Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Transporting boat fuel in basement - boaters please

I know little about boating. I drag race, and when we leave for a race, typically the generator starts on Friday night and runs until Sunday night. So I need enough fuel for that length.

But first, some background. This is a diesel pusher, with a propane generator. Now the best option would be a diesel generator, but that isn't in the budget. We do use a portable often during the day, but the little thing struggles with air conditioner, and won't run two when we need two. The propane will not make it through a weekend, and filling is a real issue for me. There is nowhere close to fill, and this would be a weekly occurrence. So I have converted my Onan to gasoline (fun project), and now need to come up with a decent fuel source.

My first thought was to mount a permanent tank either under if I could find a place, or in the basement. Filler necks get a little complicated, and no way I want to fill inside the basement. But portable marine tanks are easy to throw in the truck, and easy to hook up without spilling anything due to the quick connects. My only concern is exterior venting. I want to be able to vent them outside the basement instead of using the cap.

Anyone deal with this or have ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

I'd share your concerns as far as storing gasoline in the basement. Just wouldn't do it. Too many "closed compartments" and too many ignition sources. We do carry 2 extra 20# propane cylinders in the enclosed back of the pickup. I hook these to the RV system (tank outside on the ground) so when boondocking I don't have to pack the whole rig up and go to town to refill propane. When stored in the pickup we sometimes transport a full size 17 cu ft freezer (running to keep the fish frozen) so I was concerned about the tanks bleeding into the closed compartment with the freezer as an ignition source. Because of this I put an automobile heater rubber hose on the propane tank vent valves and pipe this to an open vent line under the pickup. The tanks have been known to bleed a bit of propane especially with heating due to the day and/or a considerable altitude change and this ensures any bleed propane goes out under the truck rather than staying in the enclosed truck bed. When I have to transport my boat outboard motor tanks, I drain them fully and leave them open in the sun for a day to remove all fumes. In my opinion gasoline is more dangerous to transport than propane. By the way, I think the EPA would probably frown on a gas tank vent from a tank open to the atmosphere, for what that's worth.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

I think you were on the better track with a permanent "fuel cell" type tank mounted under the rig. I wouldn't trust a portable tank inside and there would always be a little dripping after filling and smell up the place.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
I think you were on the better track with a permanent "fuel cell" type tank mounted under the rig. I wouldn't trust a portable tank inside and there would always be a little dripping after filling and smell up the place.
I get the portable tank concerns. Generally I would fill and transport with the truck home. Although there would be some times where it would go right back in after filling.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

I ended up finding a tank that would fit in the opening in front of a drive wheel. Not ideal if a tire comes apart. But there is good room in front of it, and it isn't in the basement.

Tags
fuel