Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

Transmission fluid change.

I have 2005 Fleetwood Expedition that is on a Freightliner chassis.

My question is has anyone changed the fluid and filters on the Allison transmission themselves ? So far I have done all of my own preventive maintience except for this. I am not having any problems with the transmission and the fluid looks fine. Maybe I should leave well enough alone ?

Any feedback is appreciated , Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #2

I change the fluid on my MH3000 Allison. It's not that big of a deal to change. These transmissions have a pair of big filters that should be changed. There are several videos around that shows have to change them. It is critical to get the cover bolt torque values correct.

I am in the 2003/2004 year range and when I pull my trans dip stick it states to use Dextron III only. That's what I do. Many use the newer fluid when costs about 50 bucks per gallon. Dextron III is 12 bucks per gallon.

It's worth changing the trans fluid since it is a $15,000 piece of equipment!!!

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
I have 2005 Fleetwood Expedition that is on a Freightliner chassis.

My question is has anyone changed the fluid and filters on the Allison transmission themselves ? So far I have done all of my own preventive maintience except for this. I am not having any problems with the transmission and the fluid looks fine. Maybe I should leave well enough alone ?
Any feedback is appreciated , Thanks.
expedition1
Changing the fluid and filters in an Allison M3060 is not difficult.
Here's a filter change how to video:
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I do my 06 Alison six speed, and it's easy! Takes a boat load of fluid, but the filters are inside two round plates that bolt off and on. The biggest PITA is getting rid of all that fluid, but Home Depot sells 5 gallon buckets with lids!! Go to Home Depot and get 2 mortar mixing pans, one for a drain pan. I place the bucket in the second mixing pan as I first scoop then pour the fluid out of the first, if you spill, it ends up in thesecond pan. Probably saves $$, good excuse to drink beer, and impresses the wife.

"Remember, if she don't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy." Red Green
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #5

Lots of conversation on when to change fluid in your Allison, eg, filters every 3 years, fluid every 4 years. Probably every three years with Dex III vs Transynd. I asked the midwest Allison Reps at FMCA [Madison] last summer. I told them I had settled on doing both fluid and filters every 4 years, which is about 50k miles. They said--"sounds good!" There are fluid analysis outfits like JG Labs that will test fluid--assumption being you can go well beyond 4 years with Transynd if your annual test says the fluid is ok. I like the idea of using Transynd and changing every 4 years--then test every other years to make sure nothing has gone wrong in the interim.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Yes, I have. It is just like an oil change and filters.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:12 AM   #7

How do I go about figuring out what my sump is ? I noticed they talk about a 2 or 4 inch. Guess I will need to know that before I pick up my filters and for the correct qty. of fluid.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #8

i did on my md3066 with fleetrite - a brand of international truck transynd equivalent, about $36/g 2 years ago. as only as you torque the bolts to the spec, there is not much difference than an oil change.

as for 2 or 4 inch filter, probably you can find out by calling allison with the trans serial no which should be on your build sheet or a sticker on the back of a cabinet door in the bathroom. mine is 2".
Old 12-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #9

Transmission fluid change.

I did my on you will need a torque wrench and remember trans case is aluminum so be careful removing any gasket no to groove or scratch case.
It will also make it easier to refill will a little hand pump or drill pump.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
How do I go about figuring out what my sump is ? I noticed they talk about a 2 or 4 inch. Guess I will need to know that before I pick up my filters and for the correct qty. of fluid.
expedition1
To find the fluid capacity of, (and which filters to use in), your YOUR PARTICULAR Allison transmission call Allison at 800-252-5283 with your transmission serial number and ask.

For the oil capacity of YOUR PARTICULAR Cummins engine call Cummins Care at 800-343-7357 with your engine serial number.

(If you have a Caterpillar engine call the Cat RV Hotline 877 777-3126).

Mel
'96 Safari, M3060 Allison, 250 hp 3126 Cat
Old 12-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we also have a Allison Transmission forum in IRV2.. Top of the page Rv forums
Old 12-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Lots of conversation on when to change fluid in your Allison, eg, filters every 3 years, fluid every 4 years. Probably every three years with Dex III vs Transynd. I asked the midwest Allison Reps at FMCA [Madison] last summer. I told them I had settled on doing both fluid and filters every 4 years, which is about 50k miles. They said--"sounds good!" There are fluid analysis outfits like JG Labs that will test fluid--assumption being you can go well beyond 4 years with Transynd if your annual test says the fluid is ok. I like the idea of using Transynd and changing every 4 years--then test every other years to make sure nothing has gone wrong in the interim.....
Pages 5 and 6 of this Allison service tips document provides the official recommendations changing both filters and Transynd fluid for the transmissions found in most MH's: http://www.rvmobilelube.com/1099c.pdf

To summarize the recommendations for the 3000 and 4000 series transmissions which are in most MHs, filters should be changed on a 75,000 miles, 3000 hours or 36 month basis; fluid should be changed on a 150,000 mile, 2000-3000 hour or 48 month basis. I've been changing filters on a 3-4 year basis and I've been having JG Labs analyze the fluid to ensure that it is within spec.

Since my usage, like that of many RVers, is far below the recommended hour limits I am comfortable with this approach. I would estimate that my typical 10,000 mile annual mileage translates to less than 250 hours a year of operation which means that it will take me ~16 years to get to the recommended 4,000 hour change interval for normal operation.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have my trans fluid analyzed by JG Labs as well. As long as it comes back okay, there is no reason to change the fluid.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
There is a tag riveted to the bottom side of the transmission that has the model and SN of your transmission. With thin information you should be able to determine sump depth.

After I bought my coach I called a local authorized service center for Allison, they quoted $650 to change oil and filter. I did it myself for ~$250, the first time I dropped the pan and did a fluid change. The second time I just did the filters.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, transmission