Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #1

Transmission fluid for DP's

I asked in an earlier thread for what "toolkit items" are recommended to be carried in a DP as a matter of course. I got GREAT advise (some of which has already come in handy!).

One item not mentioned is extra transmission fluid (Allison, or course). Nobody recommended extra of this be carried, AND YET, the recommended pre-trip inspection includes checking the transmission fluid level.

My question for the community is this: is it worth my time/space to carry extra transmission fluid, or do the Allison's so seldom need fluid added that it is not worth my time to carry it, and pick it up when/if needed??

Thank you for all of your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Transmissions don't use fluid. They can leak it, but will never use it. If u regularly have a puddle of trans fluid under your rv, either fix the leak, or carry enuf spare trans fluid to feed it.

Short of a new failure, u won't need to add fluid to your trans.
Check it b4 u leave should be good unless u see a puddle.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It would depend on whether your Allison has Dextron III or Transsynd. I've never carried any and never had to add any. I did have my fluid changed a year ago and went with Transsynd which is the only fluid Allison recommends now.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #4

As noted above, the trans will not "use" fluid, therefore I don't carry any extra. One word of caution, be sure you know what fluid is in your trans before you do anything to it.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
It is best to check the transmission fluid "post trip" meaning that you use the touch pad to check the fluid level. The fluid has to be hot to get an accurate check. I usually do this when I pull into a rest stop while waiting for a short cool down.

Put the trans in neutral, hit the up and down arrows and wait for the countdown. It will count backwards from 8 down to 1 and then read OL ok or OL -1 or -2, etc. The OL stands for "oil" the OK means the level is fine and anything with a minus number is how many quarts the trans is low.

The dipstick is pretty much meaningless.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I check mine before I leave, never had to add any. I figure if I have to add some on the road, the leak is more than just a little one, and will probably require a tow into an Allison shop for repair.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346
It is best to check the transmission fluid "post trip" meaning that you use the touch pad to check the fluid level. The fluid has to be hot to get an accurate check. I usually do this when I pull into a rest stop while waiting for a short cool down.

Put the trans in neutral, hit the up and down arrows and wait for the countdown. It will count backwards from 8 down to 1 and then read OL ok or OL -1 or -2, etc. The OL stands for "oil" the OK means the level is fine and anything with a minus number is how many quarts the trans is low.

The dipstick is pretty much meaningless.
Dons2347 - I did not even realize the Allison had an electronic check for level . Do you hit both arrows at the same time???
Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Dons2347 - I did not even realize the Allison had an electronic check for level . Do you hit both arrows at the same time???

If the info is not in your manual, post the model number and someone can give you a checklist for checking oil. For my old MD3060 I can not only check my oil I can check diagnostics all from the keypad.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Yep, punch the up and down arrows at the same time.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #10

Greystroke - yes, the information is in the manual I just did not read far enough to get to it . I got as far as "check the tranny fluid" and "here is the dipstick", and "here is how you put it in gear" and "this is what you need to do to let it cool down" ... I have been on help lines often myself when I mumbled "RTFM" ... I am embarrased to say I did not do so myself . This is a brand new unit (Allison 3000/4000 - not sure which right now) with the 4th gen. electronic selector... and it definitely says, right on page 64 of the manual, that you press both the up-arrow and down-arrow simultaneously

Thank you all - it is cool to know this capability exists!

Tags
fluid, transmission