Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Transport Suggestions?

Hi

I FINALLY think I've found my new to me RV. Except I'm in TX and the coach is in FL. I might fly out to drive it back - details not determined yet but wondering if you all have any recommendations for a service that drives Class A's to their destinations? (it will have a Tow vehicle as well)

Thanks!
GN2ZDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #2

Where in Fl is it and where in Tx are you? Have you laid eyes on this MH or just seen the ad?

You can get some pretty cheap air fairs between say DFW and Orlando just for example.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hire an RV transporter service. Just Google 'motorhome transport service' and you will find several. Can be driven or loaded on a truck. Or train.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

I've only seen photos so far and spoken to one of the owners (wife) They FT in it for a year but really never drove it anywhere. Bought it from original owners in 2014.

After speaking to husband, will see about setting up an inspection. (Independence RV is close by and a Newmar Dealer) They need it gone by end of month so that gives me some leverage, but still need to work fast. A bit worried that it has sat for a while.... welcome any thoughts on this. Is coming with a 2000 model Chevy toad.

Thinking about flying out to pick up and final inspect.... but looking at all options.

Its near Orlando and Im in North TX close to OK border
Old 09-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
No way I buy sight unseen. The flight out there is simple insurance, that's all. And you need to be ready to walk away.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

I would very likely fly out to see it before finalizing the deal.

What are peoples thoughts about an RV that was used for FTiming for a year and only driven for about 10-15 miles every 2 months or so to keep things fluid?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

Not driven for more than a year? I wouldn't go anywhere near a motor home like that.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Farm equipment sits for long periods between use on farms with no problems. Just needs to be checked out thoroughly but even that won't detect some problems like we had. Our ISX blew 2,600 miles after purchase for the second time and I know of another ISX that blew 20 miles away from the Cummins shop it had just been "repaired" at. Total on that last one was $20,000 to get it running at Cummins and $44,000 to repair it (no warranty)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 AM   #9

Unfortunately I've rarely seen an RV or car that is exactly as sellers describe it. Even if they are not intentionally trying to deceive you. Ive gone to look at various campers and the minute you see them you realize there is something about it you don't like that the pictures or descriptions didn't point out (like smells).

I don't think you've mentioned the make or year of this RV. If its a newer unit, maybe you found a gem. Sitting around for a year just being occasionally driven is not ideal, but not necessarily bad. If its an older unit maybe there's a reason the current owners are not driving it. Tires might need replacing, needs engine maintenance or whatever.

If this were me and I thought I'd found my dream coach, I'd plan a couple of day trip, fly out and give it a good inspection and if everything checked out close the deal and drive it home.

The Tow car is an added complication. Another power train, set of tires and all that to wonder about. Not to mention the tow set up and what kind of shape that's in.

I've been out to Independence looking at Newmar's. Seems like a decent place, but I can't vouch for their ability to do an inspection or what that would be worth. Have you owned a MH before?
Old 09-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #10

The coach is a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3910

The people have moved to NCarolina and selling the coach that is in FL. Its been at the RV park for a year while the owners Full Timed in it. Was told it was driven every 1.5/2 months to get it rolling. Sounds like they went on highway for 10-15 miles.

I need a tow car but don't have much info on this one.

I've rented but not owned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Unfortunately I've rarely seen an RV or car that is exactly as sellers describe it. Even if they are not intentionally trying to deceive you. Ive gone to look at various campers and the minute you see them you realize there is something about it you don't like that the pictures or descriptions didn't point out (like smells).

I don't think you've mentioned the make or year of this RV. If its a newer unit, maybe you found a gem. Sitting around for a year just being occasionally driven is not ideal, but not necessarily bad. If its an older unit maybe there's a reason the current owners are not driving it. Tires might need replacing, needs engine maintenance or whatever.

If this were me and I thought I'd found my dream coach, I'd plan a couple of day trip, fly out and give it a good inspection and if everything checked out close the deal and drive it home.

The Tow car is an added complication. Another power train, set of tires and all that to wonder about. Not to mention the tow set up and what kind of shape that's in.

I've been out to Independence looking at Newmar's. Seems like a decent place, but I can't vouch for their ability to do an inspection or what that would be worth. Have you owned a MH before?
Old 09-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #11

Sounds like an interesting situation. There are several RV transport companies I found on Google so it might be worth seeing what they charge to transport. Probably not cheap. I assume the cost of flying to Orlando and driving it back home would be cheaper.

The only advice I can offer is to go out there willing to walk away if the coach isn't what you want or if it has mechanical issues upon inspection. As I said before, based on the age I'd think things like tires, engine belts possibly brakes need attention. You have to put stuff like that in your budget.

My son found a motorcycle on craigslist a few months ago and was going to drive from Orlando out to Myrtle Beach SC to buy it alone. I went with him because the deal sounded a bit funky and he was carrying a few thousand dollars in cash and I was concerned this might be a scam. Turned out the bike was exactly as advertised, the people were cool and everything worked out. You never know.

Hope things work out for you, let us know
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Hire an RV transporter service. Just Google 'motorhome transport service' and you will find several. Can be driven or loaded on a truck. Or train.

I would not recommend a train unless you like graffiti.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #13

Im too nervous to buy it when its been sitting that long. Not knowledgeable enough and dont have a ton of extra cash to fix what might be wrong. Still looking 😔