Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Trash the Leveling System

I have a 1998 Bounder 28T on a Chevy chassis. The Leveling system is a Kwickee Level Best 2000 which doesn't work properly; don't know if original or aftermarket. The RV mechanic's I took it to said the front jacks are bent and they cannot straighten, a couple solanoids needs replacing, and there is debrie in the lines. Their recommendation is to replace entire system, cost $3-4000! I am not a full-timer and, only use the MH for fairly short fishing trips. My current thinking is to trash the whole system, and use levelling blocks at improved campgrounds. Question: if I remove the system, are there auxillary componets that I may screw up, i.e., electrical clusters, installed hardware, etc? Is this a bad idea and, if so, for what reason. I think the front hydraulic jacks got bent because the MH front end sags; I had new air bags installed and sway bar bushings replaced. I guess I also need new springs to lift the front end? Any comments will be greatly welcomed.

Willis Clarke

willisclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Suggest you get a "second opinion"?

It's highly unlikely all that stuff could be wrong with any one system. Much more likely they had no clue what they were looking at, much less the experience to work on/troubleshoot?

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Maybe this will help.
I had no levelers for 20 years

Leveling a Small Class C
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
I would think the system is independent of any other system on the RV but what do you really gain by removing it? I would maybe leave and revisit repairing it later or as mentioned get a second opinion. If you do replace it entirely that would be a good time to remove it while your under there anyways.

Many good after market tire levels or a box of 2x8 ends ( and a little patience ) will get you by in the meantime.

You want it reasonably level for fridge operation and comfort. The biggest plus with levels is stability. With two or more people walking around (or wind gusts) there is a lot of movement and maybe even a little sea sickness but that is just a comfort thing and shouldn't effect your enjoyment of the rig too much

97 Fleetwood Bounder 36S on F53 chassis 460 with as many quads on the trailer that I can fit or get running!
Quaddinmad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
As others have said I would definately get a second opinion. If you leave them as is it won't cost you anything and wouldn't make any difference in coach's performance. It might make a difference someday if you decide to sell and they are not there!
Bob and Janice Ford
1998 Fleetwood Pace arrow 35'
Bama Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trash in the lines can be flushed out. Even replacing the lines if needed. I believe your system has 8 lines with 4 of them the return lines back to the tank. the tank can be flushed also. Two solenoids are cheaper than replacing four. Replacing only the two bent ones is also cheaper than replacing all four jacks.

I agree that you really need a second opinion. It does not sound like your present repair center knows very much and is just trying to do the easiest, and most profitable, for themselves.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
I have the same Motorhome but it has the Power Gear System. I got tired of replacing the Air Bags and got new front springs matched to my front axle weight. It was worth the money, never sags, handles way better on curvy roads, and never leak ! For me the Hydraulic Levelers are the best thing since sliced bread . I did blocks for years and they are workable but the ease of the jacks when you pull in and it's raining, late at night, muddy ground, making coach solid is all worth it. If your want them I believe they are worth getting second opinion and fixing them. A welding shop should be able to fabricate/fix the bent ones.

TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote