paper its printed on.
You may not, but the government and consumer agencies seem to. Amsoil has no complaints on their products or warranty with any consumer agency or government agency.
Quote:
Save on fluid now, pay big bucks to have transmission rebuilt or replaced later.
Save money now and pay nothing to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced later should the fluid fail with AMSOIL.

I also prefer to purchase from an American company like AMSOIL with an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau as opposed to British Castrol (British Petroleum Lubricants USA) that earned an F rating with the BBB.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #27

Does anyone ever get tired of AMSOIL salesmen trolling to hype their stuff?

I sure do.

If the transmission manufacturer thought it was important to run that stuff, they would have spec'd it.

There's only one place on ANY of my vehicles that the manufacturer specs synthetic, and that is the rear drive differential on my truck.

Any of the automotive-related forums that I frequent specifically ban AMS dealers.

Have the admins of this one considered doing likewise?

Tired of it..... just tired!

Pop
Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Last pricing I saw someone post was that Amsoil was about $10 a gallon more than TranSynd.
Care to provide a link to that post? Call your local Transynd dealer for their current price. . Buy the lowest price if that is important to you since they are identical. Ask them for a copy of their free warranty for a 1992 transmission too...

Tags
transmission