Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Transmission/Towing Question

I have a 35' 1996 Damon Intruder. 460 Ford Engine and Ford Transmission. We traveled from California to the East Coast towing a 2008 GMC Canyon. I recently noticed that when it shifts out of OD, there is sometimes a sort of roaring sound. Not sure if it's coming from the transmission or engine. It's not very loud and the tachometer doesn't move, so don't think the tranny is slipping. We are in Amarillo TX right now, getting ready to leave in the morning. We have another $1,400 miles to go. Does this sound like I have anything to worry about? Thank you!
tjmezzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #2

Probably the fan clutch is engaging, to pull more air through the radiator under load. It makes a pronounced roar that spooks some folks.......... JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

The 460 coach's have a notorious fan noise. If you have a forced downshift into 3rd and hear the noise with the increased engine RPMs im guessing it is the fan. On that transmission the only thing that occurs on the 4-3 downshift is the OD clutch releases. No other clutchs apply or releases. Every upshift does not have a clutch that releases, more clutchs apply only. Downshifts clutchs releases.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If the RPMs aren't changing and there's no expensive sounding clunks or jerks, I think it is probably the radiator fan as pivotdoc suggested.

Interesting you measure distance by dollars ($) instead of miles!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #5

Thanks to everyone for responding! Knowing it's probably just a fan noise makes me feel much better! I needed the confidence to drive this thing the rest of the way home! Love this forum!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive a workhorse so it's an Chevy 8.1L but.. Same thing, when that main engine fan kicks in PLUG YOUR EARS
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

My Intruder is a 2002 with the Workhorse chassis. I have had it just over 2 years and have learned that the roar is normal and tells me everything is fine! It took me longer to understand the higher pitched noise when the radiator fans kick in as the engine gets warmer. Just happened to be looking at the temp gauge and noticed that when it went back down to normal, the noise (of the fans) stopped!
It is an every day learning experience. Just today I found breakers in the bedroom and got some outlets to work that I thought were dead. Also figured out how to light pilot and use oven! Life is good.....
rt749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:34 PM   #8

rt749,
The sound I hear is not really high pitched. More of a deep roar. It happens mostly when I have at it in OD to make it up the hill and as it goes over the crest and starts down, the roar happens. As I go down the hill, it slowly subsides. From all of the experienced responses, I am sticking with it being the fan clutch. Thanks again to everyone.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
That's exactly how it sounds and acts going over the top of a hill...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmezzan View Post
rt749,
The sound I hear is not really high pitched. More of a deep roar. It happens mostly when I have at it in OD to make it up the hill and as it goes over the crest and starts down, the roar happens. As I go down the hill, it slowly subsides. From all of the experienced responses, I am sticking with it being the fan clutch. Thanks again to everyone.
Overdrive is to reduce RPMs and used on flat ground when HP is sufficient to keep vehicle moving without lugging the engine. Do you really use OD to go up hills?? It would certainly raise temperatures as engine is working harder at lower RPMs, causing coolant to circulate slower. Your 460 is modified to be a truck engine, getting it's torque at lower RPMs than a car 460. Maximum torque is probably around 2,200 - 2,800 RPM. Try to keep engine turning within those limits and you'll climb hills better, with less heat (and the noisy fan) and put less stress on your engine.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #11

My bad. I get the in and out of OD reversed in my head. OD is off going up the hill, as you said. If it was in OD I probaby wouldn't even make it up the hill to begin with. Thanks.

Tags
tow, towing, transmission