Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #15

Just a bit confused. My book also says 19 qts to change and that come out closer to 5 gals than it does to 4 gals, but 4 gals is also what the tech at the local Allison shop told me. I have the 3060mh xmission in mine. What has been the experience of others?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
When I changed over to synthetic, I checked with my RV manufacturer as to whether I had the 2" or the 4" sumps on my trans. Makes a difference in the qty of fluid. Mine, mfd in 2002, had the 2" sump... and took 19 qts.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PHESPE:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
Be very careful about the pricing. Although Allison is the only source of Transynd, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

welltrue - but there are approved replacements that are TES-295 approved

From the Alason Web site http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...jsp?ThisPage=3

When seeking a fluid for your Allison transmission that is TES 295 approved do not fall to the claims of some companies that claim that their product is TES-295 approved. The statements infer that these products "are designed to meet", "are equivalent to", "meet or exceed", etc. When determining whether or not a fluid is TES-295 approved, look and/or ask for one of two things:

# The Allison TES-295 approval number
# The Allison Approved logo

TES 295 Approval Number Approved Marketer Product Brandname
AN-011001 Castrol Heavy Duty Lubricants TranSynd
AN-031002 BP Autran Syn 295
AN-031003 Cognis Corporation Emgard 2805
AN-031004 International Truck & Engine Company Fleetrite Synthetic ATF
AN-051005 ExxonMobil Lubricants and Petroleum Specialties Company Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good post and a reminder: Do not use AMSOIL as it is NOT APPROVED!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #18

Just had my Allison 3000MH serviced this morning. They changed the fluid and filters. It took 18 qts of TranSynd to refill. They gave me what was left of the one gallon which was two quarts to use as needed. Well, they really didn't give it to me, charged me for 5 gallons.

The tech showed me that there are some pressure port plugs that must be removed to get appox. 2 quarts or so out of the transmission. He says that some techs don't remove those to drain the fluid and therefore that is why some report report 4 gals or less fluid during a change.

The price per gallon of TranSynd was $28.54 at Western Branch Diesel @ Canton, Ohio.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGRED1:
How many gallons are used to refill a 3000 series Allison trans and what is the oil change interval when using synthetic oil?

TIA! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, the 3000MH transmission warranty has just been made 5 yrs or 200,000 miles retroactive to 2004. Allison is making changes in its records to cover this, which will be complete by year end but one can call and have your tranny registered now. The major but is that it must be using 100% Transynd or equivalent. The change intervals have just been changed as well. The inital 5000 mile filter change is being dropped for all transmissions after a set serial number. They refer to these as the high capacity filter units as compared to the Gold series. The change fluid change interval is then 150,000 miles for Gold and 300,000 for high capacity. The main and lube filters must be changed at 75,000 miles. Again, all this requires that no mixing has taken place of the fluids. In either case i.e. Gold or High Capacity I doubt many RV'ers are going to be faced with a fluid change and maybe not filters as well. However, since time intervals apply as well as mileage some may run into these as forcing a change.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The price per gallon of TranSynd was $28.54 at Western Branch Diesel @ Canton, Ohio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ron: FWIW, that is the lowest price per gallon I have heard of! Sounds like you were treated well. ED
Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
Ron: FWIW, that is the lowest price per gallon I have heard of! Sounds like you were treated well. ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes and no.
The total bill came to $405.12 !!

$50.75 Filter Kit
$142.70 TranSynd (5 gal. @ 28.54 gal.)
$176.40 Labor (2.1 hours @ $84.00 Hr.)
$12.34 Misc. Shop Supplies
$22.93 Sales Tax

Came away with a warm fuzzy feeling that the tranny had been serviced by the best, but wallet was much lighter...

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #22

One note about Amsoil is that Allison does not offically reconize it as meeting its specifications. I amd not saying Amsoil is not good but it could cause a problem in a warranty claim including extended warranties.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #23

Hi Folks,
My research has determined the following:
There are 2 labs that are licensed by Allison to certify fluids to the TES-295 specification. Keep in mind that Allison charges a substantial initial licensing fee, a future % of all sales and any and all test stand development and testing cycle costs. At this moment, there exists no test stand anywhere to perform these certification tests. There is no such stand at either lab, and Allison's own stand has long since been dismantled(convenient). The estimated cost for anyone to go thru the process is 1.5 million for setting up the test stand, another 300,000 or so for the testing itself, and a piece of any future sales.
As of last week when I checked, no product has ever been certified at either lab. All the mentioned "approved" products are the result of rebranding agreements with Castrol. In fact, all of these products are relabeled "Transynd". Allison has no interest in sharing this market with anyone. As far as the AMSOIL Torque-Drive is concerned, it has virtually the same synthetic basestock from the same supplier that Castrol uses. In addition, the additive package is chemically identical to that used in "Transynd". Instead of succumbing to extortion, AMSOIL just reverse engineered the product. Given Allison's monopoly with this product, more companies should had the gumption to do the same and put their own warrantee on it. At least then there would be some competition.
The pity is that business practices like Allison's are not unusual.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does it not make sence that IF dextron III
(lowend)is good enough for the Allison, and
Transynd (highend) is better.....

Then ANY synthetic would be as good
as dextron III!!!!!TENN.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #25
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
Then ANY synthetic would be as good
as dextron III!!!!!TENN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I might say that (baseline) any synthetic is better than D3.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote