Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #15

Om my 2006 Itasca Sunrise 33v the only required service at 5000 miles was to change the spin off transmission fluid.

2006 Itasca 33V
roaminhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #16

I'm not sure about the 75000 mi change? in my freightliner maintence manual it say's 12 monthes or 25000 mi wichever come's first this book came with my 06 journey with c7 mh3000. this is with the transynd fluid . it's on page 26/2 anyone else have this in there freightliner book? <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Sarge,

Check your Allison manual again. If you have Transsynd (which I am sure you do) you only need to change the filter(s?) at 5000 miles. You don't need to change fluid until 3 years/75,000 miles.

I'd give a call to Allison to clarify this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 02-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #17

Check the Allison Transmission web site
Allison Transmission Service Intervals.

Check the model of your transmission, and your s/n series.

For 3000 MH transmissions prior to s/n 6510670912 the filter interval (for main and lube/auxiliary) is 75K mi/36 mos and for a fluid change it is 150k mi/48 mos for 100% TranSynd fluids.

There is an initial 5K mi main filter change and fluid top off.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:04 AM   #18

I like your interval alot better then the one i'm reading $$. do you have the freightliner maintenance manual in your black binder that came with your journey? check out section 26 pg 2 and see what you make of it
Old 02-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boilermkr:
I like your interval alot better then the one i'm reading $$. do you have the freightliner maintenance manual in your black binder that came with your journey? check out section 26 pg 2 and see what you make of it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just talked with Freightliner, and they confirmed my suspicion. The Freightliner manual's shorter intervals are for those transmissions w/ a mix of TranSynd and non-TranSynd fluid. Winnebago has been specifiying 100% TranSynd for a few years (not sure when they started). My coach has a label in the rear engine compartment stating '100% TranSynd Transmision Fluid'.

Therefore, if you know you have 100% TranSynd, the longer intervals I previously posted are correct. If you do not, then you must change your fluid TWICE using the Non-TranSynd intervals (with TranSynd) before you can assume you have 100% TranSynd, and then go to the longer intervals.

Call Freightliner with the last 6 digits of your VIN and they can tell you what you have. Then go to the Allison website I previously posted for the correct filter and fluid change intervals.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #20

Great job Don. Also thanks for all the research and time you put in. That's why this is such a great site!! Heck, saved me a bunch of money

So now, has anyone changed out there own trans filter? How much fluid spills out when you pull the cover?? Would you do it again??

Thanks!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 AM   #21
paz

SargeW, the external filter is easy to change. If you are very careful (especially just as you reach the end of the threads as you unscrew), you will only spill a few drops of fluid. Put a pan underneath just in case. You may need a filter wrench to get the filter started. Make sure you retrieve the magnetic ring and install it on the new filter. Fill the new filter with transmission fluid before you install it and you probably won't need to add any addtitional fluid.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #22

Sarge,

These rigs are expensive enough. I hate spending money where I don't have to. I'd rather put it in the tank in the form of 'diesel'.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #23

Paz,
Both filters on mine are internal. Both the main and the lube filter are on the bottom surface of the tranny, right next to each other. That's why i'm a little unsure about how much fluid is lost when you remove the cover.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #24

When I did the initial filter change on my Journey, I "lost" about 1.5 quarts of fluid making the change. After the filter change and an oil change, take your RV out for a test run and get it up to temperature and you can use the internal Allison controls to tell you how much fluid to add. I took a look at what came out into my drain pan, added approximately that much back in via new fluid, then took the test drive and measured using the transmission controls to check the level. The process is covered in your Freightliner owners manual.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
SargeW,
For us RVers, the least we can buy is one gallon. Buy the main filter kit and one gallon of fluid. There are instructions in the kit and a diagram in your manual. There should be no fluid loss when you remove the bottom cover. There will be a bit of fluid loss when you remove the filter. The same size pan you use to collect the oil from your cars will do. Pre fill the main filter and follow the instructions for replacement. Replace via the filler tube about how much was lost removing the filter. You'll have some of that gallon left over. Be careful to get the seal in correctly.

The bottom line is of all the filters I have to replace, this was located in a difficult place, but overall was the easiest filter to replace.

On edit, the part number for the filter kit was 29540496. The part number for one gallon of Transynd was 27101-CTCS. I do not know if these part numbers are from Allison or the authorized distributor.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Don,
We are together with your thoughts. In the USA, the published maintenance schedules are very conservative. Products are better and more expensive. If I'm buying top of the line, Brand name and paying the price the product had better perform to the published maintenance schedule. Each must do what they are comfortable with.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just an FYI related to costs for Allison service in my area....

Local Detroit Diesel/Allison shop gave me an estimate of $200 - $225 for a fluid and 2 filter change on my 3000MH using Dexron. The previous owner of my rig dumped the Transynd and used Dexron (according the the service ticket) at 30,000 miles. Since I will likely not keep this rig for more that 2 -3 years, I don't plan to go back to Transynd at this point.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #28

Gary,

Do you know why the previous owner dumped the TranSynd and went to Dexron? Maybe in the name to save a few $$'s?

Too bad, as this really would extend your service intervals.

Per your prior post, I also did not pay attention to the 12 month interval w/ Dexron on my '00 Journey until the last 2 years.

I'm glad I'm now 100% TranSynd.