Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #1

Transmission problem with Newmar motorhome.

I own a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star class a gas motorhome and on our way travelling to our destination the transmission started jumping or surging ahead between 4th and 5th gear on us and so we pulled off into a flying j and checked the fluid and it was down a little bit and so I topped it up and we let the motorhome rest for awhile and then took off again and ran fine to a Walmart we stayed at for the night.The next morning we take off and about 40 miles down the road and the motorhome starts surging again between 4th and 5th gear and the engine light comes and a range finder indicator light comes on and so I pull off into a truck stop and open the hood and it is really hot under the hood.We finally find a transmission place that repairs motorhomes and he told us to just let the motorhome cool off for a bit and that he was 20miles away and to just take it easy in 3rd to4th gear which we did and made it to his shop and he put his scanner on it and there was a major air flow sensor code showing up and that the transmission seemed to be good.So we drove to our campsite and it worked fine.When we found out he could/nt get the part for a few days he said if we could/nt wait around that the transmission would get us home.So as we were leaving the park to come home I put the motorhome in drive and it did/nt move for about 10sec. and then there was a clunck and then it moved off and drove fine until we stopped that night.The next morning I checked the tranny fluid and it was fine and so I put it in drive and again it would/nt move for about 15sec. and then there was a clunk noise again then it moved off fine and got us home with no problem.When we got home we replaced the air flow sensor and I went to take it out for a test drive out of the driveway and put it in drive and did/nt move for about 10sec. and then there was another clunk and then it moved but would/nt come out of 1st gear and the range limiter lighter came on and so I just drove around the block and put it back in the driveway and was just wondering if anybody else has had this kind of problem with there Allison transmission and what to look for.Sorry about this post being so long.
Cruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #2

There is not much you can look for. It sounds to me like you have an internal leak. Could be a seal, worn clutches or even a crack in the trans. case among other things. The MH needs to go to a transmission shop and a pressure test done on the trans.
There is a remote possibility the filter(s) could be partially plugged. If that's the case replacing the filters may help temporarily but whatever plugged the filters will plug them again.
Lynn
Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't sound like you have the skills to dig into a transmission repair yourself, so you need professional help. Find a shop that handles your brand (is it Ford or Allison transmission?), but it ain't gonna be cheap.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #4

I would take it that since you are gas it has the Ford Torque Shift trans. I had the same problem with mine last year and turned out to be torque converter. Don't mean to be bearer of bed tidings.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

No I think it's Chevy 454.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
Any GM Dealer could repair a Workhorse chassis, if they chose to do so. Some will relegate the work to one of their heavy-duty truck centers, pretty much the same way Ford handles their motor home chassis (F-53, E-350, E-450, F-450).

If there is a Rush Truck Center nearby, some of them are good at diagnosing Allison transmission problems.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
From your description, it sounds like the engine idle could be a little fast. If the engine is idling too fast, the Allison will not allow it to shift into gear. The ten second wait may have been a window that the rpm dropped and then banged into gear. This is just a suspicion, but you said the shift inhibitor light came on, which often means the engine is idling too high for the Allison to shift.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
2004 Kountry Star would be either Workhorse or Ford. If Workhorse, its an 8.1L (496 cid) with a 5 spd Allison. If Ford its a V10 with the Ford tranny. I'm betting its a Workhorse.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruncher View Post
I own a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star class a gas motorhome and on our way travelling to our destination the transmission started jumping or surging ahead between 4th and 5th gear on us and so we pulled off into a flying j and checked the fluid and it was down a little bit and so I topped it up and we let the motorhome rest for awhile and then took off again and ran fine to a Walmart we stayed at for the night.The next morning we take off and about 40 miles down the road and the motorhome starts surging again between 4th and 5th gear and the engine light comes and a range finder indicator light comes on and so I pull off into a truck stop and open the hood and it is really hot under the hood.We finally find a transmission place that repairs motorhomes and he told us to just let the motorhome cool off for a bit and that he was 20miles away and to just take it easy in 3rd to4th gear which we did and made it to his shop and he put his scanner on it and there was a major air flow sensor code showing up and that the transmission seemed to be good.So we drove to our campsite and it worked fine.When we found out he could/nt get the part for a few days he said if we could/nt wait around that the transmission would get us home.So as we were leaving the park to come home I put the motorhome in drive and it did/nt move for about 10sec. and then there was a clunck and then it moved off and drove fine until we stopped that night.The next morning I checked the tranny fluid and it was fine and so I put it in drive and again it would/nt move for about 15sec. and then there was a clunk noise again then it moved off fine and got us home with no problem.When we got home we replaced the air flow sensor and I went to take it out for a test drive out of the driveway and put it in drive and did/nt move for about 10sec. and then there was another clunk and then it moved but would/nt come out of 1st gear and the range limiter lighter came on and so I just drove around the block and put it back in the driveway and was just wondering if anybody else has had this kind of problem with there Allison transmission and what to look for.Sorry about this post being so long.
Yes,it is a workhorse chassis with an Allison transmission and thanx for the replies.
Cruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

I am suspicious of the clunk and the delay based on your description. Is the automatic parking brake disconnecting properly? Note that it does take several seconds to disengage so trying to apply power immediately could be the clunk you hear. If it is dragging, that "might" be the source of the transmission issues.

I would try parking on a slight incline so the coach will roll, shift from park to neutral and the immediately take your foot off the brake. See if it rolls immediately or when the clunk occurs.

I believe you have the J71 parking brake, and there are some known weaknesses with that system. If you suspect the parking brake, there is lots of information in the Workhorse forum of this website.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

I sure wish I could help but I'm far from being a mechanic! Hope you can find a cheap answer. Those trannys can be really expensive I hear!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #12

The Allison transmissions are available rebuilt which would save time if that is a factor
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #13

It sounds to me like a torque converter issue, too. Someone mentioned that above. It might be easy -- sensor for the lock-up or lock-up valve not working. Or it may be not so easy -- stator failure or the stator shaft worn. Do you run at or over gvwr? Tow heavy? The transmission limit is one of the factors that determines gvw and towing capacity. Does the engine or transmission run hotter than it should? This could be why.

$0.02
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #14

Oh-- and an oddball thing that happened to me: same basic symptoms. Delayed start, clunk on takeoff, bucking and surging, especially during the shift to top gear. I did all the reasonable stuff, short of an R/R. Then I started going over everything with my IR thermometer. When I got to the brakes I found three corners at about 115f. The right rear was +400f!

A chunk of brake lining had broken off a shoe and was intermittently wedging in the works. Easy fix once I found it, but I got old looking for it.

Good luck!
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, newmar, problem, transmission